An STI finally...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on An STI finally... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been dying to race an STI. I finally got my chance the other day. I was leaving a ...

An STI finally...

I have been dying to race an STI. I finally got my chance the other day. I was leaving a car show when I saw this blue STI pull out next to me. We proceded to chat and his friend w/ a 02 wagon came up also. He proceded to claim that he had 250whp w/his stock turbo and intercooler and I asked if I could try both of them. To make a long story short I put over 4 cars on the wagon and then the STI came to play. Now dont get me wrong I love the STI but I love my car even more :-)...From a 35mph roll, I must have had over 3-4 cars on him before I shut down at 100mph. I was still pulling hard by the way. Now I was pretty sure I should have won w/my stage 4 and stock intercooler but Im only tuned to 260whp right now and I pulled him real hard. It didnt make sense to me and he claimed I have much more whp than I was claiming. It was still nice to pull it though for now, until of course he starts to mod his....I wonder w/my fmic coming and my headers what he would have to do to pull me??????
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

maybe he was keeping it under 4k
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Re: An STI finally...

Originally posted by 13secwrx
    I have been dying to race an STI. I finally got my chance the other day. I was leaving a car show when I saw this blue STI pull out next to me. We proceded to chat and his friend w/ a 02 wagon came up also. He proceded to claim that he had 250whp w/his stock turbo and intercooler and I asked if I could try both of them. To make a long story short I put over 4 cars on the wagon and then the STI came to play. Now dont get me wrong I love the STI but I love my car even more :-)...From a 35mph roll, I must have had over 3-4 cars on him before I shut down at 100mph. I was still pulling hard by the way. Now I was pretty sure I should have won w/my stage 4 and stock intercooler but Im only tuned to 260whp right now and I pulled him real hard. It didnt make sense to me and he claimed I have much more whp than I was claiming. It was still nice to pull it though for now, until of course he starts to mod his....I wonder w/my fmic coming and my headers what he would have to do to pull me??????
    Good race, but a stage 4 should be able to take a stock STi if driven well.
    I ran 8.22 @ 83 mph in the 1/8 mile with my 02 WRX with just a turboback exhaust and a VF30 turbo swap. (stock fuel injectors, IC, computer, etc).
    Thats faster than the STi's are running.

With a full stage 4 setup (off the shelf unichip - no dyno tuning) with stock IC, I ran 8.18 @ 84 mph in the 1/8 mile. Thats a quite a bit faster than the STi's are running.

So I would definately expect a WRX with a VF30 and mods to be a handful for a stock STi.

About the front mount IC and headers. I know a few guys that have gone that route with poor results. They actually ran faster in the 1/4 mile with the stock IC setup. Something to think about before spending all that money.

Re: Re: An STI finally...

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Good race, but a stage 4 should be able to take a stock STi if driven well.
    I ran 8.22 @ 83 mph in the 1/8 mile with my 02 WRX with just a turboback exhaust and a VF30 turbo swap. (stock fuel injectors, IC, computer, etc).
    Thats faster than the STi's are running.

With a full stage 4 setup (off the shelf unichip - no dyno tuning) with stock IC, I ran 8.18 @ 84 mph in the 1/8 mile. Thats a quite a bit faster than the STi's are running.

So I would definately expect a WRX with a VF30 and mods to be a handful for a stock STi.

About the front mount IC and headers. I know a few guys that have gone that route with poor results. They actually ran faster in the 1/4 mile with the stock IC setup. Something to think about before spending all that money.
    What boost were you running with you stock setup and VF30. Likewise, what boost with you stage 4 setup? ...by the way those are good numbers!

Hmmmm.....I see someone has the britney kiss in their avatar already.
    -Rob
    02 WRX

Re: Re: Re: An STI finally...

Originally posted by modvp
    What boost were you running with you stock setup and VF30. Likewise, what boost with you stage 4 setup? ...by the way those are good numbers!
    I ran close to 17 psi at the track that day. My WRX ran great with the VF30 and stock fuel, computer etc.
    My car really wasn't much faster after the fuel injectors and stage 4 unichip.
    With my stage 4 Setup I ran 18- 19 psi at the track. I always ice down my IC and made my runs on a cold engine. It really helps. The longer you let you car sit and cool the faster it will run.
    I liked to get to the track on Saturdays real early before it opens. Then just let the car sit for a long time and cool. Thats how I ran 13.3 @100 mph with Turboxs stage 2 setup.

Thanks SGOSWRX,
    I currently have the vf30 with exhaust mods, walbro HP fuel pump and boost controller. i have it at 14.5 psi of boost. Currently waiting for more money for sti injectors and utec.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.