Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WRX - vs- 3000gt vr4

9K views 73 replies 20 participants last post by  All8up 
#1 ·
How will the WRX do against a first gen 3000gt vr4? I would guess that on the highway the WRX would get beat, but what about stoplight racing?

#4 ·
I raced a VR-4

I raced a 98 VR-4 2 weeks ago. I have a 1999 3000GT at home and it is slow as hell but I alwayes wanted to race a VR-4. Well I was at a light and I was turning right and I knew the person with the VR-4 would try and take when he turned right. So I took off and he did too. I was in front going as fast as my little stock WRX would go and he was a car length behind me and not gaining any ground. So I could tell from a roll to 65 was even. He pulled up next to me at the next light and I told him I had one like his but that it was not a VR-4. He said he loved his VR-4 and was on his way to Portland to have some fun in it.
I had talked to the same guy about 2 weeks earlier when I was driving in my 3000gt. He is a pretty cool fella...and like 50 years old too.

Hope that helps.

#5 ·
Re: I raced a VR-4

artist71 said:
I raced a 98 VR-4 2 weeks ago. I have a 1999 3000GT at home and it is slow as hell but I alwayes wanted to race a VR-4. Well I was at a light and I was turning right and I knew the person with the VR-4 would try and take when he turned right. So I took off and he did too. I was in front going as fast as my little stock WRX would go and he was a car length behind me and not gaining any ground. So I could tell from a roll to 65 was even. He pulled up next to me at the next light and I told him I had one like his but that it was not a VR-4. He said he loved his VR-4 and was on his way to Portland to have some fun in it.
I had talked to the same guy about 2 weeks earlier when I was driving in my 3000gt. He is a pretty cool fella...and like 50 years old too.

Hope that helps.
50 year olds that I know always think their 14-15 sec rides are so fast!! I think its cause they were so used to Model T's and stuff that now anything with more than 5hp is blazin! :D

#7 ·
verc said:
how da hell did your stock wrx run with his stock vr4? I think popular mechanics did 13.44 with a stock '99 vr4...but then again they did 13.17 for a stock ws6...hot damn!~
Verc, his talking about a first gen VR-4. they're 10+ years old and you'll be lucky to find one with both turbos running with less than 90k on it.

I would never recommend any stock rex to take on a 99 vr4... You're just asking to get raped if you are.

#8 ·
the 3000GT vr-4 is rather quick. not to mention it is allwheel drive, so that means the the stop light strength of the wrx isnt as much of a strength. the good part is that they are boats! extremly heavy, so you best bet is still off the line. power to weight ratio shows that he will rape you.
but the turbos loose compresion reallly fast due to faulty mitsu. engineering. if the car has lots of miles and wasnt taken care of you have a good chance. one in good shape can run high 13's. but once the miles pile up and compression is lost, they are more prone to mid 14's.

have fun

#9 ·
What if the 1st gen has low miles? I have a friend that's got a 93 with pretty low miles on it 50,000ish. It's basically stock except for boost restriction removed, so it's running same HP as the 94 - 99 vr4's are. Maybe I should run him on the dirt? hehe

#10 ·
Turbonium said:
What if the 1st gen has low miles? I have a friend that's got a 93 with pretty low miles on it 50,000ish. It's basically stock except for boost restriction removed, so it's running same HP as the 94 - 99 vr4's are. Maybe I should run him on the dirt? hehe
That race will actually be quite interesting.... Run him and let us know the results! I think that will make a great race, especialy if you catch it on film *wink wink*

#11 · (Edited)
Re: Re: I raced a VR-4

RaccoonRacing said:
50 year olds that I know always think their 14-15 sec rides are so fast!! I think its cause they were so used to Model T's and stuff that now anything with more than 5hp is blazin! :D
I know you are trying to be funny and cute but...

In the early 1970's a 50 year old from today would have been 18-19 years old. At his disposal could have been a 425hp barracuda, or maybe 450hp mustang, and a slew of GM products with 375+ hp. Some were 12 sec cars off the showroom floor.

A 2.0 liter subewhat?

#12 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Re: I raced a VR-4

JTREX said:
I know you are trying to be funny and cute but...

In the early 1970's a 50 year old from today would have been 18-19 years old. At his disposal could have been a 425hp barracuda, or maybe 450hp mustang, and a slew of GM products with 375+ hp. Some were 12 sec cars off the showroom floor.

A 2.0 liter subewhat?
true, there were cool musclecars, but most were grossly overrated, and I have yet to run across one of these "supercars" on the road that could give me a run.

#13 ·
people who call the 3000 gt the "3000 garbage truck" and call it heavy are such idiots.

So far in america it is the only awd car with good aerodynamics for one. the 3000gt is one of those "you gotta drive it to believe it" Rock steady car. I would not hesitate to pick one up if I did not need 5 seats. And besides, it makes like 400+ hp with like exhaust bits and boost controller. I mean, it's got huge hp to haul its huge ass that's all i have to say.

#14 ·
verc said:
people who call the 3000 gt the "3000 garbage truck" and call it heavy are such idiots.

So far in america it is the only awd car with good aerodynamics for one. the 3000gt is one of those "you gotta drive it to believe it" Rock steady car. I would not hesitate to pick one up if I did not need 5 seats. And besides, it makes like 400+ hp with like exhaust bits and boost controller. I mean, it's got huge hp to haul its huge ass that's all i have to say.
Very true. the 300hp under that hood doesn't do justice for a car like that. I rode in my friends 92 VR4 with its stock twin turbos. That thing spooled faster than our WRX and had a lighting kick to it. I'd love to see one of these beast upgraded. The later gens are so good looking. I'd rank them up there with the RX7's.

