Celica?

This is a discussion on Celica? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Do people even race Celicas? Are they any good? and has anybody raced against one? If so, how much did ...

Lightbulb Celica?

Do people even race Celicas? Are they any good? and has anybody raced against one? If so, how much did you win/loose by? I haven't seen too many celicas around lately and I heard they weren't all that bad.
    I don't know where it went wrong with my last girlfriend, or "tubby" as i called her...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know about racing Celica's. But yesterday I was leaving my work and it took me a while to get a clear lane to cross the busy street, and some older man in a late 90's Celica is coming down the road at me. It doesn't seem as though he is going any faster over the speed limit. So I get across the street before he comes, I wind out 1st and 2nd and he is still coming at me, so I start revving up 3rd, and this guy won't let me over. I need to turn left at the light. I look down at my speedo and I am doing over 50mph. I finally had to weave into his lane to get into the turning lane. This guy must have seen my car, sped up, just so he wouldn't let me over. What an A$$. So I get in front of him and he honks the horn for like 15 seconds. I look back at him, shake me head as to say, what the hell is your problem, and then I took the corner sorta hard onto the free way, and here comes old man trying to keep up with me. So I reved out 2nd and 3rd to about 6000 rpm and never saw hime again.

I should start a group WAGO (WRX's Against Grumpy OldPeople)

Maybe do a search? I found the following thread: WRX vs GTS celica

-Pace

tan
    Many of th 7th gen (2000+) claimed they raced a WRX and beat it. You know and I know, The only way a Celica GTS (2ZZ-GE) if the WRX driver is a horrible driver, or didn't care and let him win.

I don't waste my fuel on Celicas unless I hear a BOV or some other indication of WAY more than stock HP under the hood. They are too freaking slow for me to bother with. Now in the twisties, I'd be happy if I could hang with a super light Celica GTS six speed.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Now in the twisties, I'd be happy if I could hang with a super light Celica GTS six speed.

-Jim
    You think we'd have problems in the turns? I heard they're terribe in rain... just figured that would carry over to dry driving too (somewhat.. not totally). And cause them to be just 'so so' in the curves.

On a side note, I was driving yesterday (had an Avenger behind me and wanted him off my butt) so I punched it and got up to about 60-70 but was coming up to a turn (slowly decreasing radius left turn) so I get on the brakes to slow down and I didn't feel real comfortable with the back end. Seemed like it was breaking loose, or about to, just didn't hold the road like my modded civic would. And because of it the Avenger caught back up to me. Any suggestions as to why it felt this way? I am totally stock so do you think the tires are my problem? Or do I need to stiffen up the rear end? I know it's a little bit more 'plush' than my lowered suspension Civic, so I might just be feeling the cushyness of it. But really wasn't comfortable with pushing it around the turn like that. Don't want to wreck my baby for some stupid tuning problem.

If you have the stock, or should I say suck, RE92s, try 33psi front, 29psi rear. I run this for daily driving and grip is decent. You should've heard those tires bitching when I was driving home form the Poconos on Saturday morning. I drifted around a corner in Wrightstown on Swamp Rd. All fours tires squealing, solidly in my lane and a MFing Ford Explorer coming the other way honked at me!!! I was, "Damn, I gotta get those Dunlops ASAP." Then I went for more HP instead. Go figure!?

-Jim

Originally posted by beastcivic
    On a side note, I was driving yesterday (had an Avenger behind me and wanted him off my butt) so I punched it and got up to about 60-70 but was coming up to a turn (slowly decreasing radius left turn) so I get on the brakes to slow down and I didn't feel real comfortable with the back end. Seemed like it was breaking loose, or about to, just didn't hold the road like my modded civic would. And because of it the Avenger caught back up to me. Any suggestions as to why it felt this way? I am totally stock so do you think the tires are my problem? Or do I need to stiffen up the rear end? I know it's a little bit more 'plush' than my lowered suspension Civic, so I might just be feeling the cushyness of it. But really wasn't comfortable with pushing it around the turn like that. Don't want to wreck my baby for some stupid tuning problem.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    If you have the stock, or should I say suck, RE92s, try 33psi front, 29psi rear. I run this for daily driving and grip is decent. You should've heard those tires bitching when I was driving home form the Poconos on Saturday morning. I drifted around a corner in Wrightstown on Swamp Rd. All fours tires squealing, solidly in my lane and a MFing Ford Explorer coming the other way honked at me!!! I was, "Damn, I gotta get those Dunlops ASAP." Then I went for more HP instead. Go figure!?

-Jim

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I do have the RE 92's. Do they suck that bad? I mean, they held up great in the rain (much better than my Dunlop Sport W-10's did).

I'm assuming you have the stock tires too?

I've been meaning to check tire pressure since I read someone said out of the dealer lot theirs had 45psi or something like that. I'll check it at lunch. Gotta remember one more psi up front than my civic... and one less psi in the rear than my civic. =)

at a stop light, Celica GT-S 6spd have no chance.
    But from a roll and 50mph and up, he might walk you due to better aerodynamics and top end. Our 4th and 5th gear sucks.
    So, don't count them out from on highway races.

Celica's completely suck. If any car sucks worse than the RSX, it is the Celica. Why would you waste your time and gas on an NA 1.8L FWD car? Nah, my friend certainly doesn't bother. He goes after bigger stuff like Z28s. Usually he wins because, let's be honest, most people don't know how to launch and my friend does. Doesn't matter if the Celica driver gets a perfect launch, he will NEVER come close to beating even a stock WRX.

I have no respect for people who don't race challenging cars. Guess that is when I started realizing that the RSX sucks so much... when Neons, Cavs, and Sunfires were a challenge for me (all have more torque than me ).
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Thanks Platinum

Hey Plat,
    Thanks for reminding me to check tire pressure. They were at 35-36 psi all around. Set them back to where they should be, went for a short drive. Front tires squeal a little more, but it doesn't slide out nearly as much. Mucho Gracias!

Re: Thanks Platinum

No problem. It's amazing how much tire pressure affects an AWD car's handling, but it makes sense, I guess.

-Jim

Originally posted by beastcivic
    Hey Plat,
    Thanks for reminding me to check tire pressure. They were at 35-36 psi all around. Set them back to where they should be, went for a short drive. Front tires squeal a little more, but it doesn't slide out nearly as much. Mucho Gracias!