VW 1.8L Beating A WRX????
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW 1.8L Beating A WRX???? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I found this site on accident. VW enthusiasts busting on Subaru's. What gives. I have owned 3 VW's and they ...

I Support ClubWRX

VW 1.8L Beating A WRX????

I found this site on accident. VW enthusiasts busting on Subaru's. What gives. I have owned 3 VW's and they were all the biggest POS in the world.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...&lp=1015429145

Check it out. Makes me mad:
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah thats interesting, the hating could have been worse though.
    I was seriously looking at getting a GTI before I found out about the WRX. I still really like the GTI, but was frustrated that it has all wheel drive in other countries, but not here.
    Enter WRX, it just provided everything i was looking for with the all wheel drive, and added performance. Yeah, just thought I'd share since it had me remeniscing a bit...
    o-|-<) bryan
    p.s. why do so many 1.8T owners think they can go head to head against a WRX? denial?

Long Time VW/Audi Enthusiast Giving a Piece of His Mind Here...

Ok here's the deal...first of all, I have to disagree on you about VWs being the bigest POS ever. Sure they may have their share of problems but remember, we're talking about a company who came from building economy cars. I have tuned VWs adn Audis for a long time and I have a few comments to make regarding this website that you found. The reason a lot of people who own GTI 1.8Ts think they have a chance against the WRX is because they actually do! Believe it or not. With turbo, it is easy to crank up boost and pump out twice the power of the stock engine. VW engines are very strong but from what this guy put as his mods, I am a bit skeptical...a GIAC 1.3 bar chip will only reach it's full potential with a 3 inch exhaust system, which he doesn't have. That Aerospeed intake doesn't do much except make noise so you can factor that mod out of the equation. That PES diverter valve works to keep the boost up when letting off the gas but other than that, doesn't really "add" any power. So he really only is operating off of the chip. But with the chip alone, I highly doubt that he can beat a stock WRX by as far as he claims. Maybe if he gets a good launch, he can keep up close with the WRX but be it a front drive, the best launch won't match the all wheel drive launch of the Impreza. Also, with that much power, you're talking major torque steer unless he upgrades to a Quaife differential. Even though I tune and mess around with VWs and think they are great cars, I think this guy is a bunch of BS! He seems like one of those many punk kids with GTIs that I constantly have to deal with. Plus truth of the matter in the VW world is that the 1.8T is the fastest thing alive...now that's just plain ignorance. Yes, I can build a VW GTI 1.8T to out accelerate and out handle a WRX...true! But it takes much much more than a simple chip to do so. Don't underestimate the potential of the 1.8T, but also don't take these anonamous VW punk kids too seriously. If I were to guess, I'd say it was the other way around. the WRX probably had him by far. I have driven many "chipped-only" GTI 1.8Ts and recently just drove a stock WRX...since a chipped GTI pumps out around 210hp at the crank, it's a close match in terms of power but the overall performance of the WRX is better. That's all I have to say...but it is wrong to call any car a POS. Each car is built for a purpose but it's only a POS when people use them for other things beside what they were meant for. For the price, the GTI 1.8T is a bargain with a strong 1.8L 20v turbo 4 cyl engine and can provide loads of fun with simple mods but I don't think it can be compared to the WRX...they are entirely different cars from the ground up.
    Impreza WRX STi owner to be

I am asking this in a friendly way here, just curious: Kurlee, why did you own 3 different VWs if you weren't happy with any of them?
    o-|-<) bryan

I lay the smack down to VW/Audi 1.8Ts all the time at Atco. This one girl, whose NY licence plate reads 18T GIRL and she put a blue dot between the 1 and the 8 said, "I bought the wrong car. I should've got a Subaru!" I'm not even kidding, she was really upset that her worked and stripped A4 couldn't even come close to me in the 1/4. I gave her some driving tips and she got down to like 14.2, but I was running 13.8xx all day long and she wasn't liking that at all.

-Jim

SpeedR...
    I just had to say that was a great and Civil reply.

I'll second that.

-Jim

Originally posted by mhoward1
    SpeedR...
    I just had to say that was a great and Civil reply.

1.8T have a lot of potential. They are fairly fast after chip and exhaust. So if you are stock and you run up against a chipped 1.8T with some exhaust work (golf, jetta, TT.. which ever.) you might lose.

whoa, wait

One of the dudes said that the wrx should be in the suv class??

uuummmmm................

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, I suppose an Evo I-VII belongs in the SUV class too...hehe
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Originally posted by Verdugo
    Yes, I suppose an Evo I-VII belongs in the SUV class too...hehe
    And the Carrera 4, the Jaguar X-type...um.... the Porsche 959 DEFINATELY.... the European version of the Golf with 4-motion, and the Jetta, etc. etc.

LOL, as if! Why would anyone waste their time racing with a 1.8L engine in a FWD car? Stupid VW drivers, shoulda bought a WRX!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Originally posted by RSXSucks
    LOL, as if! Why would anyone waste their time racing with a 1.8L engine in a FWD car? Stupid VW drivers, shoulda bought a WRX!
    SHUT THE F$#% UP!!!

I never thought I'd say this, but you newbies have got to chill. Neither of you even have 30 posts to your name yet and already you're flat out throwing down straight up insults. C'mon guys, this "WRX v. The World" topic is supposed to be fun.

Originally posted by bedabi
    I C'mon guys, this "WRX v. The World" topic is supposed to be fun.
    Now this I agree with. I may be a newbie to this board, but not to Forums alltogether. I don't mind someone saying they love a particular car. Just about everything in life is purely suggestive. What I don't like is someone posting basically the same thing over and over again in just about every thread, 30 times over. I enjoy this board immensely, and have had a few run-ins with a couple people who figured I am only here to flaunt my car, or something along those lines. I am here merely as a car enthusiast and am looking for conversation from the same. Repeated posts from what sounds like a 16 year old, I can live without.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.