Wrx 1, Z28 0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx 1, Z28 0 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK, I love adrenaline and got a good dose of it yesterday early evening (was still light out.) My wife ...

Wrx 1, Z28 0

OK, I love adrenaline and got a good dose of it yesterday early evening (was still light out.)

My wife and I are driving from a restuarant to go downtown when a LOUD red Z28, I am guessing around a '92-94 comes barelling up, zipping around cars. The road is 3 lanes each way, with the occaisional stoplight. I see the Z28 and think "Oh Boy! Please let us get lined up at the next stoplight!"

I look over and see the driver is early thrities woman, sunglasses on, windows down and blaring some tunes >>> Attitude!
    She is in the far left and I am in the far right, we get around the other cars and hot damn, light just up the road turns red... excellent...

I am pretty sure it was an auto, the exhaust sounded modded. I could tell she was in a hurry and feeling chipper from the way she was driving before we got stopped at the light. I can't see her at this point becuase there is a truck between us, but I can hear her music and rumbling exhaust.

When the light turned green, she stomped on it (loud as hell, gotta love that big V-8 sound), and caught me off guard a little, but I get a fairly decent clutch slip and actually chirped a little and was ahead of her in about 1 second... Now this was just the warmup as there is another light just up the street, but she definitely knows I am here and up for a little fun.

Next light (please turn red, please turn red), sure enough it does.
    Now she is doing some revving, I guess she was getting ready to teach me a lesson. The old adrenaline is flowing pretty good by this point, my wife is pretty stoked too and tells me to go for it.

The road up ahead of us is wide open and is relatively safe for such activities as long as you don't go too insanely fast, good mile before the next light (Pleasantburg at Rutherford for you locals.) Light turns green, no hesitation on either of our parts. She floors it and I do a perfect slip... my wag leaps like a frog on meth on we get out ahead right off the bat. Perfect shifts to second then third at around 6000, get up to about 75 or so and she is 4-6 cars behind and gives up. She hung way back after that until we get to the next light, and she wants no more. Here is the funny part, I was kinda hoping she would look over to do a thumbs up or at least shoot me the bird, but she has suddenly become very distracted by something in the sky outside her drivers window, and even though she is looking away as far as she can without breaking her neck I can see a disgusted look on her face... precious!

Now I suspect if she had done a power break launch or we had gone up to 100 or so she would have reeled me in (from what I have read), but this was a pretty good smackdown.

Oh yeah, never try this at home

-B
    2004 Platinum XT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX
    awesome! Good kill. I was talking with some dude at the track and he said that under 3500RPM it was a dog.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Good kill, those LT1s can be quick but many are up in miles.
    I have to ask why 6000 rpm shifts? I've always run my fastest times with 7000 rpm shifts in my 02 WRX. But hay, you didn't need it anyway by the sound of it.

I guess you could say it was 6000 to 6800 shifts, they seemed to be doing the trick... This is a bit of an estimate as I was going more by engine sound and keeping my eyes on the road, with a quick eye flick to the speedo and rpm as neccesary.

I do suspect this one had some miles on it. I wouldn't say it was neglected by any means but didn't look like it had been kept in a garage for most of its life, had seen it's share of driving.

Is the stock exhaust on these (guessing 92-94) good and loud, or am I probably correct in guessing it had some work done to it?

Anyway, was good fun, a little more honorable than beating up on a 6 cyl Mustang with 4 people in it, or a freaking Suburban haha.
    2004 Platinum XT

Nice kill, and good story telling!

Since you never saw the back of her car ( ) you probably didn't get a chance to see the exhaust tips. It's usually a giveaway that the exhaust is stock on a Z28 if they have the thin flat rectangular tips.

More than likely the stock one wore out or was replaced at some point on a 7-10 year old car, and most "enthusiastic" F-body owners will upgrade the catback or at least muffler.

And that rocks that your wife was cheering you along!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Maybe she was looking at a bird about to sh1t on her ride to complete the experience.

Re: Wrx 1, Z28 0

Originally posted by B-Rex
    get up to about 75 or so and she is 4-6 cars behind and gives up. -B

I wont even go there, I am too tired, good kill. <hearing voice> Either she didnt know how to drive or, she didn't know how to drive</voices done> Maybe she still had her car in neutral from reving up and was rolling down the street?
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

C9A1L1L, I expected you might have a comment or 2 ...

