WRX vs GTP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs GTP within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Before I start, I had 3 people in the car besides me (400lb total probably not including me) and I'm ...

gfx

WRX vs GTP

Before I start, I had 3 people in the car besides me (400lb total probably not including me) and I'm stock.

Yeah, so tonight, me and a few friends went up to Quaker Steak & Lube up in Robinson near Pittsburgh. It's a pretty famous and popular place to get wings here in Pittsburgh, and rightly so, many many cars are there. There's always the select few ricers who are there looking for cars, and then theres always the fast ones. Well, tonight, after leaving.. a few guys actually followed me out from Quaker Steak to the highway (hard to believe I guess, but it happened). It was an 80s mustang, a civic, sunfire, and then a Grand Prix GTP.. The GTP wasnt with the other 3.

Anyways, we all go out on the highway, and everyone immediatly starts going. The GTP was looking nice w/ 19" chrome spinners, and a mean, loud, deep exhaust. I see the guy has a radar detector so I knew I'd be safe racing him. Me and him totally left the other 3 in the dust, which was expected, but his car was FAST. I'd be flooring it, and he could pace me then floor it and haul ass out of there. Insane..

At one point, he brakes and comes even with me and goes "watch out for that cop up there man", and you see the cop pull someone over 10 seconds later. Cool guy. There's not much to say except that it was most definately a cool night since I never have much competition up here. His car totally hauled ass though, I talked to him later and he said he has a lot of aftermarket parts on his car bringing him to 280 or so WHP. He also had a 75shot of nitrous but he said he didnt use it. If he told me he used it, I'd believe him.. thats how fast he could pull away.

All in all it was pretty awesome except for the fact that I lost to him. The highway was pretty empty and we were doing 100+ all the way home. Yeah, pretty irresponsible, but it was so fun I couldn't stop. All my friends were yelling at me though

Just thought I'd share about this guys car, totally bad ass car. 100% gets my respect.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wasn't aware that the GTP has much of a choice when it comes to aftermarket. Was he spraying when he hauled ass past you?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

AWESOME avatar bro.

I Support ClubWRX
    The aftermarket for GTP's is pretty strong from what I've seen. I've heard of some mammoth GTP's.... They can be fast as you've seen!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

gfx
    Yeah this thing was definately fast. He said he wasn't using Nitrous when we raced. Either way, that thing made me think twice about "common cars" I encounter on the road. I was pretty sure I'd at least be able to keep even.

After he beat me, I just sort of chased him the rest of the way back.

AWESOME avatar bro.
    LOL thanks.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit

I'm sure the GTP was quick but why the spinners
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by WRXin'
    I wasn't aware that the GTP has much of a choice when it comes to aftermarket. Was he spraying when he hauled ass past you?

theres a decent aftermarket for them... my friends got one... all you need to do is drop a smaller pulley on that supercharger and your already hauling.... i wanna race my friend in his, but i have't had a chance, he's got headers/intake/exhaust/pulley/ some other stuff... ionno..... its pretty quick

There is a growing aftermarket....I actually still own a GP...it's for sale if anyone is interested . Currently the fastest GP(1997-2003 body style) is running ~10.5@123....of course he is running a Turbo instead of the Supercharger. But there are probably 30+ GPs running mid 11s with the stock blower, and full interior.

Most can be made to be decently fast..low 13s for under $2k.
    Stock or something close to it.....

Originally posted by MaK10
    theres a decent aftermarket for them... my friends got one... all you need to do is drop a smaller pulley on that supercharger and your already hauling.... i wanna race my friend in his, but i have't had a chance, he's got headers/intake/exhaust/pulley/ some other stuff... ionno..... its pretty quick
    Make sure to video tape it when you run him
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Yeah there is a very good aftermarket for the GTP, but it's still not quite as good as the Rex. Mods are very similiar since both use forced induction. I.E. Boost controller=smaller pulley.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

How does the new GTP comp G stand? They look pretty slick, sounds pretty good, the F1 like shifts are awesome. Anyone? Stats?

gfx
    The GTP is around 260 at the crank stock, 0-60 in the upper 6s I believe.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -

Originally posted by AsianWRX
    How does the new GTP comp G stand? They look pretty slick, sounds pretty good, the F1 like shifts are awesome. Anyone? Stats?

The comp G is a much better riding and handling car BUT it has been slower than the previous bodystyle GTP's. The extra 20 horses haven't shown up (maybe the engines need broker in). All the owners I have seen have said that the tapshift is really nice but they don't see a performance gain. But they have said that the tap will drop down a gear better than the auto. BTW they are running 15.0's-15.1's at best so far.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Originally posted by GTP_Gator
    The comp G is a much better riding and handling car BUT it has been slower than the previous bodystyle GTP's. The extra 20 horses haven't shown up (maybe the engines need broker in). All the owners I have seen have said that the tapshift is really nice but they don't see a performance gain. But they have said that the tap will drop down a gear better than the auto. BTW they are running 15.0's-15.1's at best so far.
    Thanks for the info. I've just been seeing a lot of the comp G commerical lately. Bragging about all the cars it beat in performance like the Altima 3.5, I was like wtf? that thing must haul!

Nevertheless, I still think its a pretty sweet ride. It might've gotten fatter to explain the lack of speed...

The comp G is a much better riding and handling car BUT it has been slower than the previous bodystyle GTP's. The extra 20 horses haven't shown up (maybe the engines need broker in)
    The extra power is definatley there, the problem is the car has gained almost 300lbs since the previous gen. The GTPs Comp G weigh almost 3900 lbs.
    Stock or something close to it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast