RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on RX-8's: Another wrx rival soon? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by C9A1L1L I take it that you are a bunch of magazine test drivers, because you seem to ...

Ike
    Originally posted by C9A1L1L
    I take it that you are a bunch of magazine test drivers, because you seem to be talking from an overly biased point of view. I have test driven an RX-8 and the RX-7 can't compare to its refinery... If the RX-8 was a Turbo charged production car, it would wipe ass of all cars in its class, being the 350Z, G45s (and cross over to take out an STI in the mean time) and what ever else you throw at it. And NO it is not aimed soley at RX-7 owners because there is a new RX-7 coming out within the 2004-2006 introduction periods. The RX-8 DID NOT replace the RX-7, it is simply an attempt to bring the rotary engine back into play, then to land a series of RX cars. It is one of the nicest cars you can get with a functional back seat at $26/27K FULLY LOADED can't beat that. Just let things roll, we will see how things pan out, don't be too scared to have an open mind, it wont kill you. Never know, might help you live longer...
    I've learned after hanging around the RX-8 forums to forget about the RX-7 and not compare it to the RX-8, they are very very different cars and it's not fair to either of them to compare. The RX-8 is much more about creature comforts and practicality, and the exterior design is rather beautiful.

Fully loaded they are about 32K (without Nav I believe), most of them that are coming to the dealers that I have seen are above 30K and have the grand touring package which is a 4k add-on. If you can find the 27k models a lot of them will end up being the AT version which has 210hp, I drove it, it's a dog. I will be driving the AT tomorrow if I can make time in my schedule, maybe if I like it I can talk my girlfriend into trading her altima in for one

Ike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i for one am not really worried about the torqueless wonder... bring on the turbo versions and ill get concerned, also the owners probably are not going to be ones that would bother trying to mess with us... although no one really tries me around here...
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

FYI, my "IF" STATEMENT was NOT and argument, it was fact. The car is torqueless because it has a 9000rpm redline. It would beat a stock WRX, wouldn't beat a turboed one, but then again, slap a turbo on the reni and we are back to stage 1. My only argument is that the RX-7 and RX-8 aren't the same thing, and should be viewed differently. It is indeed sporty looking, and has decent stats, good enough to be considered a sports car. What else would it be? Family wagon, Sedan, SUV, Truck?
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

Ike
    FYI, my "IF" STATEMENT was NOT and argument, it was fact. The car is torqueless because it has a 9000rpm redline. It would beat a stock WRX, wouldn't beat a turboed one, but then again, slap a turbo on the reni and we are back to stage 1.

I'm... so... confused...

So it would beat a stock WRX, but not one with a turbo...

good enough to be considered a sports car. What else would it be? Family wagon, Sedan, SUV, Truck?
    Sport sedan

FYI, my "IF" STATEMENT was NOT and argument, it was fact. The car is torqueless because it has a 9000rpm redline. It would beat a stock WRX, wouldn't beat a turboed one, but then again, slap a turbo on the reni and we are back to stage 1.
    All WRX have turbochargers. And most are in the $24-27k range. Add a turbo to the RX-8 and you're at something like $30-35k, into STi range. Just saying that the RX-8 is more expensive. I'm sure it has qualities that the WRX doesn't.

True, but an RX-8 (from the numbers given) when driven well, would be able to take a WRX, and that is with the RX-8 being n/a. make it turboed and it will still cost around the same if not less as the STi. Prices are comparable, but I am sure the RX-8 is a better chick magnet/ attention getter.

God this argument gets ridiculous everytime someone starts it. Slap a turbo on this, and it'll beat that. Duh, god we get it, only "slapping" a turbo on a high strung N/A engine is hardly easy, or reliable.

And i'm with the crowd, "stock wrx w/o a turbo" =

Your IF statement is fact? Exactly how much experience do you have with turbocharged renesis engines?

Bench facts. Just like what everyone else is doing. None of us own or have modded a RX-8 so none of us really know exactly what we are talkin about. But I was using common sense. It's YOUR IMPORT world, I am just visiting in it. What ever you say chief

True, but an RX-8 (from the numbers given) when driven well, would be able to take a WRX, and that is with the RX-8 being n/a.
    Given the numbers, a driver's race...

Bench facts. Just like what everyone else is doing. None of us own or have modded a RX-8 so none of us really know exactly what we are talkin about. But I was using common sense. It's YOUR IMPORT world, I am just visiting in it. What ever you say chief
    I suppose that the whole turbo argument is bench facts.

However, my claim that it's too slow and torquless is based on driving/riding experience.

And turn, i don't think it's a drivers race. .5 seconds in the quarter looks farther than it sounds.

I take it that you are a bunch of magazine test drivers, because you seem to be talking from an overly biased point of view. I have test driven an RX-8 and the RX-7 can't compare to its refinery... If the RX-8 was a Turbo charged production car, it would wipe ass of all cars in its class, being the 350Z, G45s (and cross over to take out an STI in the mean time) and what ever else you throw at it. And NO it is not aimed soley at RX-7 owners because there is a new RX-7 coming out within the 2004-2006 introduction periods. The RX-8 DID NOT replace the RX-7, it is simply an attempt to bring the rotary engine back into play, then to land a series of RX cars. It is one of the nicest cars you can get with a functional back seat at $26/27K FULLY LOADED can't beat that. Just let things roll, we will see how things pan out, don't be too scared to have an open mind, it wont kill you. Never know, might help you live longer...

I DID NOT say it was aimed at RX-7 owners. I said in order for it to be successfull it should be aimed at previous RX-7 owners. And from a lot of people it seems like the RX-8 just does not have the get up and go like the older RX-7 (mainly because of the turbo).

If the older RX-7 could not maintain its stay with its performance, why would a non-turboed rotary? Just because its cheaper. I don't think so.

Originally posted by RallySubie
    If the older RX-7 could not maintain its stay with its performance, why would a non-turboed rotary? Just because its cheaper. I don't think so.
    I don't know about that. Now-a-days it is all about getting the bang for the buck, and looks matter as much as performance, and that is the package the RX-8 has in under $30K loaded. Torqueless, well yeah, that goes along with the 9000rpm red line. It is still packing 240hp n/a (I know it is all about torque, don't go there with me... lol) I'm not defending the RX-8 so stop aiming everything at me lol. I just offered a rebutle. Oh and MY OPINION ALSO came from driving the car (over night 24hr deal) Again made me realize why I hate cars that have under 300ft-lb torque. If my neck doesn't snap back, I'll take it back. It was still however a chick magnet and an attention getter so no qualms there. Lets lay it to rest. I give.

Lets lay it to rest. I give.
    GOOD!

j/k

damn it! basically the car industrie is curved towards reliability and effiecancy, + power, the RX8 is a Renaissance Rotary, built for better emissions and reliability, Rotaries NEVER had torque, the WRX has alot more potential then the RX8 does, and the RX7 im almost positive is not coming back, and if it does its just not gona be the same. RX8 great sports car for the price i guess, alot of goodies and neat things to the car, but the bark is bigger then the bite
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.