RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just received a brochure/magazine from Mazda (Road&Track guide to RX-8) and the performance numbers are close to the wrx. ...

RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon?

I just received a brochure/magazine from Mazda (Road&Track guide to RX-8) and the performance numbers are close to the wrx.

Curb weight: 3000 lb
    0-60 mph 5.9 sec
    0-100 mph 15.9 sec
    1/4 mile 14.5 @ 95.6 mph

What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My friend has one, and it is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than my rex.

Plus it seems most of the owners are older and not the racing type.

There will likely be turbo's for it, nothing factory though. The cars compression ratio isn't too friendly to it. Something like 10:1 or more.

FI on rotaries = Not quite reliable.

I wonder how the new side port design will like FI, seems it would like it better than the old style where the apex seals are having to go accros the ports.

It does seem friendlier.

FI seems almost necessary with the lack of torque. I've driven the RX-8, and i wasn't too impressed.

From what I've read, it seems similar to the S2000. It's got great handling, but you really have to wring it out to get power. Torque and low end response is lacking.

It is similar, they even LOOK similar. Both 9K redlines, and 240 hp. But the S has a bit more torque and is faster.

The 8 does handle well though, but i'm not fond of heavy 18in wheel/tire combos.

What the heck is going on with Mazda? I'd rather buy a used Rx-7 tt than a new Rx-8. The RX-7 is prolly one of the sexiest looking sports car under 50 grand.

Its kinda sad to see mazada with their mazda 6, speed, and rx8. Now Nissan and Subaru? Thats what I'm talking about. I'll add Mitsu to the list for the EVO.

Originally posted by AsianWRX
    What the heck is going on with Mazda? I'd rather buy a used Rx-7 tt than a new Rx-8. The RX-7 is prolly one of the sexiest looking sports car under 50 grand.

Its kinda sad to see mazada with their mazda 6, speed, and rx8. Now Nissan and Subaru? Thats what I'm talking about. I'll add Mitsu to the list for the EVO.
    Yea, the RX7 OWNZ the RX8, it's a shame they're all used huh?

Beautiful car (the 7).

yea i definitely agree, the rx-7 is so much better in design and engine, sides you could swap in a 3 rotor for an easy 400rwhp!
    the rx-8 is nice tho, i like the looks and the fact that it holds four, but the rx-7 look like a rocket! velocity.isfaster.com has one of the cleanest, nicest drift-tuned rx-7s i have seen! even the old gen ones are sweet. i think mazda, nissan, mitsu, and subies have really upped the bar for our generation of car enthusiasts, only toyota is left..... its all a matter of time.....

Wait a couple of years. Road and Track had an article about them reviving the RX-7 in 2006 with around 300hp.

The RX-8 will not last very long since most of the target should be previous RX-7 owners and without a turbo they just won't bite.

Originally posted by RallySubie
    The RX-8 will not last very long since most of the target should be previous RX-7 owners and without a turbo they just won't bite.
    I disagree and think that the RX-8 will make it, and hope that it does. If it flops, goodbye rotorary forever.

I take it that you are a bunch of magazine test drivers, because you seem to be talking from an overly biased point of view. I have test driven an RX-8 and the RX-7 can't compare to its refinery... If the RX-8 was a Turbo charged production car, it would wipe ass of all cars in its class, being the 350Z, G45s (and cross over to take out an STI in the mean time) and what ever else you throw at it. And NO it is not aimed soley at RX-7 owners because there is a new RX-7 coming out within the 2004-2006 introduction periods. The RX-8 DID NOT replace the RX-7, it is simply an attempt to bring the rotary engine back into play, then to land a series of RX cars. It is one of the nicest cars you can get with a functional back seat at $26/27K FULLY LOADED can't beat that. Just let things roll, we will see how things pan out, don't be too scared to have an open mind, it wont kill you. Never know, might help you live longer...
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

One of my closest friends has one... I've driven it, and riden in it, and i'm willing to be been around it more than you have.

The car has no torque, and the "if" argument is lame. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

The car is nice, it's refined, it's not perfect however, and the interior didn't WOW me. A seperated back seat is silly...

The car handles well, but it's NOT FAST ENOUGH for me to consider it a sports car.

From Road & Track RX-8 magazine:

"According to sources, a turbocharged or supercharged version of the Renesis powerplant is a distinct possibility in the near future......

According to one of the car's powertrain engineers, much can be done to the new Renesis engine. It's as amicable to a turbocharger as it is to a supercharger; which path is taken will be up to you and your tuner."

From Jun Toyoda, HKS USA President:

"Being that it shares the rotary spirit of the RX-7, I predict that we'll see a lot of wildly tuned RX-8s in the near future. As for us, naturally, we'll tweak the suspension and give it added flamboyance. And we'll most likely turbocharged the engine. How much more power we give it depends on the durability and reliability of the Renesis rotary. For now, 300 bhp is a reasonable yet conservative goal. Of course, that figure may rise....."

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast