WRX vs. 1972? Chevy Impala

This is a discussion on WRX vs. 1972? Chevy Impala within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I pulled up at a light last night near my house. Sitting in the lane to my left is this ...

WRX vs. 1972? Chevy Impala

I pulled up at a light last night near my house. Sitting in the lane to my left is this early 70's Impala, very clean and stock looking, nice rumble to it. Sounds like a big block with a mild cam. Probably stock. I give it a little gas when the light changed (launched slightly), and I see him start to go too.

I mash the gas.
    Shift to 2nd, his front bumper goes to my rear
    Shift to 3rd, he is about 3 Impala lenghts behind me.
    Shift to 4th and start to slow, he is a good 5 lenghts behind.
    He gasses it, starts to catch up.
    I mash the gas (in 4th@2k rpm ) and he scoots by.
    He gives the thumbs up and smiles, makes a left.
    I give a thumbs up and smile back, make a right.

He was grinning from ear to ear and so was I.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Cool...if they're not done up right, they are just gas guzzling, slow hunks of steel! It must suck driving an old school American "muscle car" and losing to one of the crazy lookin' new imports! lol
    2003 SRT-4

I would have preferred racing him in my Torino for the nostalgia feel. It would have been a closer race too, but I still would have won.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by AjIsDope
    I would have preferred racing him in my Torino for the nostalgia feel. It would have been a closer race too, but I still would have won.
    would have been cool to see a vid of the torino vs. the impala
    2003 SRT-4

Ooooo.....that would have been great! Too bad I don't have a video camera.

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    Cool...if they're not done up right, they are just gas guzzling, slow hunks of steel! It must suck driving an old school American "muscle car" and losing to one of the crazy lookin' new imports! lol
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Did you just call an 1972 Impala a... MUSCLE CAR?! Wow, that caught so much off guard I almost missed you say the WRX is "crazy looking" And no mater what you do to them, they are always/have been "gas guzzling, slow hunks of steel." Leave em at the LowRider Show, not the track.
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

Dude - c'mon now. I have seen some of those old boats run 10's. They had a 409ci big block in a few of them. Sure, they are big and heavy, but some of them did have some strength.

You saw a 1972 IMPALA Street car run 10s?.... (where is a lmao happy face when you need one?) Now if you saw a drag car with a 1972 Impala shell run 10s... I am taking NOTHING from your kill, if that's what your worrying about. But Impalas aren't muscle cars, aren't fast (normally) and wern't made/meant to be.

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    It must suck driving an old school American "muscle car" and losing to one of the crazy lookin' new imports! lol
    LOL.... gosh drn punk kids and those Japmobile contraption, thing-a-ma-jiggerz.

J/K My dad used to have a hmmm 75? AMX some special edition Javlin. Thing was a beast. Came from the factory with those bars on the back for when the front end lifts off the ground. Strangly enough it was an automatic. I think cos my mom couldn't push the clutch back then... Great car though. I will try to get pics up at some point... ok I am way off topic.

Good kill!

Originally posted by C9A1L1L
    You saw a 1972 IMPALA Street car run 10s?.... (where is a lmao happy face when you need one?) Now if you saw a drag car with a 1972 Impala shell run 10s... I am taking NOTHING from your kill, if that's what your worrying about. But Impalas aren't muscle cars, aren't fast (normally) and wern't made/meant to be.
    Ah....I saw a 64 Imp that ran 10's. I gotcha now. The 70's era cars are much bigger. My 1970 Torino is from the last (IMO) good musclecar year.

LOL.... gosh drn punk kids and those Japmobile contraption, thing-a-ma-jiggerz.

J/K My dad used to have a hmmm 75? AMX some special edition Javlin. Thing was a beast. Came from the factory with those bars on the back for when the front end lifts off the ground. Strangly enough it was an automatic. I think cos my mom couldn't push the clutch back then... Great car though. I will try to get pics up at some point... ok I am way off topic.

Good kill!
    Those would be traction bars. Prevents the rear end from "hopping" off the ground too much. Allows the car to pur more power to the ground. Your dads car probably had a 390ci V8 in it.

Ahhh there you go, you may have seen an early 60's run 10's (or close to it) but definately not a 70s imp. a 10s 64 impalla... I would still have to see it to believe it. I own a Camaro which was Chevys highest production performance car for... ever and I worked my ass off to get my mid 10s time, with a car that is 3200lbs now, but after I shaved a good 400lbs off of stuff, it is proabably lighter now though, closer to 3000 now that I think about it... Nice kill.

10s are unusual for old muscle, but mid 13s wasn't out of the question - - for stock muscle.

They were heavy because they were built like tanks and thus could handle the gobs of torque the big blocks produced. You want numbers? The Ford 427 was something like 450/hp with 500/ft.lbs. of torque in stock form. The 427 sohc was something like 650 & 700. And those are numbers out of the crate - you could build them from there (although the 427 sohc tended to hand-grenade when push too hard).

Another nice thing about those old sleds is that engine swaps were relatively simple. Carb set-up could be swapped in an hour or two, engines in a day. The only real challenge was if you wanted to go from a small block to a big block and even that wasn't much of a problem since a lot of the cars were designed to carry either the small block or the big block.

Sure the things were heavy, couldn't turn, couldn't stop, and were from the brick school of ayerodynamic design - but with gobs of hp and torque they could go quite fast in a straight line. And don't forget, a lot of the times you read for these old cars were on 175/70 14 tires. Different compounds were years to come.

Your telling me! I am a die hard domestic musclecar guy. If I could afford it, I would drop a 460 into my Torino rather than the 302 it has now. Once I can gather up enough funds to spend on another car, I will build a nice dragster that can drive on the street too, but will be VERY fast. Big block + light weight car = gobs of fun.