mazdaspeed protege
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on mazdaspeed protege within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; One of my students was planning on buying a WRX this past weekend. When I came into work yesterday he ...

Question mazdaspeed protege

One of my students was planning on buying a WRX this past weekend. When I came into work yesterday he tossed me his brand new mazda keys.

I have no clue about these cars but I told him I would find out some stuff for him (after telling him he should have gotten the WRX) . I have not been to successful in finding a good forum for his car. Does anyone have a clue about this protege? I hear I handels like a dream but that is all I can gather. Also the little info the dealer gave him said that its 1/4 mile time was 15.5 and that its would beat a WRX. I am only guessing that this would be true if the WRX was a 4EAT and had the AC on. With that said what do you guys know about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My co-worker also has one. It handles very well, nice wheels, big brakes, etc ... But it's slightly down on power, about 170 hp. Thats probably due to about 6 psi of boost and a postage stamp sized intercooler. I really dont think it could take a stock wrx even from a roll. It may be close though in the right situation.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

i think from the dig, and if the wrx is in reverse, the mazdaspeed would walk it. thats my 2 cents.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

I've never even seen one...what do they look like?

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

That was one of my choices vs. the Rex. I think in stock form, it would leave us in the twisties. Tranny issues were the reason for the 170 hp max output. Over that, it gets dicey. Nice stock stereo though.

I never got to see the front of the car but I did like the wheels and brakes. I did see that tiny I/C in their magazine ad

Any idea on what kind of turbo and safe boost levels? I guess Im asking how does it do with mods?

Thanks for the input so far. Thats why I love this place quick helpful people

here's a cool link...even if it is Canadian

http://www.sportandtouringcar.com/Pr...Mazdaspeed.htm

Originally posted by driverj
    here's a cool link...even if it is Canadian

http://www.sportandtouringcar.com/Pr...Mazdaspeed.htm
    Thanks for the link. To be honest, that car doesn't impress me much...

RN

Ike
    Might be a fun autox car, but beyond that's it's another Mazda car that lacks umph.

http://www.protegeclub.com

I used to have a Protege5 and learned a lot about these cars when I frequented this forum. There are some parts that increase the hp a bit but nothing considerable.

Unfortunately, Mazda took the exact same engine in the 2.0 ES, Protege5 or MP3 and threw a turbo onto it. Therefore the compression is a bit high for a turbo engine and the internals are not particularly strong. I think it can handle about 9 PSi max before things start going wrong.
    Mazda also put some special clamps around the turbo and other parts that can not be unclamped without needing new replacements. This is how the dealerships can tell if someone has done something to their turbo and can void the warranty. Pretty sneaky.

The car handles fantastic but at only 170 hp(and knowing Mazda that could be an overstatement) it lacks power for any straights. It also has noticably poor torque steer. Nice car though. Did he get the black or orange??
    '02 Silver WRX
    - PDX Tuned Stage 2.5 w/ APS FMIC, ACT Street clutch & flywheel

Originally posted by Shawn
    http://www.protegeclub.com

I used to have a Protege5 and learned a lot about these cars when I frequented this forum. There are some parts that increase the hp a bit but nothing considerable.

Unfortunately, Mazda took the exact same engine in the 2.0 ES, Protege5 or MP3 and threw a turbo onto it. Therefore the compression is a bit high for a turbo engine and the internals are not particularly strong. I think it can handle about 9 PSi max before things start going wrong.
    Mazda also put some special clamps around the turbo and other parts that can not be unclamped without needing new replacements. This is how the dealerships can tell if someone has done something to their turbo and can void the warranty. Pretty sneaky.

The car handles fantastic but at only 170 hp(and knowing Mazda that could be an overstatement) it lacks power for any straights. It also has noticably poor torque steer. Nice car though. Did he get the black or orange??
    Its internals can only handle about 9 psi?? Holy crap! I've seen PTs with 10-12 on internals (of course, no further than that...)... Yikes!

RN

Edit: Not trying to bash the car or anything, just in case anyone starts to think that...
    Last edited by renichms; 09-03-2003 at 02:50 PM.

imho www.msprotege.com is better than protegeclub.com. i used to have an mp3 and there is where i spent most of my time online.
    2002 Platinum Silver WRX

A friend of mine had me test out a speed at a dealer. It's pretty fast, but not enough pull. The rex will beat it hands down.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

I've driven this car before, and I'd have to say that it's a great overall package for the money (around $20,000). It may not be as bang-for-the-buck as a Dodge SRT-4, but at least this car comes with 17" Racing Hart wheels, a Racing Beat muffler, a 450-watt Kenwood eXcelon MP3 CD player, a much nicer interior (including Sparco pedals and shift knob and a short-throw shifter), plus rear power windows--something that Dodge just happened to forget.

If you pop open the hood, you'll see the tiny T-25 turbo and an intercooler the size of a box of macaroni. Even though it's only 170 hp, it's virtually lag-free, and power is available right away. The only problem is that as a result of the low boost and quick spool-up, the Mazdaspeed runs out of breath a lot more quickly than a stock WRX. Sure, the power delivery is smooth, but I expected a little bit more oomph in the higher rpms. But the advantage of this is that in normal day-to-day driving (consisting of shifts below 4,000 rpm) all of the low-end power is handy. While turning at higher speeds, you can feel the benefit of the LSD as well as the bigger-than-normal wheels. All of this combined leaves you with a car that feels quicker than an Acura RSX Type-S.

The best published times I've seen for this car were by Motor Trend (October 2002 issue), and they got a 0-60 mph time of 6.5 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 14.9 seconds at 93.2 mph. So from a standstill to the end of a quarter-mile, the Mazdaspeed is quicker than an RSX Type-S, but after the quarter-mile, the Acura will walk away, which is predictable from its higher trap speed, despite its slower quarter-mile time.

The bottom line is that the Mazdaspeed Protege is a great all-around car for around $20,000 (as opposed to the Dodge SRT-4, which is all speed and little convenience), but most of us would rather shell out that extra few grand to get the WRX.

One of my friends got one and I had some time behind the wheel, best front wheel driver cornering car I have ever been in.

Well damped but not too stiff, very little body roll and very little understeer. It has a great diff in it (torque sensing limited slip I believe).

Turbo is a small T25 but ball bearing so spool up is good, but max power out of it is held back because of its size. Not that is matters, like it has been said weak internals, high compression, weak tranny, tiny intercooler.

Great package for the price, nice interior, nice stereo, nice wheels, but not that great of a tuning platform for big power.

Quick easy mods are a catless downpipe (APEX is the only on that makes one for now) because the stock one is crap, bigger exhaust because the racing beat one is the same small diameter as the MP3, intake because again the stock one sucks, manual boost controller because the car is tuned extremely rich and is relatively safe around 8 to 9 psi on 93 without fear of pinging. As far as tuning goes they run into trouble, there is a fuel pressure reduction kit and fuel cut defenser from JoeP but no reflash and no piggybacks seem to work yet. And good Lord get a new intercooler, its like the size of size ten shoe. Total crap.

Those mods seem to get the car into the mid to low 14s well driven, but that probably the limit on stock internals anyways. Like I said great package and handling, limited potential.
    I claim no responsibility for unintentional offense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.