WRX - vs- 3000gt vr4 - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX - vs- 3000gt vr4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The engines and trannies of Stealths/3kGTs aren't very good. My b/f had his engine replaced at 86k. It cost ,400! ...

The engines and trannies of Stealths/3kGTs aren't very good. My b/f had his engine replaced at 86k. It cost $6,400! It didn't healp that the stealership ripped him off and didn't cover it even though he had bought a warrenty........ it was "mysteriously" cancelled and they never told him. They refunded him the cost of the warrenty, but that was all. He should have taken them to court, but he's kind of a pushover and didn't want to go through all the trouble. Oh well. He said he learned his lesson. One of the previous owners probably beat on the car a bit much.
    ~rides~
    me:'99 Grand Prix GT
    boyfriend:'91 Stealth TT
    mods:BOV, K&N FIPK, boost controller
    0-60:4.8 0-100:11.7
    topspeed:165+
    350 hp@flywheel 260 AWHP
    weight: 4,000lbs (w/both of us)
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

stock 3kgt tt 1st gen runs low 13s, stock 2nd gens run 13s flat
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    the 3000GT vr-4 is rather quick. not to mention it is allwheel drive, so that means the the stop light strength of the wrx isnt as much of a strength. the good part is that they are boats! extremly heavy, so you best bet is still off the line. power to weight ratio shows that he will rape you.
    but the turbos loose compresion reallly fast due to faulty mitsu. engineering. if the car has lots of miles and wasnt taken care of you have a good chance. one in good shape can run high 13's. but once the miles pile up and compression is lost, they are more prone to mid 14's.

have fun
    uh, they are more prone to LOW 14's for the first gens with nothing done. they are decently quick cars. the 2nd gens are mid 13 cars stock. you put a stock wrx against one, if the guy knows how to drive it you will get raped hardcore... unless your wrx is running 13.6@102 stock... which last i checked it took quite a bit to get that trap...

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    stock 3kgt tt 1st gen runs low 13s, stock 2nd gens run 13s flat

nope, sorry my friend... no 3kgt has ever run a 12 second pass stock, and 1 96 stealth ran a 13.0... that has never been duplicated. 1st gens are high 13's... they can hith 13.7 on a good day, and 2nd gens will hit 13.5 on a good day, MAYBE a 10th faster.

The engines are just fine. A friend picked up a 93 with 150k miles and we did a MBC and K&N filter. It ran 13.1 @ 106. It still drives fine today with over 160k on it now. The key is when working on an older car (5+ years), you first have to fix the little things that happen due to age. Once things are freshened up, then you can mod.

Just take care of it properly and mod sensebly and it'll last forever. Slap on a bunch of parts you don't understand and it'll be blown in no time. It seems most people mod by popular opinion, choosing their parts by whatever's hot on the various message boards and magazine articles. These are the ones who pick a lightweight flywheel and a catback as their first mods when they could have done a MBC and downpipe and added 50 hp.

You'll see a lot of them with thousands of dollars in mods that are no quicker than stock. Those are known as "rolling parts hangars". Then you'll see mine with $2k total (including all labor and a VPC) and it runs 12.50s on the stock twins. I have a pair of 16g's ordered, as well as the license plate TWO16GS. Too heavy for off-the-line power? At 4070 lbs, I cut 7.80s @ 89 in the 1/8th mile. That's stock turbos, stock cat-back, stock fuel pump, etc.

The transmission life is ok too, if you fill it with the proper oil and don't shift it like a monkey. Coming from 10 years of DSM ownership, I have no problems with my Stealth's tranny.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

The VR4 will do 60 in under 5 seconds. I dont think youd stand a chance. Its got two turbos and a much larger engine....and AWD to boot
    My Ride:
    99 Eclipse GS-T
    Mods: Yes
    277 hp / 285 tq.

Other Ride:
    Sonic Yellow 03 WRX Wagon

Ive also dirven an 04 STi

Friends dont let friends drive NA.

Originally posted by dsmgst
    The VR4 will do 60 in under 5 seconds. I dont think youd stand a chance. Its got two turbos and a much larger engine....and AWD to boot
    Its also a lot heavier and two SMALL turbos. I just think that you have to think in terms of how good of a condition the VR4 is in and who is behind it.

A well taken care 99' VR4 will probably put down those numbers that you claim. Try putting down those numbers on a 92' VR4 w/100k on it. I just don't see that happening unless it has been reconditioned and modded.

For $ spent, I don't think you can beat a 3000gt or DSM for modability. With the 3000gt a $20 boost controller, you can be running 14lbs of boost and have approx 350hp at the crank. Yes you need gauges etc, to do it safely. The 3000 does does weigh about 3800lbs, but that's still 11lb per hp which ain't too shabby.

Originally posted by AsianWRX
    Its also a lot heavier and two SMALL turbos. I just think that you have to think in terms of how good of a condition the VR4 is in and who is behind it.

A well taken care 99' VR4 will probably put down those numbers that you claim. Try putting down those numbers on a 92' VR4 w/100k on it. I just don't see that happening unless it has been reconditioned and modded.
    Youve got a point, compression loss, turbo wear and such
    My Ride:
    99 Eclipse GS-T
    Mods: Yes
    277 hp / 285 tq.

Other Ride:
    Sonic Yellow 03 WRX Wagon

Ive also dirven an 04 STi

Friends dont let friends drive NA.

Originally posted by AsianWRX

That's true, if the owner beat the crap out of it on a regular basis, then it probably won't put down those #'s. I'd say racing a 1gen 3000 a WRX would have a chance off the line. From a roll, not so much.

Originally posted by AmethystGTO
    nope, sorry my friend... no 3kgt has ever run a 12 second pass stock, and 1 96 stealth ran a 13.0... that has never been duplicated. 1st gens are high 13's... they can hith 13.7 on a good day, and 2nd gens will hit 13.5 on a good day, MAYBE a 10th faster.
    no i am sorry you are wrong a have a few vids of stock 3kgts running low (read 13.1-13.3) passes. also if you go on the 3kgt forums you'll see that 1st and 2nd gens run mid to low 13s STOCK.

- 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

you guys gotta remember any turboed car and awd will have lil things that need fixing after a number of years, that goes for wrxes, stis, evos, s4s, gsxes, etc.

- 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    you guys gotta remember any turboed car and awd will have lil things that need fixing after a number of years, that goes for wrxes, stis, evos, s4s, gsxes, etc.
    Very good point. I personally am still in love with the 2nd gen Eclipse and VR4. They look hellva better than what is in the current Mitsu lineup IMO.

The current Mitsubishi lineup sucks no doubt about it. Although the EVO VIII is kind of interesting to me. Except for all the transmission problems it's been having. Of course, it's never been Mitsubishi's style to stand behind anything they made. If the 3000 didn't look so good, I'd have never even thought about a Mitsu product.

the only problems the evo has had a widespread problem is the stock clutch which is being addressed by the owner of ACT himself of on evo forums.

anyways, here is a vid of a stock 2g stealth tt vs a stock c5:

http://www.awdturbo.com/stock96steal...stock98c5.mpeg

- 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.