Evo vs. STi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo vs. STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok so I found this on the net, does this guy have any clue what he is talking about because ...

Ike

Evo vs. STi

Ok so I found this on the net, does this guy have any clue what he is talking about because I just don't buy it, though maybe someone could enlighten me as to how the AWD stystem works on the Skyline and Evo compared to the STi. Thanks in advance.

"Subura STI AWD system eats up heaps of BHP. Splitting up the power to 4 wheels tends to diminish the amount of it by time it reaches the wheels. Take a look at a Nissan Skyline GTR V Spec 2. They are a 4wd car, but yet they have an advanced 4wd system where the car is a RWD until traction is lost, then power is applied to the front wheels to compensate for traction loss and gain acceleration. And as you will know a Skyline GTR is more expensive and more advanced and more performance than the STI.

Subaru STI is always a 4wd, and can only really distribute its power manually if the driver decides to. I think figures are like (50:50 front:rear, 36:64 Front:Rear).

The only car with fulltime 4wd I would take is the Evo 8. It has more advanced system where each wheel is monitored and power is distributed around all 4 wheels to give best results.

Also, I am not from USA and I have seen how the American version of Evo 8 is around 270bhp. That is a detuned version of Evo due to USA restrictions on cars. The standard Evo 8 comes out with 220kw ( aroudn 298bhp). This used to be 206kw ( 286bhp) with the earlier versions of Evo. The standard Evo 8 would beat an STI, and the Engine cc is around 458 less.

A standard rally car can not be over 2000cc. So unfortunately the 2459cc 300Bhp STI will not be used for rally.

I have an Evo 6.5 ( you can not get in USA ). And I would rather my car to a new STI. Its 14bhp less, and about 200kg ( Do not know that in pounds) less than Evo 8, which is less than a 300bhp STI. Standard Titanium turbo.

Anyway, I done a big spurt out here to let you know that 218hp @ wheels would be correct and Subarus are known to have **** HP at the wheels. And also, I saw some dude said his brother went 160mph. STI has a short ratio gear box, he could not have reached that speed on a standard version."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the STI is faster then the EVO8
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

not to mention the extra .5 liter promises more potential. I see what he's saying stock for stock. I think th evo is probably tuned more agressively out of the factory. Thats great if you plan on keeping it stock, They are pretty close in speed stock and handling.

I don't think that the evo we got has a more advanced AWD system than the STi.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

Ike
    I guess I should have been more clear, I want to know if this guy is full of crap when it comes to the AWD systems. Someone out there with extensive knowledge of AWD systems please speak up and help me out.

Ike

uhh he is talking about the jdm evo 8 i think
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Well, if the Evo's here came with the Active Yaw Control, then the Evo's system would be far superior. I don't think he takes into account that the USDM Evo's do not come with the Yaw control, which controls power to all four wheels independently.
    2002 WRX Sedan, Blue.
    Catless, Cobb Stage 2, and so on.

Originally posted by Raslian
    Well, if the Evo's here came with the Active Yaw Control, then the Evo's system would be far superior. I don't think he takes into account that the USDM Evo's do not come with the Yaw control, which controls power to all four wheels independently.
    It's not "far superior" the STi's drivetrain is quite incredible.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

He's right about the Skyline though.

Ike: I don't know but you do have a naughty banana.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

If ur talking about the JDM evo its the EVO7 in japan, and the awd system is not more " advance " the evo comes with better suspension tuning from the factory then the STI, but the thing is the STI is faster and with money you can make it handle better then the evo anyways..
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

Re: Evo vs. STi

Originally posted by Ike
    Ok so I found this on the net, does this guy have any clue what he is talking about because I just don't buy it, though maybe someone could enlighten me as to how the AWD stystem works on the Skyline and Evo compared to the STi. Thanks in advance.

