WRX vs Civics

This is a discussion on WRX vs Civics within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello once again racing fiends errr friends. here's yet another lovely racing story so fasten your seatbelts and we gonna ...

WRX vs Civics

Hello once again racing fiends errr friends. here's yet another lovely racing story so fasten your seatbelts and we gonna have some fun!

This guy for the passed week or so been wanting to race me. with a lot of replacement work done to his SI tho. 93 or so civic hatchback SI with intake, headers, and exhaust. the biggest thing was that he was totally stripped! But don't worry guys and gals, i still wasn't going to lose tonight.

We pulled up on the starting line, and we began our pre-race preparations (well... at least i did) then came the moment of truth. vroom.. vroooooooom!!! ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Immediately i jump out a nice one car lead. 2nd gears comes around and i just keep pulling away. 3rd gear, and i'm a whole 5-7 car lengths ahead!!

After that we had another race, but he wanted to take me from a roll (knowing that one of the WRX's major strength really lies on our ability to launch)

So we agreed to go on a roll from 15mph. Indeed, once the 3rd honk came, we were neck and neck all the way up to the end of 1st gear. after 2nd gear however i pulled on him.. although not hard.. in the end i only beat him by the length of my car.

Here's where the story gets a bit more interesting. seeing this race, a 4 door civic comes by and asks if i wanted to run. i said sure! and off we went.

Rolling to the starting line, i felt a sudden loss of competitive spirit. Something inside me told me.. i was going to lose. Shaking that feeling off, i began to revv up. Slipping the clutch at 5-6krpms, I still had my very consistent launch. Already i was in the lead by a good car length. But the start of 3rd gear, i heard his engine change, and was working extremely harder than it had been the last 2 gears; and blew right passed me near the end!! Although afterwards i found out he was running a GSR motor with a turbocharger set at around 6psi among some other work done, i'm still wondering if he had a wet shot of n2o waiting for me. I'm still a bit baffeled, but oh well, that's what racing is all about for me, i'm always surprised by other beautiful creations in motion.

---RaCinWRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

slipping at 5-6k? I say you are going to need a new transmission soon.

I agree, plus revving this high will HURT your holeshot because the clutch will slip badly allowing the engine speed to climb while the drivetrain just tries to catch up. A slip-drop launch between 4,000 and 4,700rpm is really you best bet.

-Jim

Originally posted by jk147
    slipping at 5-6k? I say you are going to need a new transmission soon.

I personally can't wait until I get enough cash for a custom full hardened gear dog mission. A friend bought a HKS unit for his Silvia and he doesn't even use the clutch when he races except for the 1st gear launch and using a Motec he sets it up for a full boost launch. I think you're going to be looking for a transmission for your WRX in the next year. Seems to be the weak point on the WRX.

Yo

It's all good ... because to get a GSR engine and Turbo is way more than I've spent on my REX in upgrades so far at around $1.5+K. Civic's are light and I have no problem lossing to one if it raced me as long as I knew it had more power. I was racing a TA w/ a LS1 engine at the tracks one night and off the launch I had him by 1 car to the 3rd and suddenly he flew past me like 3+ cars lengths. I talked to the guy afterwards he had 100 shots of NOS. It was fun though. Funny thing is that it rained the whole weekend and everytime I come to a light and started reving no one would dare rev back ... ... I didn't care if it was a Civic to a Prosche.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Agreed, i normally do slip at reasonably at 4.5-5krmps. but i'm just telling the story how it happened.

--RaCinWRX

Yup, put $15K into a Civic and you have a car that can beat a stock WRX. Put $15K into a WRX and you have a car that can beat anything short of an Indy car (and even then...???).
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?