STi vs. 944 turbo - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on STi vs. 944 turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Ahmet I wouldn't pay /gallon for gas unless I really needed it. I don't knock @19psi w/93 ...

Ike
    Originally posted by Ahmet
    I wouldn't pay $5/gallon for gas unless I really needed it. I don't knock @19psi w/93 octane gas. I'm just saying the turbos don't live long... I did 19psi on 89 oct. before but it had too much ignition retard...
    Ahmet
    Be happy you don't live in Europe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sooo, I went to checkout Jim's ride...

I certainly didn't expect it to be as fast as it was, w/3 passangers no less! You say my car feels similar up top, I disagree... Maybe "closer" on the top end, but no still not close. Ofcourse I was too busy being scared for my life, trying to watch the EGT/Boost to pay strict attention to our acceleration. It did catch me off guard though, I didn't expect to get into that after I beat a C5 and an STi, I certainly didn't have high expectations. So how much power do you think you were making today, 300whp? I will be aiming to 375whp on pump gas (pump gas being 93 oct., hopefully @no higher than 19-20psi of boost). My only grounds for feeling OK after tonight is the fact that I have about $6300 into my car, including purchase! I aim at $9k for project total w/375whp, track capable brakes (pads away), and some 600ish # coil overs.

You see this, I'm telling you my goals just so that I can sleep tonight. I imagine your car to be one of the top 10 fastest cars I've ridden in, w/out the extra two passangers, and higher boost, and I've been around some fast cars (viper/vette/yellowbird, 996 tt, etc.)
    Ahmet

Ike, I learned how to drive a car in Turkey, I know about gas prices... However it's hard not to miss the driving oportunities in europe, be it on track or otherwise.
    Ahmet

Ike
    I bet, one of these days I'll drive on the Nurburing

Thanks for the compliments Ahmet, I really appreciate it. For those people who don't know about 944 Turbos, they are very quick. And to think, he has over 200,000 miles on his car. You could tell that that car was purpose built. The brakes were great, far better than mine (stock everything at 40,000)

I apologize for going that fast on the road we were on, that was a potentialy stupid move. I'm also sorry that you had to feel how sucky the stock WRX brakes were.

We'll have to do it again when I get my barrel of 112. Maybe we can do some timed runs to 100 or more. I'd like to see what my 60-120 time would be on high boost.

Next up for me: new brakes!

Talk to you later
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Thanks for the compliments on my brake set up, but you have to realize there isn't much stock on my car other than the rear calipers and even those are (monoblock 4 piston, fixed) brembos. Actually I do need to adjust the brake bias... Anyway stock WRX brakes are marginal at best and not adequate on track w/the stock power. If you add so much as 50hp, they're worthless. If I were you, I would go get pads and fluid now. If you want to flush the system, I wouldn't mind helping, and I've got some DOT 4 super blue racing fluid you can have.

We should do some timed 70-100 runs. My turbo has done 3.4 secs 70-100 in 3rd @19 psi, and that was w/93 octane pump gas. I'd be curious to see how your car would compare to that. Also, if you're serious about doing track events (VIR or CMP), you will need serious cooling. Doing two 20-100 runs is a good deal different than doing it back to back for 40-70mins at a time. There's a couple of other issues, like overheating wheelbearings etc. on tracked WRX's, specially those w/modified brakes/suspension/power, but I doubt this'd be a problem for you since you won't be going to R-compound tires. Controlling brake temps is critical if you want longetivity out of the related/surrounding parts however.

I like having more money than I could think of needing, but you make it hard to resist putting a few more gs in the car, even though it goes against my general motto of not wanting to spending significant dough on a street car.

Anyway, yes keep in touch.
    Ahmet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.