"Subura STI AWD system eats up heaps of BHP. Splitting up the power to 4 wheels tends to diminish the amount of it by time it reaches the wheels. Take a look at a Nissan Skyline GTR V Spec 2. They are a 4wd car, but yet they have an advanced 4wd system where the car is a RWD until traction is lost, then power is applied to the front wheels to compensate for traction loss and gain acceleration. And as you will know a Skyline GTR is more expensive and more advanced and more performance than the STI.

Subaru STI is always a 4wd, and can only really distribute its power manually if the driver decides to. I think figures are like (50:50 front:rear, 36:64 Front:Rear).

The only car with fulltime 4wd I would take is the Evo 8. It has more advanced system where each wheel is monitored and power is distributed around all 4 wheels to give best results.

Also, I am not from USA and I have seen how the American version of Evo 8 is around 270bhp. That is a detuned version of Evo due to USA restrictions on cars. The standard Evo 8 comes out with 220kw ( aroudn 298bhp). This used to be 206kw ( 286bhp) with the earlier versions of Evo. The standard Evo 8 would beat an STI, and the Engine cc is around 458 less.

A standard rally car can not be over 2000cc. So unfortunately the 2459cc 300Bhp STI will not be used for rally.

I have an Evo 6.5 ( you can not get in USA ). And I would rather my car to a new STI. Its 14bhp less, and about 200kg ( Do not know that in pounds) less than Evo 8, which is less than a 300bhp STI. Standard Titanium turbo.

Anyway, I done a big spurt out here to let you know that 218hp @ wheels would be correct and Subarus are known to have **** HP at the wheels. And also, I saw some dude said his brother went 160mph. STI has a short ratio gear box, he could not have reached that speed on a standard version."
    On STi knowledge, this guy is completely clueless. And on Evo. By "beating" an STi with an Evo 8, it depends on what he means...because an STi takes it on acceleration. Not using the STi in rally is about the dumbest thing I've heard...they limit to 2.0L, so it's obvious it won't be used, as it's also lower powered (as I hear it) than the real rally car...geez, idiot. Evo and STi weigh the same in all comparisons I see, so 200 kg less is a load of crap. I have not seen, anywhere, that Subarus don't put out good power to the wheels. Only the limiter keeps an STi from 160 mph, according to what those who have hit the limiter say.

This guy is a buffoon trying to hype his own car.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Form what i remember the WRC is limited @ 300hp.
    I know that the y might not actually abide by this rule.

The SCCA Pro does not have HP restrictions and have more power than the WCR counterparts.

As for AWD system diff. i am going to do a search but i know the has been some great links about this on this board.

It is a widely-accepted fact that WRXs and STIs have higher drivetrain losses compared to the Evos (and the Skylines, obviously).

WRX
    Rated at 227 hp
    Dynoed at 168.4 hp on TurboXS' Dynapack
    Transmission loss = 26 %

Evo
    Rated at 271 hp
    Dynoed at 238.4 hp on TurboXS' Dynapack
    Transmission loss = 12 %

Ike
    Originally posted by AlexWRX
    It is a widely-accepted fact that WRXs and STIs have higher drivetrain losses compared to the Evos (and the Skylines, obviously).

WRX
    Rated at 227 hp
    Dynoed at 168.4 hp on TurboXS' Dynapack
    Transmission loss = 26 %

Evo
    Rated at 271 hp
    Dynoed at 238.4 hp on TurboXS' Dynapack
    Transmission loss = 12 %

Ummmm, that dyno is from an Evo with 18+ peak PSI boost,a Utec, turboback, and perhaps a FMIC. I think you're wrong with your numbers. (Edit: Hrm... I'm not so sure about this, TurboXS isn't very clear about if the car was modded or not. Matbe that is a stock baseline... Anyhow the STi dynoed at 264, which is what should be compared to the Evo)

Lastly, I believe the WRC is limited to 2.0 engines and the Evo guy was correct. Does anyone know the difference between the AWD systems of these cars, anyone? I could be wrong as well but you might want to check your info before calling people buffoons.

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 08-17-2003 at 09:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast