Another Mustang GT story... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Another Mustang GT story... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by DOHC 32valve Also the comment about the SVO...I had an 84.5 SVO mustang and it had Koni ...

Originally posted by DOHC 32valve
    Also the comment about the SVO...I had an 84.5 SVO mustang and it had Koni fully adjustables, huge brakes, 16" tires and it handled awesome, all of this stock from the factory.....This suspension was way ahead of it time....these cars were great for a stock car......I have yet to run a Rex in turns but would love to.....the comments about the cobra and autox truly depends on the type of track, short turns and short straights the Rex would probably win but anything with longer straights and the cobra would win, again stock vs stock......I wish I could remember the slalom speeds for both cars as well but I can't
    Now let me clarify: I was talking strictly about my friend's SVO in the conditions we drove around in, namely the extremely poor condition of Brooklyn's roads. His suspension (stock, I believe) is simply too stiff to even do the 30 mph speed limit on the crappily repaved Atlantic Avenue. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Also, his car does this extremely scary thing where upon sudden acceleration, the car just spins to the right out of nowhere. I was riding shotgun and nearly wet my pants as we seemingly headed straight for a Mr. Softee truck. Of course, my friend knew it was coming and corrected.

And you are the first to talk about the Cobra on this thread. We all know the Cobra has substantially better suspension than the Mustang GT. And of course, there's the pure power. A great car, IMO.

But alas, it has but two doors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh wait! I have my new issue of Sport Compact Car at the ready, where they did a funny performance comparo between a 385 hp, 385 lb-ft 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R and a 195 hp 1999 Lotus Esprit replica.

For the Cobra they had:

estimated price $55,845
    0-60 5.3 secs
    50-70 2.1 secs
    1/4 mile 13.4 secs @ 108
    slalom speed 70.4 mph
    60-0 122 ft.

(The 1,710 lb, 195 hp, 130 lb-ft Lotus beat it in all the above categories by the way. )

In the Oct. 2001 issue SCC mag listed the following results for the stock WRX:

estimated price $24,500
    0-60 5.8 secs
    50-70 3.5 secs
    1/4 mile 14.3 secs @ 93.5
    slalom speed 67.9 mph
    60-0 126 ft.

Now noting the $30,000 difference in price, let's say you do the entire overhaul as by M2 Performance (new turbo, intercooler, exhaust, remapped ECU, DMS coilovers, front and rear rotors and 4 pot brakes) (same Oct. 2001 issue):

0-60 4.8 secs
    50-70 2.6 secs
    1/4 mile 13.2 secs @ 102.2
    slalom speed 73.6 mph (the new record for the mag)
    60-0 105 ft.

(Bench racing saves so much wear and tear on the tranny )
    Last edited by bedabi; 04-03-2002 at 10:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12