RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by C9A1L1L I don't know about that. Now-a-days it is all about getting the bang for the buck, ...

Ike
    Originally posted by C9A1L1L
    I don't know about that. Now-a-days it is all about getting the bang for the buck, and looks matter as much as performance, and that is the package the RX-8 has in under $30K loaded. Torqueless, well yeah, that goes along with the 9000rpm red line. It is still packing 240hp n/a (I know it is all about torque, don't go there with me... lol) I'm not defending the RX-8 so stop aiming everything at me lol. I just offered a rebutle. Oh and MY OPINION ALSO came from driving the car (over night 24hr deal) Again made me realize why I hate cars that have under 300ft-lb torque. If my neck doesn't snap back, I'll take it back. It was still however a chick magnet and an attention getter so no qualms there. Lets lay it to rest. I give.

Let me say this one more time so it sinks in, you CAN"T GET AN RX-8 FULLY LOADED FOR under 30k (yet). Most are going at or near MSRP and 9 of the 10 I've seen at the dealers were in the 31-33k pricerange, which is the same price point as the STi, but that's just a bad comparison. Lastly, most of the track times and dynos seem to be indicating that at the strip these cars might have a hard time breaking into the 14s, the ATs will have a hard time with 15s, but it's still early.

Ike

Ike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yea right now there is big controversy over the low numbers these things are putting down on the dynos.

Most are ~180 which is like >25% power loss if mazda rated them right.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

Originally posted by Ike
    Let me say this one more time so it sinks in, you CAN"T GET AN RX-8 FULLY LOADED FOR under 30k (yet). Most are going at or near MSRP and 9 of the 10 I've seen at the dealers were in the 31-33k pricerange, which is the same price point as the STi, but that's just a bad comparison. Lastly, most of the track times and dynos seem to be indicating that at the strip these cars might have a hard time breaking into the 14s, the ATs will have a hard time with 15s, but it's still early.

Ike

Ike
    Pay attention... I said LOADED noy FULLY loaded BTW, I don't know where YOU livere but here, RX-8s with full factory options are priced at about $33/4K usually lower, and we are talking GrandTouring package, 6 speed, spoiler, moon roof, spalsh guards, sport 2-toned seats, the works. And whats funny cause I live in the Sacramento/San Juan/Silicon Valley, where cars tend to be priced above MSRP... reguardless, I doubt people are getting RX-8s so that they can take it to the drag strip. They are lookers, plain and simple. To have a beautiful car and have some performance behind it, at a reasonable price... If you want sole performace, get your STi, if you want a looker, that will turn heads at most corners, and still be able to beat half of the ricers out there, you get the RX-8. And to who ever had said it, yes the RX-7 is slated to come back, they had one at the latest auto show at Cal Expo, meaner looking, higher torque rating and turbos. Lets drop this argument, shame on you guys for digging it back up
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

What have I done....

All I'm saying is that IMHO, I'll take the RX7 over the RX8 anyday. I don't need the extra 2 seats, if I did, I'll have a WRX. Wait a minute... I DO! LOL!!

I'd consider the RX7 a TRUE sports car. 2 seater, gorgeous look, tt, Razor handling, interior design, oh and the red.... WOW!

You might be able to get the RX8 to look, handle, and go like one. I'd take the RX7 anyway you cut it.

If I ever get the RX8, I'd have to wear an Xmen outfit

Ike
    Originally posted by C9A1L1L
    Pay attention... I said LOADED noy FULLY loaded BTW, I don't know where YOU livere but here, RX-8s with full factory options are priced at about $33/4K usually lower, and we are talking GrandTouring package, 6 speed, spoiler, moon roof, spalsh guards, sport 2-toned seats, the works. And whats funny cause I live in the Sacramento/San Juan/Silicon Valley, where cars tend to be priced above MSRP... reguardless, I doubt people are getting RX-8s so that they can take it to the drag strip. They are lookers, plain and simple. To have a beautiful car and have some performance behind it, at a reasonable price... If you want sole performace, get your STi, if you want a looker, that will turn heads at most corners, and still be able to beat half of the ricers out there, you get the RX-8. And to who ever had said it, yes the RX-7 is slated to come back, they had one at the latest auto show at Cal Expo, meaner looking, higher torque rating and turbos. Lets drop this argument, shame on you guys for digging it back up
    Loaded, fully loaded it's stupid argument anyhow. I agree the RX-8 is more of a looker and will atract a totally different crowd than the STi. I just got back from the strip and it was Nitro Madness or some silly name like that. There were some sick Camaros there, including 4 or 5 early 70s models, but as the name would imply they were almost all running Nos. Let me say I have a new found respect for nos and american muscle for that matter, 10 foot purges in the air and running 6, 7, 8 second runs must be some insane fun.

Fastest Maro and car of the night was an 80s model with a 6.77 @ 211, most of these cars had over 600 cu. in. Chevys with a few Fords representing. I always thought Dodge was more of a player in the amateur ranks at the strip, but I don't think there was a single dodge motor there.

Ike

well its probally because most older dodges use Chevy blocks, but i dont mean to come off as a prick dude honestly so no hard feelings, but use the word nitrious not NOS, trust me man
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

Ike
    Nos is just a brand name, it's like calling a hot tub a Jacuzzi, or is there more to it than that?

Ike

so wait... ur correcting ur self?
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

How did this get steering into an amercian muscle N20 debate?

Cool RX-8 from a roll...

well well well.... what luck yesterday... out for alittle ride and what is behind me just pulling out of the gas station.. ooooooo a nice color blue RX-8 with saleman and dealer tags on a test drive....two guys in it, one seemed dressed nice the other in casual dress.. maybe two salesmen.. not sure.. any way, going down the road at about 45 in a 45 trying to slow some to see if he will get beside me, when the light turns red... hes right next to me but shows no sign of racing.. so we both go normal.. 3000rpm shifts for me.. can't hear the RX-8, so his lane is clear and car just turned off a side street in front of me.. so i get in behind him the RX-8, and he gets on it... starts to pull until the turbo spools up.. were now doing about 50 and the boost hits, 16.5 for me... in second gear, i pull even look over and its neck and neck.. then the shift into third and run up until about 80 give or take.. and hes about two car lengths back... then i see him hit the turn signal and turn off into a side street... nice looking car i thought, to bad he did'nt want to talk..
    it's stock really....

Ike
    Originally posted by Shard
    How did this get steering into an amercian muscle N20 debate?
    Sorry just got back from the drags and saw the car in C9's Sig, so thought I would bring it up Carry on!

I speak from experience more so than most of you. I own a RX-8 and my son owns a 03 WRX. We usaully run neck and neck neither has the advantage at stop light wars. The handling goes to the 8, it may be the 18 " tires but I vote for the superior suspension. Interior goes to the 8 much much nicer all around, the exterior goes to the 8 by leaps and bounds. We have never had anyone show interest in the rex when cruising around except other rex owners or wanna be's. We get so much attention in the 8 that it is starting to get annoying. Not one negative comment yet and literally hundreds of positive.

Yes the 8 cost more and it shows in the build and materials. Both are great cars we both just happen to like the 8 more.

Originally posted by WRX-8
    I speak from experience more so than most of you. I own a RX-8 and my son owns a 03 WRX. We usaully run neck and neck neither has the advantage at stop light wars. The handling goes to the 8, it may be the 18 " tires but I vote for the superior suspension. Interior goes to the 8 much much nicer all around, the exterior goes to the 8 by leaps and bounds. We have never had anyone show interest in the rex when cruising around except other rex owners or wanna be's. We get so much attention in the 8 that it is starting to get annoying. Not one negative comment yet and literally hundreds of positive.

Yes the 8 cost more and it shows in the build and materials. Both are great cars we both just happen to like the 8 more.
    Methinks your son needs to learn to drive

Ike
    Originally posted by WRX-8

I get people coming up to me and talking to me about my car at least twice a week. I thought the RX-8 handled really well, but the body roll bothered me and I liked the WRXs handling better (hard to truely tell in a test drive though), I also have 17' wheels and high performance tires on mine and from what I'm told that makes a huge difference.

Ike

Cool RX-8

WRX-8 welcome to the boards... nice car.. your going to get some difference of opinion on some things... first off for me i don't like the interior at all, mostly due to that odd center piece running all the way through the center of the interior..that just ruins it for me.. then comes your comment about niether car having an advanatge at stoplights.. well once you learn to launch the WRX it makes a big difference on the outcome to any race... also it could be due to the fact your sons WRX has no mods/performance parts... either way nice choice in cars
    it's stock really....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.