when not to punch it?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on when not to punch it? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, what's up? This is my first post on this forum. Having driven my stock Rex for two months ...

when not to punch it?

Hey all, what's up?
    This is my first post on this forum. Having driven my stock Rex for two months now, I know about the turbo lag thing. My question thus is this...

I live in a small town of around 20,000 with a HUGE population of guys with lifted/flowmastered trucks. As seen by my sig., I love wasting big truck egos. However, there's one problem, I haven't exactly raced many of them yet, since I dont go out searching for races. So what I am curious about is, if I were to pull up to next to a 'healthy sounding truck V8' and he floors it off the line, leaving me with no time to launch and starting in about 2000 RPM's, when should I give chase or not give chase?

I've read alot on here about people researching every bit and piece about their friends CAI civic, and even though I might sound like that its a little different. I realize that I can destroy NEARLY every lifted truck in NorCal, but I'm just curious of how long it would take me to catch up as I described in the situation above. I just don't wont to get beat in a cheap way if I raced from a light to light.
    Thanks for any advice
    Easy Street WRX in Avatar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yah, what you said makes alot of sense, but I'm still a little confused. Are you saying that when I pull up next to anyone I think MIGHT want to race me, that I should do what I call a "mini launch" and go from a 3K launch.

Like you said, if the truck races and no-one goes with him he looks like an ass. I also don't want to look like an ass, so do most guys with Rex's usually rev it up a little before they go off a light?

P.S. On a funny note, a guy in a Non-R/T intrepid, tried to race me the other day. I've driven those cars before, and my friend said he heard the guy floor it and it just sounded like a big vaccum. It was hilarious, I literally started from a bogged 1000RPM and it only took me 1500 to pass him and then I gave him what he wanted and floored it. He was cool though, and waved to me when I turned off a few miles up.

You sound like you live where I live... lol, I hate it when those stupid trucks hang back and then jump as soon as it goes green. You can destroy most of them even if they grab a buslength.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

you're from the easter sierra's huh? dang! what kind of car scene at all is there over there? Im from around Sonora, just over the Sonora pass- you know where that is?
    but yah, anyways, I get SOOO sick of always seing the same thing, here's my best description everyone......

when Im hanging out with my friends after work, if we are by the highway by a two lane stop sign. A guy pulls up with a Chevy single cab 1500 with super swampers and flows. It doesn't matter who's next to him, but he floors it. they typically are not of the Mullet type that is so characterized on this forum of domestic owners, but are about 17-23 year old guy who have a backwards fox racing hat (a fox racing sticker on the back too) and are wearing Oakley sunglasses. Normally they have their prized girlfriend in the car, and for some reason sit hunched up with one hand on top of the wheel with their chest just about smashed up to where the bottom of the wheel is.
    Good GOD I want to dust every last one of them

I posted this not too long ago, but here's a story of me sorta racing a F-150 when he jumped the gun. I didn't give it much thought (to racing him) before he stomped on it, but when he did, I decided to give chase for 2 blocks. That time it took to make up my mind and get the clutch engaged (1-1.5 sec) made me lose the race.

wrx vs f-150

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.