STi vs C5 Vette

This is a discussion on STi vs C5 Vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well pulling out of the neighborhood this morning I noticed this red stockish looking C5 Vette hauling butt up the ...

STi vs C5 Vette

Well pulling out of the neighborhood this morning I noticed this red stockish looking C5 Vette hauling butt up the road. I had to really haul butt to catch up to him. When he noticed me he nailed it ( I see a little black smoke come from his exhaust) and he speeds away.
    So I nailed it to try to keep up with him. He gets caught is some traffic and has to slow down. So I get right behind him and basically follow him through the traffic. I knew that as soon as we hit a clear stretch or road, he was going to nail it.

The race.
    The road up ahead of us was totally clear except for one car in front of him. So I put my STi in 2nd gear ( 30-35mph or so) and waited. Bamm, as soonas we hit the clearing he nails it.
    I basically nailed it at the same time. He got a very slight jump on me but I quickly inched up on him. I was very suprized. In the 5500- 6500rpm range I was gaining ground on him. In the 6500-7000 rpm range we would both hold dead even with each other.
    At about 90mph , we both let off because of some up coming traffic. I don't know what would have happened if the race continued but I was glad it ended at 90mph.

I definately consider it a win because he had a good 1+
    car lead on me at the start. When we let off I was just slightly in front of him. It was a very exciting race with us runnning basically side by side for most of the race.

I never made eye contact with him but he looked pretty young. probably in his 20s or 30s. The C5 Vette was definately stock. It had the stock exhaust and was pretty quiet. All I could hear was my STi.

My mods are full catless turboback exhaust
    Godspeed Downpipe -w- Greddy EVO exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up Re: STi vs C5 Vette

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Well pulling out of the neighborhood this morning I noticed this red stockish looking C5 Vette hauling butt up the road. I had to really haul butt to catch up to him. When he noticed me he nailed it ( I see a little black smoke come from his exhaust) and he speeds away.
    So I nailed it to try to keep up with him. He gets caught is some traffic and has to slow down. So I get right behind him and basically follow him through the traffic. I knew that as soon as we hit a clear stretch or road, he was going to nail it.

The race.
    The road up ahead of us was totally clear except for one car in front of him. So I put my STi in 2nd gear ( 30-35mph or so) and waited. Bamm, as soonas we hit the clearing he nails it.
    I basically nailed it at the same time. He got a very slight jump on me but I quickly inched up on him. I was very suprized. In the 5500- 6500rpm range I was gaining ground on him. In the 6500-7000 rpm range we would both hold dead even with each other.
    At about 90mph , we both let off because of some up coming traffic. I don't know what would have happened if the race continued but I was glad it ended at 90mph.

car lead on me at the start. When we let off I was just slightly in front of him. It was a very exciting race with us runnning basically side by side for most of the race.

I never made eye contact with him but he looked pretty young. probably in his 20s or 30s. The C5 Vette was definately stock. It had the stock exhaust and was pretty quiet. All I could hear was my STi.

Nice work. It's probably good that you shut down at 90. Much beyond that and the vette's better drag coefficient and HP would have started having a greater affect.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

Good raced!

I'm still waiting for a C5 vette that will run me from a dig.. I also had friendly raced with a 2002 Mustang GT manual with exhaust and he got whooped silly.. Mind you, thats from a roll..
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    damnit, I want to race an STi already!
    2003 SRT-4

SGOS have you taken it to the track? If not what do you think you will run?
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    damnit, I want to race an STi already!
    Pick me, pick me!!
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

Inched up on a roll, that is gnarly.
    I have got to get a ride in the Sti.
    But i am afraid of o bigger payment, because there is no way i would be able to take it and not buy one.
    edit:
    That is what i had in mind about the magical WRX i had dreamed of from wathing rally for years.

It must be a mad house when it is under full boost with the tires in the LOA under accel.

Edit 2:
    (spit on ground) NOW THATS PUNK ROCK , KID!!!
    Last edited by Trypsin; 08-16-2003 at 08:37 PM.

Sounds similar to my results from a 5 mph roll, though I'm stock and didn't gain on him...he just couldn't open a gap on me.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

cracked up

Originally posted by sk1CL-S
    Pick me, pick me!!
    lol....all i could think of was the intro to shrek where the donkey is bouncing up and down saying that......lol
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Originally posted by GTP_Gator
    SGOS have you taken it to the track? If not what do you think you will run?
    I haven't taken it to the track but its fast. Since putting on the turboback exhaust the car has really gotten faster. I'm sure its good for very low 13s or high 12s. On a nice cool day with low humidity, it will easily run 12s. I have no doughts about that.

My closest 1/4 mile track is a good 120 miles away so I don't go that often. There is an 1/8 mile track close to where I live , but there's not to many people who are intereted in 1/8 mile times, especially the V8 guys. When I used to race my Stage 4 WRX at the 1/8 mile track (and beat Z06's regularly), the V8 guys would always say "big deal, who races the 1/8 mile anyway." So I really want to get some 1/4 mile times instead. But I may get an itch and take it to the track one Friday night just to see how fast she is in the 1/8 mile.

Its also extremely hot and humid (S. Florida) down here. Every day is in the low 90s with very high humidity. I'm going to wait for the weather to get a little better before making the trip up to race the 1/4 mile.

Re: STi vs C5 Vette

The race.

I would expect that your car should be faster than a stock C5 up to 120 or so seeing as how a stock STi does the quarter in almost exactly the same time as a stock C5. (low 13's) How much faster than a stock STi do you think your car is? I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my C5 (and WRX) in favor of an STi, but I expected that it should be about as fast as my C5, at least until about 110. Beyond 120 or so I would expect the C5 to run away. Are my expectations wrong?

Re: Re: STi vs C5 Vette

Originally posted by dangrass
    I would expect that your car should be faster than a stock C5 up to 120 or so seeing as how a stock STi does the quarter in almost exactly the same time as a stock C5. (low 13's) How much faster than a stock STi do you think your car is? I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my C5 (and WRX) in favor of an STi, but I expected that it should be about as fast as my C5, at least until about 110. Beyond 120 or so I would expect the C5 to run away. Are my expectations wrong?
    I definately felt a big improvement (seat of the pants) with the full catless exhaust setup.
    As far as how much faster it is compared to a stock STi, it will probably run a few tenths faster in the 1/4 mile.

About top end power
    The STi's sits slightly lower (1/2 inch I believe) than a stock WRX. Its also much more aerodynamic compared to the 02 Model WRX. This along with its close ratio 6 speed (3.90 gears) makes it perform much better at higher speeds.

But to beat a C5 from a roll at speeds over 100mph its going to take a few extra ponies. I'm hoping Turboxs or some other company will come out with some engine management/increase boost setups for the STi. Then it shouldn't have any trouble handling a stock C5 at any speed.

I have video of the supertuner fools running 12.79 on a stock STI... damn!
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Re: Re: Re: STi vs C5 Vette

I definately felt a big improvement (seat of the pants) with the full catless exhaust setup.
    As far as how much faster it is compared to a stock STi, it will probably run a few tenths faster in the 1/4 mile.

About top end power
    The STi's sits slightly lower (1/2 inch I believe) than a stock WRX. Its also much more aerodynamic compared to the 02 Model WRX. This along with its close ratio 6 speed (3.90 gears) makes it perform much better at higher speeds.

But to beat a C5 from a roll at speeds over 100mph its going to take a few extra ponies. I'm hoping Turboxs or some other company will come out with some engine management/increase boost setups for the STi. Then it shouldn't have any trouble handling a stock C5 at any speed.
    Thx...how do you think you would have done against the C5 stock?

Re: Re: Re: Re: STi vs C5 Vette

Originally posted by dangrass
    Thx...how do you think you would have done against the C5 stock?
    From a stop, the STi can take the C5 (non-Z06) if launched well. From a low-speed roll, the STi will keep with a C5 (personal experience). My roll with a C5 was 5-70 mph and he couldn't open a gap, although if we had gone too much faster, I suspect he would have eventually pulled away. This all being with a stock STi, of course.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH