How fast are Preludes? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How fast are Preludes? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It doesn't matter manual or automatic. the 97 and 98 ludes had 195hp...then they kicked it up for 99-01 to ...

It doesn't matter manual or automatic. the 97 and 98 ludes had 195hp...then they kicked it up for 99-01 to 200hp. The extra 5hp comes from somewhere in the exhaust system. Some are saying the headers, others say it's the b Pipe. I say it's either the change in the radio or the 'PRELUDE' on the honeycomb grille.
    -STomp
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

my ass has more torque when its squeezing turds out then a honda does
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

Originally posted by Subiguy831
    my ass has more torque when its squeezing turds out then a honda does
    That's original...
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

need some torque smokey??? i think i might have some lying around here some where...

93-96 vtec are 2.2l 190hp the Si is 2.3l 160hp

need some torque smokey??? i think i might have some lying around here some where...
    Now now, be nice to the rsx peeps

2.3l!!! the only honda thats a " SI " is a Civic and thats a B16 wich is a 1.6 litter DOHC Vtec , there was the 2.3 none vtec prelude 2.2 none vtec prelude , the 2.2 vtec making 190 hp and the new ones are 2.2 making 200 hp but the Si that u reffer to that makes 165 hp is the B16 1.6 litter, hondas Bseries rating are pretty simple, B16 = 1.6 liter, B18 = 1.8 liter, then theres the H series wich is H22 = 2.2 liter and the H23 = well.. im sure u can figure it out, both the H and the B series are all Dual over head cam motors... lol i used to be a honda driver, other series are J , K , etc etc
    Last edited by Subiguy831; 08-19-2003 at 01:42 AM.

Need some topend? I think I have some lying around here...

BTW, this is all in good fun.

Hi guys, I'm new, just had to chime in here....

First off, I own a 2001 Honda Prelude 5 speed base with AEM short ram (warm air intake ) neuspeed/tokico suspension and 17" racing rims and that is it for mods.

Allow me to also say that I have an affinity for Preludes, I've owned 3 of them so far....however I am looking into my next car being a 2004 WRX STi in a couple years.

Allow me to clear up some confusion about Preludes:
    FIrst off, they did Make an "Si" Prelude from 1992-1996 the Si designation was for the H23 powered, non-VTEC models. All 97+ ludes are VTEC. THe 99+ ludes upped the HP to 200 with larger stock headers, tq stayed the same at a measly 156ft lbs.

That said, My friend has an 03 WRX Sedan and it is bone stock at the moment. My Prelude's only engine mods is a short ram intake....just for fun we have raced each other even though I was hesitant to because I knew the WRX is faster stock for stock, especially from a stoplight race.

FIrst time we raced was on a two lane highway, no traffic, I had one passenger as did he, I also have a 50 lb subwoofer in my trunk although I'm sure it didn't make a difference.
    We went from a 55 mph roll, 3 honks and went for it, both into 3rd gear.....we stayed dead even till I got to the top of third gear and by then the WRX's longer gears he was getting full boost and pulled on me about 1/2 car length. went into 4th gear before he did which set me back further to about 1-1.5 car lengths, as we both went toward the top of 4th he kept pulling on me slowly till we hit 100 mph at which point he shut down.....at 100 mph the WRX edged the Prelude out by 2-3 car lengths. I had expected this though.

Second time was a real race....highspeed on a twisty road that we are both very familiar with at night. I had the lead, he followed...I was doing 55 in a 45 and he was on my bumper, flashed his lights at me to "GO" so naturally I dropped to 3rd and we were off....of course he stayed on my bumper on the acceleration....then came the first set of turns, I put the lude through them smoothly, not getting too crazy yet, I was a little concerned because it was night....he stayed with me ok, then came another car in front, we both blew past it doing twice it's speed by the we were moving at 80mph+ on a road that has a 45mph speed limit and a lot of turns have "suggested speeds" of 30.....I just let the lude work it's magic at this point, kept her at 5K rpms + on the turns in 4th gear, 3rd sometimes, started really pushing after I started getting a feel for the road at this speed...I was so into it that I forgot about the WRX come to find he was over 10 car lengths back....I kept the speed up, taking turns at a speed just to wear the tires were complaining a little. by the time we got to the road we both live on I couldn't even see his lights....

we talked about this second run when we got to my house....he said he said the stock WRX was floating a lot on the turns and that it was feeling really hairy so that's why he hung back....

The point of this reply is just to give a Prelude owners prospective on how it fairs against the WRX. There is no question that the Rex will walk a Non FI, non-nitrous Prelude off the line, AWD and the torque of a turbo is the ticket. I also believe that a WRX's stock suspension is crap on high speed turns, it's too floaty and not stiff enough, I've driven his Rex, it feels hairy compared to the lude, poor road feel on stock suspension, I also feel that with modified suspension on a Rex and good gripping tires that it would tear it up, the REX's boxer engine sits low and keeps the weight up front low, the downfall is the VERY high suspension travel that makes the car lean like none other on turns in stock form. Lowering with sport/race suspension is needed for serious road fun.

The WRX takes well to mods, waste gates, BOV's etc, turbo cars are a lot of fun to tweak. The only way a Prelude has a chance in hell of beating a WRX is if it is Turbo charged or running nitrous. The fastest N/A prelude I've seen was my buddies 2001 that has I/H/E and Vtec controller, he ran a 14.9 @ 96mph and that was on 18" rims. Typically a stock 5 speed VTEC lude runs a 15.3-15.5

But with a $500 65 shot of zex nitrous and bolt ons a prelude can break into the high 13's...I've seen it.

CLIFF NOTES:
    The jist of this reply is that comparing a stock WRX to a stock prelude is beyond comparing apples to oranges. AWD/turbo and N/a/FWD are nothing alike...they both shine in certain types of driving, they both have a purpose and are fun cars.

2.3l!!! the only honda thats a " SI " is a Civic and thats a B16 wich is a 1.6 litter DOHC Vtec , there was the 2.3 none vtec prelude 2.2 none vtec prelude , the 2.2 vtec making 190 hp and the new ones are 2.2 making 200 hp but the Si that u reffer to that makes 165 hp is the B16 1.6 litter, hondas Bseries rating are pretty simple, B16 = 1.6 liter, B18 = 1.8 liter, then theres the H series wich is H22 = 2.2 liter and the H23 = well.. im sure u can figure it out, both the H and the B series are all Dual over head cam motors... lol i used to be a honda driver, other series are J , K , etc etc

Just to let you know There is a CRX SI, prelude SI, and the 92-95 civic SI, and the new 03 Si.
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)

o yeah family guy i forget good correction, smokey i know its all in good fun man, no hard feelings but, ill still spank u, low, mid, top any where, even in the dirt !

BTW that was a good come back though hehe

o yeah family guy i forget good correction, smokey i know its all in good fun man, no hard feelings but, ill still spank u, low, mid, top any where, even in the dirt !

BTW that was a good come back though hehe
    Aren't you basically stock? I don't know about any spanking going on around here

But still, I love the Rex. What's it like coming from a Honda die-hard owner like yourself? I have never driven a car with torque - ****, my friends POS cars with 200lbs. of torque feels massive to me

When I get rid of the RSX-S, you can bet your ass I'll take a long, hard look at either a WRX or if the funds allow, an STI. I could very easily be swayed to the "dark side"

also owned a lude

I'm another WRX owner that have owned a 5th gen prelude. Without a doubt the lude felt more stable at higher speeds and it also felt more poised when it came to the twisty roads.

Without going into too much depth, here is how I rate the cars.

lude
    tranny
    fit & finish
    exterior styling
    handling
    poor mod potential (even if you go FI, you will have to rebuild the engine...trust me I know)

WRX engine
    interior space
    cargo space
    excellent mod potential

Since I gave the 5th gen to my brother, I still get to drive it once in a while but it is not worth us racing since his is an i/h/e with a few extras while I have a 20G powered WRX. Regardless, I firmly believe stock vs stock the WRX will pull on the prelude in any gear except for 5th.
    Lastly, I personally put FI cars in a different category than NA cars of similar displacement. FI gives us volumes of power potential that cannot be easily matched in an NA application.
    Last edited by All8up; 08-19-2003 at 04:13 PM.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Re: also owned a lude

Originally posted by All8up
    I'm another WRX owner that have owned a 5th gen prelude. Without a doubt the lude felt more stable at higher speeds and it also felt more poised when it came to the twisty roads.

All8up, I hear you. I miss my Ludes EVERY DAY.....but the I jump into my scooby...and the pain basically goes away
    =STomp
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Originally posted by smokey
    Aren't you basically stock? I don't know about any spanking going on around here

But still, I love the Rex. What's it like coming from a Honda die-hard owner like yourself? I have never driven a car with torque - ****, my friends POS cars with 200lbs. of torque feels massive to me

When I get rid of the RSX-S, you can bet your ass I'll take a long, hard look at either a WRX or if the funds allow, an STI. I could very easily be swayed to the "dark side"
    This man knows what's up Glad to see such unbiased truthful views expressed here. This is what sets we who own higher end imports appart from the ricers.... Lack of bashing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast