wrx vs modded 1988 supra turbo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx vs modded 1988 supra turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; testing...

wrx vs modded 1988 supra turbo

testing

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry about that i have been trying to post for a while now and it hasn't let me so i figured instead of typing my whole story again i would see if it would work first so here is my story. I have a 1988 supra turbo with a list of mods on the bottom. I ran a 14.0@102mph last spring and since then i replaced my 225s with 275s in the rear and i also replaced the stock intercooler with an hks one and a hardpipe kit. So i figure or at least hope im good for high 13s. I came across a silver wrx with 3 people in it today on hamburge turnpike in NJ. I didn't know if he would want to race or not and there were alot of cars on the road in front of us so i gave it a little gas so he could hear my blowoff valve. He then cuts around me and gets in front of me and we are at a red light he is in front of me im right behind him. I figure a wrx stock runs a mid 14 i have seen a 14.1 before but thats with a perfect run. He also had 3 passengers so i was thinking he would be pushing it to even run a mid 14 with a perfect run. I was also thinking he might still take me off the line, but on the top end a wrx is like a high 14 second car, its on low 14s because of the awd plus he had 3 passengers on the top end my car is like a mid 13 second car, my car is just bad off the line. So im ready to launch when the light turns green and he just putts along im thinking he blew it , its only advantage is his awd. Then he hits it. I pull into the lane next to him and floor it, 1st gear winds out dead even, 2nd gear winds out dead even. Im thinking **** what is going on here. As we shift into third im still not gaining on him a car pulls out in front of us and we both slow down, then he floors it and cut around the car and follow him but i was not catching him it was a lost cause so i let off. This from from a stop to about 65 maybe 70mph when i let off he kept going to i would imagine 80 or more, then he gave me the good old flashers. I came up to him at the next light just gave him a wave he gave me a wave back. I wish i would have gotten to talk to him but there was alot of traffic. I sure hope it was not stock, but from the exterior it looked bone stock.

Nick
    1988 Supra Turbo (5 speed)
    Ported and Polished Head
    Manual boost controller (9-11psi)
    K&N intake
    Ams downpipe, no cats Hks sport exhaust
    Custom Racing Clutch
    245x17x45 275x17x40
    HKS intercooler with hardpipe kit
    Greddy Metal Headgasket
    Greddy turbo timer
    Phatom boost gauge
    Tokico Illumina IIs
    Eibbach sport lowering springs

14.0@102mph w/o HKS intercooler, hardpipe kit on 225s all around

Shotting for high 13s on friday

Honest victim of a wrx

Heh heh heh...

Mine looks bone stock too. I like to do soft launches as much as possible and just let the turbo kick in as well. It saves a whole lot of wear on the tranny. 20,000+ miles and not a glitch yet!

Haven't been to the track, but I ran a 14.3 quarter mile on a g-tech with a 2,500 RPM launch, and easy shifts.

(TurboXS stage 1 chip, up pipe, Stromung muffler, Samco inlet hose and intercooler hoses, removed 3rd cat)

Thumbs down

Nice run. But, racing in heavy traffic? Kinda stupid....
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

We waited until the traffic cleared to run. We were stopped at a red light being the first cars in line so there were no cars in front of us. A car pulled out of a parking lot and cut us off but other then that there was no traffic for at least a 1/2 mile up the road. Its not like we were weaving in and out of traffic.

--- Nice run. But, racing in heavy traffic? Kinda stupid.... ---

Someone get this guy a little crossing guard apron and a whistle, wtf are u the traffic police

After buying my wrx I have not driven my auto 89 supra in a while, well tonight I took the supra out and all I could say is wow, I guess I started getting used to the wrx and totally forgot how fast that damn thing was It pulls like crazy till 80, even more probably, but I just stopped pushing it...It is boosting around 14.5psi, its got an intake and a full 3" down pipe and thats it. My subaru is still bone stock, I am just hoping that it can be as fast as my supra with some mods. It already out handles it , so I am guessing that is a start.

My brother has a wrx and he also had a 1988 turbo supra the ran a 14.3 with a slipping clutch. He has driven my car and said his stock wrx could keep up with my car 1st and 2nd but he thinks my car would walk away in 3rd and up. So i am hoping that wrx with the 3 people in it was not stock, but who knows like i said before maybe my car has gotten slower since last spring.

Nick
    1988 Supra Turbo (5 speed)
    Ported and Polished Head
    Manual boost controller (9-11psi)
    K&N intake
    Ams downpipe, no cats Hks sport exhaust
    Custom Racing Clutch
    245x17x45 275x17x40
    HKS intercooler with hardpipe kit
    Greddy Metal Headgasket
    Greddy turbo timer
    Phatom boost gauge
    Tokico Illumina IIs
    Eibbach sport lowering springs
    bosch blow off valve

14.0@102mph w/o HKS intercooler, hardpipe kit on 225s all around

Shooting for high 13s on friday

Honest victim of a wrx

LOL, you are only running a 14.0 flat? You do realize that a $40 MBC will put a WRX into the mid 13s, right?

LOL, you want to beat someone, race my mid 15s RSX, but you don't have a chance against the WRX.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Wow thats a brilliant comment a car running a 14.0 doesn't stand a chance against a wrx? hmm well why don't you inspect the post a little better. For starters a Wrx is going to have a hard time running 13s with just that mod unless it has a really really good driver, to get the 14.1 that the mags get you have to launch the **** out of it and thats the best number i have seen, i have seen more mid 14s stock. Secondly a high 13 second car racing a 14.0 car is a damn good race, without a perfect run from both cars the 14.0 car could easily win. I also said im shooting for high 13s and my trap speed was 102 should be 104 or so by now. The wrx runs a trap of 95 or so which means my car should theoretically walk all over a wrx past 3rd gear, so unless the wrx launches hard he is in for a beating. Now i admitted my loss and it was to a wrx with three people in it, and i know what my car runs so im guessing it was not stock. My brother has a stock wrx and if you want to ask him you can, he said my 14.0 "thats it" supra would walk his wrx. And i wouldn't waste my time running against a mid 15 second rsx if i was going to do that i would get a new battery for my dad's 1988 turbo t-bird with 150k miles bone stock and race you , that might actually be a good race.

One last thing im glad you bought the RSX it would be a shame for such a moron like you to own a WRX. Nice cars deserve respectful drivers.

Originally posted by elohdaeh78
    Wow thats a brilliant comment a car running a 14.0 doesn't stand a chance against a wrx? hmm well why don't you inspect the post a little better. For starters a Wrx is going to have a hard time running 13s with just that mod unless it has a really really good driver, to get the 14.1 that the mags get you have to launch the **** out of it and thats the best number i have seen, i have seen more mid 14s stock. Secondly a high 13 second car racing a 14.0 car is a damn good race, without a perfect run from both cars the 14.0 car could easily win. I also said im shooting for high 13s and my trap speed was 102 should be 104 or so by now. The wrx runs a trap of 95 or so which means my car should theoretically walk all over a wrx past 3rd gear, so unless the wrx launches hard he is in for a beating. Now i admitted my loss and it was to a wrx with three people in it, and i know what my car runs so im guessing it was not stock. My brother has a stock wrx and if you want to ask him you can, he said my 14.0 "thats it" supra would walk his wrx. And i wouldn't waste my time running against a mid 15 second rsx if i was going to do that i would get a new battery for my dad's 1988 turbo t-bird with 150k miles bone stock and race you , that might actually be a good race.
    Hey, your supra against a stock WRX would be close, just don't mess up your launch! Your supra against a WRX with MBC, well, you better PRAY that the WRX completely messes up the launch because you would be going down hard otherwise.

And in case you didn't notice, I was kidding about you racing the RSX. I completely agree that it wouldn't be worth your time. Why do you think I say that the RSX sucks?? Oh, and I doubt that your t-bird vs my RSX would be a good race either unless your t-bird has trouble vs Cavs and Neons!
    2002 RSX Type S

EDIT:
    Whoa, both of you guys are newbies as far as I'm concerned and you're already starting a freaking flame-fest. Knock it off. -Jim

Wait are you making fun of my car running a 14.0? because of all the mods it has? You have to remember my car weighs 3600 pounds, i has 150k miles on it and its not awd. You may be able to run mid 13s with a wrx, not just with that mod but with 1000 bucks you could probably run mid to low 13s. Not sure of the sea level where i live but maybe there will be some wrxs at the track on friday and then i can compare my car to them. My 102mph trap speed also shows you that my car isn't a drag car its made more for top end. You could beat me really bad 0-60 but keep going to 110mph and i will be way ahead of you.

Nick
    Last edited by PlatinumWRX; 04-03-2002 at 12:28 PM.

Wait are you making fun of my car running a 14.0? because of all the mods it has? You have to remember my car weighs 3600 pounds, i has 150k miles on it and its not awd. You may be able to run mid 13s with a wrx, not just with that mod but with 1000 bucks you could probably run mid to low 13s. Not sure of the sea level where i live but maybe there will be some wrxs at the track on friday and then i can compare my car to them. My 102mph trap speed also shows you that my car isn't a drag car its made more for top end. You could beat me really bad 0-60 but keep going to 110mph and i will be way ahead of you.

Nick
    First of all, I couldn't beat you if my life depended on it, I drive an RSX.

Second of all, go to the 1/4 section of this board. You think that a 102mph trap speed is impressive compared to a lightly modded WRX? I'm really not trying to insult you but you will have to do far better than a 102mph trap speed to beat a lightly modded WRX from any speed. I guess you could hang with one from a roll, but beat one? Nope.
    2002 RSX Type S

EDIT:
    Whoa, both of you guys are newbies as far as I'm concerned and you're already starting a freaking flame-fest. Knock it off. -Jim
    My apologies, I didn't mean to insult anyone.
    2002 RSX Type S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.