#15 ·
Speaking as a 3000gt owner, thanks for the props, as for rock steady, depends on what you're talking about. Reliability wise they've got some problems, but then again what modded car doesn't. Syncros go in high hp 3000gt's, engines don't like to be rebuilt, other than that, are great cars. This time around when looking for a new car, I almost bought a WRX, but the 3000gt just kept calling me back, so I bought another one... If the WRX was only a bit cheaper, I'd be playing in the dirt right now. :D

#16 ·
The engines and trannies of Stealths/3kGTs aren't very good. My b/f had his engine replaced at 86k. It cost $6,400!:eek: It didn't healp that the stealership ripped him off and didn't cover it even though he had bought a warrenty........ it was "mysteriously" cancelled and they never told him. They refunded him the cost of the warrenty, but that was all. He should have taken them to court, but he's kind of a pushover and didn't want to go through all the trouble. Oh well. He said he learned his lesson. One of the previous owners probably beat on the car a bit much.

#18 ·
DTR maxima said:
the 3000GT vr-4 is rather quick. not to mention it is allwheel drive, so that means the the stop light strength of the wrx isnt as much of a strength. the good part is that they are boats! extremly heavy, so you best bet is still off the line. power to weight ratio shows that he will rape you.
but the turbos loose compresion reallly fast due to faulty mitsu. engineering. if the car has lots of miles and wasnt taken care of you have a good chance. one in good shape can run high 13's. but once the miles pile up and compression is lost, they are more prone to mid 14's.

have fun
uh, they are more prone to LOW 14's for the first gens with nothing done. they are decently quick cars. the 2nd gens are mid 13 cars stock. you put a stock wrx against one, if the guy knows how to drive it you will get raped hardcore... unless your wrx is running 13.6@102 stock... which last i checked it took quite a bit to get that trap...

#19 ·
dukmahsik said:
stock 3kgt tt 1st gen runs low 13s, stock 2nd gens run 13s flat

nope, sorry my friend... no 3kgt has ever run a 12 second pass stock, and 1 96 stealth ran a 13.0... that has never been duplicated. 1st gens are high 13's... they can hith 13.7 on a good day, and 2nd gens will hit 13.5 on a good day, MAYBE a 10th faster.

#20 ·
The engines are just fine. A friend picked up a 93 with 150k miles and we did a MBC and K&N filter. It ran 13.1 @ 106. It still drives fine today with over 160k on it now. The key is when working on an older car (5+ years), you first have to fix the little things that happen due to age. Once things are freshened up, then you can mod.

Just take care of it properly and mod sensebly and it'll last forever. Slap on a bunch of parts you don't understand and it'll be blown in no time. It seems most people mod by popular opinion, choosing their parts by whatever's hot on the various message boards and magazine articles. These are the ones who pick a lightweight flywheel and a catback as their first mods when they could have done a MBC and downpipe and added 50 hp.

You'll see a lot of them with thousands of dollars in mods that are no quicker than stock. Those are known as "rolling parts hangars". Then you'll see mine with $2k total (including all labor and a VPC) and it runs 12.50s on the stock twins. I have a pair of 16g's ordered, as well as the license plate TWO16GS. Too heavy for off-the-line power? At 4070 lbs, I cut 7.80s @ 89 in the 1/8th mile. That's stock turbos, stock cat-back, stock fuel pump, etc.

The transmission life is ok too, if you fill it with the proper oil and don't shift it like a monkey. Coming from 10 years of DSM ownership, I have no problems with my Stealth's tranny.

#21 ·
The VR4 will do 60 in under 5 seconds. I dont think youd stand a chance. Its got two turbos and a much larger engine....and AWD to boot

#22 ·
dsmgst said:
The VR4 will do 60 in under 5 seconds. I dont think youd stand a chance. Its got two turbos and a much larger engine....and AWD to boot
Its also a lot heavier and two SMALL turbos. I just think that you have to think in terms of how good of a condition the VR4 is in and who is behind it.

A well taken care 99' VR4 will probably put down those numbers that you claim. Try putting down those numbers on a 92' VR4 w/100k on it. I just don't see that happening unless it has been reconditioned and modded.

#23 ·
For $ spent, I don't think you can beat a 3000gt or DSM for modability. With the 3000gt a $20 boost controller, you can be running 14lbs of boost and have approx 350hp at the crank. Yes you need gauges etc, to do it safely. The 3000 does does weigh about 3800lbs, but that's still 11lb per hp which ain't too shabby.

#24 ·
AsianWRX said:
Its also a lot heavier and two SMALL turbos. I just think that you have to think in terms of how good of a condition the VR4 is in and who is behind it.

A well taken care 99' VR4 will probably put down those numbers that you claim. Try putting down those numbers on a 92' VR4 w/100k on it. I just don't see that happening unless it has been reconditioned and modded.
Youve got a point, compression loss, turbo wear and such

#25 ·
Originally posted by AsianWRX

That's true, if the owner beat the crap out of it on a regular basis, then it probably won't put down those #'s. I'd say racing a 1gen 3000 a WRX would have a chance off the line. From a roll, not so much.

#26 ·
AmethystGTO said:
nope, sorry my friend... no 3kgt has ever run a 12 second pass stock, and 1 96 stealth ran a 13.0... that has never been duplicated. 1st gens are high 13's... they can hith 13.7 on a good day, and 2nd gens will hit 13.5 on a good day, MAYBE a 10th faster.
no i am sorry you are wrong a have a few vids of stock 3kgts running low (read 13.1-13.3) passes. also if you go on the 3kgt forums you'll see that 1st and 2nd gens run mid to low 13s STOCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.