I think there were a combination of factors here, and your assesment of her driving skill is probably one of them. I think one of the main things that got her to give up was the psychological factor (shock and awe ), of having a little silver Japanese station wagon hop off the line like I did. I don't think she knew what it was, just figured I was toying around and she is probably used to being a shark in a goldfish pond. I am betting she knows what one is now...

Another point is that the circumstances were tilted in my favor. I was able to take advantage of all my cars strengths while allowing her few of hers (from a dig, only up to 75.) Do I feel any twinges of guilt over that? No... I suspect from 40 - 100 it would have been a different story.

Like I said, I am not sure of the exact year, but here are some sample numbers:

1993 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 350 6spd 275@5000 hp 325@2400 torque 5.8 to 60 14.4@97.9mph Motor Trend 6/93

That is with a 6 speed, I am pretty sure hers was auto and she didn't do any major brake torque launch.

And who knows, maybe she has a host of speeding tickets and figured about 75 was fast enough in a 45?

I think the 2 main factors that led to the length between us were her underestimating and the short nature of the race.

Or maybe she was in neutral?
    2004 Platinum XT

Originally posted by dsel
    Maybe she was looking at a bird about to sh1t on her ride to complete the experience.
    LOL! Maybe it wasn't a bird, it might've been C9A1L1L trying to sh1t on YOUR car for putting the smack down on one of his "unbeatable" domestics!

j/k man, I'm mentioning this now since you're so hot headed.

Originally posted by AsianWRX
    LOL! Maybe it wasn't a bird, it might've been C9A1L1L trying to sh1t on YOUR car for putting the smack down on one of his "unbeatable" domestics!

j/k man, I'm mentioning this now since you're so hot headed.

Hotheaded? Erm, no. If I was hot headed, a lot of these other post would be littered with my .2cents. I NEVER said Domestics are unbeatable, but I know people tend to get a little big headed when they simply got "lucky" and I like them brought down to earth. Now a WRX couldn't beat a modded LT1/LS1, but his WAGON did? And that could happen... BUT 4-6 CAR LENGTHS! That is where my "WTF" came into play. I wasn't there so I wont push the issue, but that story did give a few of the camro guys one helluva laugh. If you beat that "Z28" if it was a "Z28" it wasn't modded, and she didn't know how to drive. Auto or not, they tend to have nice computer aided shifting that doesn't differ much from the manuals. But like I said, Good kill, and to the lady who owns that "Z28" or lets just call it, a Camaro, she needs to GIVE that car to someone else. How embarassing see I'm not hot headed, still cool Remember, I'm one of the good guys, lets keep it that way. And what was the point of bring up times for the Camaro, that makes me doubt it more looking at these mid 7 second 0-60 times Motor Trend has for the Wagon... Oh well...

actually the lt1 exhaust is fairly loud stock for stock... what mods do you have? if youre modded i dont doubt you could take a stock auto lt1... they werent that quick( i actually cant stand the lt1, but hey im an ls1 guy ) so yeah, boost controller, intake and maybe exhaust i can see that...

C9: His wagon is a 5 speed and as capable as any other WRX sedan with a 5 speed. 7 second 0-60 times for a wagon in MotorTrend that you are quoting are for a stock automatic WRX. Please take the time to understand the WRX and the story being told before shooting off mis-information again. Since you are visiting a WRX site, you should at least try to use correct information. "When in Rome..."

Also, the "computer aided shifting" you reference in the automatic F-body is a joke. A manual valve body automatic in an LT1 or LS1 is as fast as a stock 4L60e in terms of overall effect. The 4th gens are typically as quick in the 1/4 mile with an automatic as a 6 speed due to gearing, and a big flat torque curve. As a general rule: 6 speeds rule the highways (higher trapspeeds); and automatics rule the drag strip (more consistent and better 60' times) when it comes to the 4th gens.

An LT1 Z28 that is 9 years old and in who knows what type of condition (slipping trans, low compression, bad optispark) could be running low 15's. A perfect one could be running mid 13's. 4 car lengths is a reasonable distance when nobody here knows the state of tune the other vehicle was in. So put the "WTF" right back at yourself.

I'll leave you to be the expert at 1st and 2nd gen information about F-bodies, as that's not my forte. But please don't start going off on other areas where your knowledge is sketchy at best. Us domestic owners here have a hard enough time being accepted already...

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    C9: His wagon is a 5 speed and as capable as any other WRX sedan with a 5 speed. 7 second 0-60 times for a wagon in MotorTrend that you are quoting are for a stock automatic WRX. Please take the time to understand the WRX and the story being told before shooting off mis-information again. Since you are visiting a WRX site, you should at least try to use correct information. "When in Rome..."

Also, the "computer aided shifting" you reference in the automatic F-body is a joke. A manual valve body automatic in an LT1 or LS1 is as fast as a stock 4L60e in terms of overall effect. The 4th gens are typically as quick in the 1/4 mile with an automatic as a 6 speed due to gearing, and a big flat torque curve. As a general rule: 6 speeds rule the highways (higher trapspeeds); and automatics rule the drag strip (more consistent and better 60' times) when it comes to the 4th gens.

An LT1 Z28 that is 9 years old and in who knows what type of condition (slipping trans, low compression, bad optispark) could be running low 15's. A perfect one could be running mid 13's. 4 car lengths is a reasonable distance when nobody here knows the state of tune the other vehicle was in. So put the "WTF" right back at yourself.

I'll leave you to be the expert at 1st and 2nd gen information about F-bodies, as that's not my forte. But please don't start going off on other areas where your knowledge is sketchy at best. Us domestic owners here have a hard enough time being accepted already...
    *Sigh... I knew what I was talking about, he pulled times from motor trend, I pulled times from motor trend. If you think I am dumb enough to think that an Impreza WAGON is as fast as the WRX, give me some more credit. I ALREADY said "I wasn't there so I didn't know what happened" So my WTF is back up. Impreza Wagons run 15s so as you stated, a stock lt1 not in good shape wouldn't have lost by 4-6 car lengths... Lets not make this an argument of "domestics vs imports" cause if I wanted that I would goto the SVT or Honda site and have my way with them. SO as I said before, the part that makes it seem unlikely is the amount he won by in the first 75mph... 4-6 carlengths, 0-75 c'mon... this was OBIVIOUS driver error. And my main reason for responding was due to smart ass remarks such as said by AsianWRX. So I needed him to come back down to a level plane and let him know this was a FLUKE. My first post was all I was gunna say, but if you wanna drag me deep in this, I am all for it, I need to get some of this out of mysytem Don't continue the nonscense, I don't wanna be the bad Domestic guy trolling around this forum looking for BS post, I just want to insure some level of integrity, I have seen how a forum can get without at least a few long time members whom own a different car. People sent me private messages stating the same thing, all WRX owners. Lets let it be, for the millionth time, good kill *Sigh

*sigh... I guess you missed it where I wrote that a WRX wagon 5 speed will run just like a 5 speed WRX sedan. JUST LIKE THE 5 SPEED WAGON IN THIS THREAD. I don't know why you even referenced an automatic version in the first place? It's pretty clear from the initial post that the driver has a 5 speed WRX wagon.

Maybe this will clear it up for a basically stock WRX. Typical 1/4 mile times for a stock WRX in each configuration:

WRX sedan 5 speed: 14.3 second 1/4 mile
    WRX wagon 5 speed: 14.3 second 1/4 mile
    WRX sedan Auto: 15 + second 1/4 mile
    WRX wagon Auto: 15 + second 1/4 mile

Maybe it's late and I just don't understand the West Coast slang.

And I also happen to be a relatively long time member who owns a different car...

Where as that cleared up things a little bit, that still doesn't explain the 4-6 car lengths by 75mph... My car runs 10s and I rarely put that kind of car length on a car on the road let alone one that is rated as fast or faster than me 0-75... like I said Drivers error, drop it. I gave him HIS credit for winning so no need for YOU to try and defend him when you wernt the one racing. I was puzzled, but I have seen weirder things happen, I spun my tires so long at a light I got beat by a vette a STOCK vette... Bastard thought he was gods gift to the earth all while his girlfriend was waivin the thubs down at me get to the next light and I beat him so bad, I had to pull over to the side to wait for him to pass... He never made it What ever it comes to, no bad blood between any of us. I was doubtful and rightly so, but I acknowledge it in a way that still present my respect for his car and driving. Next kill story please

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.