RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by wrxracer WRX-8 welcome to the boards... nice car.. your going to get some difference of opinion on ...

Re: RX-8

Originally posted by wrxracer
    WRX-8 welcome to the boards... nice car.. your going to get some difference of opinion on some things... first off for me i don't like the interior at all, mostly due to that odd center piece running all the way through the center of the interior..that just ruins it for me.. then comes your comment about niether car having an advanatge at stoplights.. well once you learn to launch the WRX it makes a big difference on the outcome to any race... also it could be due to the fact your sons WRX has no mods/performance parts... either way nice choice in cars
    Yea i agree about that center console thing.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the welcome.

The WRX does seem very difficult to launch properly. At first we were getting high 15's and after about 20 runs on two different days we were able to get the 15.12. The conditions were similiar although 2300 miles apart. The first runs were in Florida and then he moved to AZ and we ran it there.

BTW he has a few mods but since I am not a turbo or mods kind of guy I may misrepresent them.

1) blow off valve (sounds cool but becomes annoying)
    2) manual boost controller
    3) boost gauge
    4) a larger down pipe (?) (first pipe in the exhaust)
    5) cold air intake

As for the handling the WRX seems to waiver ad wander as it goes down the road. I do like the fact that you can nail it in a corner and it just tracks like it's on rails even in the rain.

I love the center console and the whole look of the interior in the 8. The back seats are also more liveable than the WRX.

They are both great cars, the 8 is great for me and the WRX is great for him and all you guys. ENJOY!
    Last edited by WRX-8; 08-21-2003 at 08:55 PM.

Sure will, glad your happy with the car.

Is his car a manual?
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

Re: RX-8 from a roll...

Originally posted by wrxracer
    well well well.... what luck yesterday... out for alittle ride and what is behind me just pulling out of the gas station.. ooooooo a nice color blue RX-8 with saleman and dealer tags on a test drive....two guys in it, one seemed dressed nice the other in casual dress.. maybe two salesmen.. not sure.. any way, going down the road at about 45 in a 45 trying to slow some to see if he will get beside me, when the light turns red... hes right next to me but shows no sign of racing.. so we both go normal.. 3000rpm shifts for me.. can't hear the RX-8, so his lane is clear and car just turned off a side street in front of me.. so i get in behind him the RX-8, and he gets on it... starts to pull until the turbo spools up.. were now doing about 50 and the boost hits, 16.5 for me... in second gear, i pull even look over and its neck and neck.. then the shift into third and run up until about 80 give or take.. and hes about two car lengths back... then i see him hit the turn signal and turn off into a side street... nice looking car i thought, to bad he did'nt want to talk..
    You raced a clueless RX-8 driver and won by only 2 car lengths? Before I begin and people think I am a "bad man" (which I am ) I say nice kill to you. But, as I was gunna say, you should have MUDERED him. To get the low 14s and bellow times you have to be able to shift at the high 9Krpm redline, and no new/rook driver would be able to do that. So not knowing how to shift + no torque = murder. Shame on you for not winning by at least 2 BUS lengths! Oh and Ike, I agree, Domestics DO rock! Feel free to go off topic and bring them up ANY TIME! lol
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

Wanna read something funny:
    The 5.9 seconds comes from a 8000 rpm clutch DROP!!

"With the help of an 8000-rpm clutch drop and the engine buzzing like a flock of angry hornets, the RX-8 scooted to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 96 mph. But that performance falls off considerably without a tire-frying launch. In our street-start test from 5 to 60 mph, the RX-8 needed 7.5 secondsó1.6 seconds longer than the hard-launch time, which is twice the deficit we found with either of the other cars. And despite its trim weight and short gearing (20 mph per 1000 rpm in sixth), the RX-8 also had the slowest top-gear acceleration times by a wide margin."
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=5
    Last edited by smolten; 08-18-2003 at 01:25 PM.

