"My Little GTO" vs. WRX

This is a discussion on "My Little GTO" vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving home from work last night, I was on the road approaching I680. At the last light before the freeway ...

"My Little GTO" vs. WRX

Driving home from work last night, I was on the road approaching I680. At the last light before the freeway onramps, I noticed a GTO in the middle lane. I thought this might be fun, right lane was clear, so I downshifted to 1st and slowly rolled up to the light. His car was a Pontiac GTO, I want to say '66. The paint was really sketchy, sort of half-primered looking, probably a project car.

Just as I rolled up beside him, the light went green. Beside him on his left was a Porsche 944. So apparently, he was concentrating on the Porsche and didn't notice me on the right. He and the Porsche went hard and I joined in the fun. I got off a nice launch, went WOT in 1st, pulling him hard, shifted to 2nd at 6500. My lane turned into freeway ramp South, I needed to go North, so I easily merged left ahead of Mr. GTO, now three car-lengths behind.

Meanwhile, the Porsche had shot ahead, GTO guy took offense at being spanked left and right by foreign iron and as we caught up to the Porsche entering the onramp going north, he closed up and started riding my *ss. This onramp is a good long sweeper, but tightens later into a late apex. The Porsche driver babied it a little in the turn, but Mr. GTO's 60's chassis was having trouble coping already, and as we hit the apex and the Porsche accelerated hard once it straighted out, I did too and we left that GTO's headlights way back there in the mirrors.

Once on the freeway, I slowed down to the 80 mph cruising speed, the GTO came flying up in the left lane, pulled alongside and the driver (another old guy with gray hair) flipped me off.
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 08-16-2003 at 10:20 AM.
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

niiiiiiiiiice

was it a real GTO or a lemans clone?? any info that u know on the motor?? how fast did u go before u had to turn...those gto's dont get traction very well and they really pick up top end.....but if it was stock it's maybe a 14second or something like that.....but all in all

o ya!!!! u should've gotten ahold of that porshce
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Hey there SPEEDRACER, I mean Custom S10.

It had the badges, but could've been a LeMans clone, I suppose - though I kind of doubt an older person would put fake badges on his car. But then again, what mature person flips you the bird in a situation like that ?....It was definitely a V8 sound - so far as I know, the 389 with three deuce carbueration was the standard Goat engine package. A guy at work has one, I'll see if he can send me a .jpg file of his car and I'll post it - it's a beauty, looks like he just rolled it off the showroom floor.

How fast before the turn ? We had to slow a bit and juke around a slow car in the right lane, I suppose 60 or 65. The Porsche and my WRX hit about 90 mph just before entering the freeway. He was quick and I wasn't about to weave through traffic to go after him, so I backed off and let him go.
    Old, but not slow.

hahah oops i mean customs10 u funny guy

nice killllll

how bout some video!!! i wanna see some rex vids....

anyways...some old guys just dunno what the car can do back when i had my car a co worker (not old but like 40) didn't know bout my car thought it was some regular car he wanted to race but then he was told to not even waste his time cuz he has an impala SS stock so he knows...but it's becoming known bout the wrx to the older car guys in the world
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!