WRX - vs- 3000gt vr4
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX - vs- 3000gt vr4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How will the WRX do against a first gen 3000gt vr4? I would guess that on the highway the WRX ...

WRX - vs- 3000gt vr4

How will the WRX do against a first gen 3000gt vr4? I would guess that on the highway the WRX would get beat, but what about stoplight racing?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If that car has not been taken care of and its still stock. I don't think a stock WRX will have any problem with it.

If its been taken care of with some upgrades, I think it will be close.....

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Yep...if its running right, you're done...if its just your everyday vr-4 with 90k miles and such, you should be ok.
    2003 SRT-4

Smile I raced a VR-4

I raced a 98 VR-4 2 weeks ago. I have a 1999 3000GT at home and it is slow as hell but I alwayes wanted to race a VR-4. Well I was at a light and I was turning right and I knew the person with the VR-4 would try and take when he turned right. So I took off and he did too. I was in front going as fast as my little stock WRX would go and he was a car length behind me and not gaining any ground. So I could tell from a roll to 65 was even. He pulled up next to me at the next light and I told him I had one like his but that it was not a VR-4. He said he loved his VR-4 and was on his way to Portland to have some fun in it.
    I had talked to the same guy about 2 weeks earlier when I was driving in my 3000gt. He is a pretty cool fella...and like 50 years old too.

Hope that helps.

Re: I raced a VR-4

Originally posted by artist71
    I raced a 98 VR-4 2 weeks ago. I have a 1999 3000GT at home and it is slow as hell but I alwayes wanted to race a VR-4. Well I was at a light and I was turning right and I knew the person with the VR-4 would try and take when he turned right. So I took off and he did too. I was in front going as fast as my little stock WRX would go and he was a car length behind me and not gaining any ground. So I could tell from a roll to 65 was even. He pulled up next to me at the next light and I told him I had one like his but that it was not a VR-4. He said he loved his VR-4 and was on his way to Portland to have some fun in it.
    I had talked to the same guy about 2 weeks earlier when I was driving in my 3000gt. He is a pretty cool fella...and like 50 years old too.

Hope that helps.
    50 year olds that I know always think their 14-15 sec rides are so fast!! I think its cause they were so used to Model T's and stuff that now anything with more than 5hp is blazin!
    2003 SRT-4

how da hell did your stock wrx run with his stock vr4? I think popular mechanics did 13.44 with a stock '99 vr4...but then again they did 13.17 for a stock ws6...hot damn!~
    '03 white rex

Originally posted by verc
    how da hell did your stock wrx run with his stock vr4? I think popular mechanics did 13.44 with a stock '99 vr4...but then again they did 13.17 for a stock ws6...hot damn!~
    Verc, his talking about a first gen VR-4. they're 10+ years old and you'll be lucky to find one with both turbos running with less than 90k on it.

I would never recommend any stock rex to take on a 99 vr4... You're just asking to get raped if you are.

the 3000GT vr-4 is rather quick. not to mention it is allwheel drive, so that means the the stop light strength of the wrx isnt as much of a strength. the good part is that they are boats! extremly heavy, so you best bet is still off the line. power to weight ratio shows that he will rape you.
    but the turbos loose compresion reallly fast due to faulty mitsu. engineering. if the car has lots of miles and wasnt taken care of you have a good chance. one in good shape can run high 13's. but once the miles pile up and compression is lost, they are more prone to mid 14's.

have fun

What if the 1st gen has low miles? I have a friend that's got a 93 with pretty low miles on it 50,000ish. It's basically stock except for boost restriction removed, so it's running same HP as the 94 - 99 vr4's are. Maybe I should run him on the dirt? hehe
    Adding the element of boost to people everywhere

Originally posted by Turbonium
    What if the 1st gen has low miles? I have a friend that's got a 93 with pretty low miles on it 50,000ish. It's basically stock except for boost restriction removed, so it's running same HP as the 94 - 99 vr4's are. Maybe I should run him on the dirt? hehe
    That race will actually be quite interesting.... Run him and let us know the results! I think that will make a great race, especialy if you catch it on film *wink wink*

Re: Re: I raced a VR-4

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    50 year olds that I know always think their 14-15 sec rides are so fast!! I think its cause they were so used to Model T's and stuff that now anything with more than 5hp is blazin!
    I know you are trying to be funny and cute but...

In the early 1970's a 50 year old from today would have been 18-19 years old. At his disposal could have been a 425hp barracuda, or maybe 450hp mustang, and a slew of GM products with 375+ hp. Some were 12 sec cars off the showroom floor.

A 2.0 liter subewhat?
    Last edited by JTREX; 08-21-2003 at 12:59 PM.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

Re: Re: Re: I raced a VR-4

Originally posted by JTREX
    I know you are trying to be funny and cute but...

In the early 1970's a 50 year old from today would have been 18-19 years old. At his disposal could have been a 425hp barracuda, or maybe 450hp mustang, and a slew of GM products with 375+ hp. Some were 12 sec cars off the showroom floor.

A 2.0 liter subewhat?
    true, there were cool musclecars, but most were grossly overrated, and I have yet to run across one of these "supercars" on the road that could give me a run.
    Last edited by StoplightWarrior; 08-21-2003 at 01:23 PM.
    2003 SRT-4

people who call the 3000 gt the "3000 garbage truck" and call it heavy are such idiots.

So far in america it is the only awd car with good aerodynamics for one. the 3000gt is one of those "you gotta drive it to believe it" Rock steady car. I would not hesitate to pick one up if I did not need 5 seats. And besides, it makes like 400+ hp with like exhaust bits and boost controller. I mean, it's got huge hp to haul its huge ass that's all i have to say.
    '03 white rex

Originally posted by verc
    people who call the 3000 gt the "3000 garbage truck" and call it heavy are such idiots.

So far in america it is the only awd car with good aerodynamics for one. the 3000gt is one of those "you gotta drive it to believe it" Rock steady car. I would not hesitate to pick one up if I did not need 5 seats. And besides, it makes like 400+ hp with like exhaust bits and boost controller. I mean, it's got huge hp to haul its huge ass that's all i have to say.
    Very true. the 300hp under that hood doesn't do justice for a car like that. I rode in my friends 92 VR4 with its stock twin turbos. That thing spooled faster than our WRX and had a lighting kick to it. I'd love to see one of these beast upgraded. The later gens are so good looking. I'd rank them up there with the RX7's.

Speaking as a 3000gt owner, thanks for the props, as for rock steady, depends on what you're talking about. Reliability wise they've got some problems, but then again what modded car doesn't. Syncros go in high hp 3000gt's, engines don't like to be rebuilt, other than that, are great cars. This time around when looking for a new car, I almost bought a WRX, but the 3000gt just kept calling me back, so I bought another one... If the WRX was only a bit cheaper, I'd be playing in the dirt right now.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.