Forget about turboing the rx-8. The way the exhaust routes it will be difficult(expensive but not impossilbe) to put a turbo on. Then the emissions would also be difficult to pass because the exhaust runs cool... making the cat back ineffective. Supercharger is a bit easier BUT the car is a high rever which doesn't mate well with a roots blower. OVer all rx-8... PASS!!

Srt and wrx are what I have my money on. Evo is a pass to. rather get a wrx and mod it (cheaper) till the evo's show up used.

Ike
    That is all still speculation, and is dependant on RX-8 sales.

Ike

I think the sales will be less than the practical mazda6 which was a disappointment.... eventhough I bought one.

Like I said earlier. Mazada is just not with it. They build long lasting, practical cars. The only car that Mazda really dominated their own area is with... you guessed it. RX7.

Lets see. What can I buy that competes with the RX8 category.

1)HONDA S2000 - I'll take that over the RX8. Sure, you might be unique with RX8. I'll take the value.

3)NISSAN 350Z S - It will be a toss up. The Z looks better. It zings better.

4) TOYOTA MR2 S - Ugly, slow, sloppy. This is another car that should've stuck with the old formula. I'll take the RX8

5) FORD Mustang GT Conv.- If everyone and their mom didn't drive one of these. I'll take this over the RX8 in a heart beat.

Thats all the cars that I can think of representin their make at the moment that closest resembles the RX8... I'm not THAT knowlegable. Please add to this list

Originally posted by Shard
    Sure will, glad your happy with the car.
    Is his car a manual?
    Yes.
    I drove test drove the auto and talk about a dog.

Smolten,
    As for the RX-8 and it's 8K launch comment..at what RPM do you launch the WRX at to get a decent launch and good times?

Originally posted by Ike
    I get people coming up to me and talking to me about my car at least twice a week.
    Ike
    I'm sure it's because it's much newer and more rare but try twice every time the car stops or slows down or speeds up or goes through a drive thru or makes a gas stop or is just parked in a mall etc etc. No exageration If I haven't been asked about the car over 200 times in one month I'd be surprised.

Except for this forum every comment has been positive. You all should drive one sometime with an open mind you may surprised. I'm not saying you'll buy one just that you may be pleasantly surprised, and then again maybe not. I drove them all: S2000, G35, 350Z, WRX, Cooper S, 330i, RSX, etc. etc. The best over all car for me was the RX-8 and to me it is the best looking by far.

BTW: the RX-8 is my 26th car including 4 Camaros, a couple Mustangs, a BMW, Audi, a couple VW's, Toyota 4-Runner, Amigo, MX-3, Integra...and the list goes on. The 8 is my favorite all around.

peace.

Cool cars.......

glad you like the car.. i feel the same about my WRX.. and i have the same problem you do about people all ways stopping me asking me, does that car go as fast as it looks.. or that thing looks evil... nice car.. reving at me to try too get me ot race or just to see what she will do... enjoy the car and mostly have fun...
    it's stock really....

RX-8 is a nice car period. (In my opinion!!)
    Is it a WRX rival? That's up to you to decide. Who cares?
    Even a modded Tercel could be a rival. (heavy mods...very very heavy mods)
    Just enjoy your car!!
    -soul

It seems as if the only reason most people dislike the rx-8 is because it can't beat a certain car(s). I think the rx-8 is a fine car, I love the interior, haven't been behind the wheel but i'm sure it's a blast to drive. Plus you got the rear-wheel drive.... even though 4 is better than 2 But there are some things that are more fun with rwd than awd .

Lol, this turned into a pissing contest? "MY car gets more compliments than YOUR car!" Lol, The RX-8 is newer and it looks nasty, hands down it gets the most compliments, but WHO CARES! "People ask me if my car is as fast as it looks" Celicas LOOK fast... (WRXs look fast if your driving down a wide dirt road with a whole bunch of jeeps around it ) This thread is amusing, it has strayed far from its orginal question "RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon?" Oh and MY car gets MORE copliments than both of your put together! I'm done.
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.