Stage IV Vs. Buick Muscle car

This is a discussion on Stage IV Vs. Buick Muscle car within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was chilling with some friends at our spot and we walk up to this guy with an old buick ...

Stage IV Vs. Buick Muscle car

I was chilling with some friends at our spot and we walk up to this guy with an old buick muscle car. He tells me its all show and if i was to race. Im apprehensive because i dont race much but i agreed anyway. I asked him what motor he was running and he told me a 350. I didnt believe him, the engine bay was huge, there was a giant hood scoop on it (larger than the sti's), and it had slicks. I race him anyway because it is different than your run of the mill honduh. So we line up, I get a great launch, spin all the tires (they are kinda warn, but it was nice to spin them) and take off, only pulling like half a car length, which he makes up in second gear. He then pulls about half a car on me in third and another half a car in forth til we shut down. I was running peak mpa of .13, or about 18psi. This was my first loss as a stage 4. I dont know much about domestic engines, so i have no idea how much horsepower a 350 would put down. All and all i was pretty happy with my run, he was a nice guy. I lost a quarter on the race.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you ran against a fellow turbo'd car! The Grand Nationals had a turbo but they were a 6 cylinder. They also could be made to run low 12's-11's without any problems.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Got stung by a member of the GN cult. 600whp no problemo for those cars. More possible with a little finesse and some more $$.

Grand Nationals are awesome cars. Wouldn't want one, but I admire them from afar

If it really was a 350, I don't think it was a Grand National. Grand Nationals had a 231 V6 Turbo Charged motor in them.

The 350 is a pretty popular GM motor, it can be found in a lot of cars. Buick did make a GS350, which was a pretty cool muscle car.
    Did the car you raced look like this?

Here
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Was the Buick crazy loud, like V8 loud, or marginally quiet with a whine sound? Modded GNs are loud as hell cause the turbo makes a really really really high pitched sound. Good run nonetheless.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

If it was charcoal gray or all black and looked mid-80s, it was either a turbo Regal or a GN. There is no way a 350 is going to pull on a properly tuned Stage IV. You, my friend, got duped.

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

Originally posted by Jimbo
    If it was charcoal gray or all black and looked mid-80s, it was either a turbo Regal or a GN. There is no way a 350 is going to pull on a properly tuned Stage IV. You, my friend, got duped.

Jimbo
    Um, it depends on the work done to the 350, and the weight of the vehicle it is in. My 346 does fairly well, for example. Even old school small block Chevy motors can make some big power. Of course, if you are suggeting that they guy might have been running a 400+ cube motor to beat him like that, it's very possible as well.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Grand Nationals are bada$$ fierce looking cars...wouldn't own one but I definitely give respect.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

You have to understand that the term 350 just means the cubic inches of a small block chevy. I will list some notable small block chevy's and what they can run.
    350 chevy- actually 358 in NASCAR. The same basic block design. SB2.2 heads. Well over 750 horsepower through a single carb and a flat tapet camshaft. A FLAT TAPPET CAM!
    358 chevy- pro stock truck. Around the 900 horsepower range. Have run in the 7.30's in the quarter at over 185mph in a pick up truck. No nitrous, no blower, no turbo. Just all motor power.
    If you have the time, come over to my house and I will show you two 350 chevys. One will make 500 horsepower on pump gas and the other will make 250 on the same gas. You will not be able to tell the difference.
    350's have been around for so dang long there are too many aftermarket parts that make great power. And to try to look at the outside to determine what is inside is very difficult.
    It looks like you got beat by someone who knows. That is rare. It is usually the ones who talk huge that have nothing in their 350 that we end up seeing on the road.

Wannabe,

From the sounds of the race it would have needed one of those NASCAR specials to beat him the way it did. There seems to be a lot more GNs around than there are mid-80s Regals running NASCAR motors on the street. I don't doubt it had a worked 350 of some kind, but if I was a betting man my money would be on it being a GN or Regal Turbo.

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

That is a very good possibility. But those Grand Nationals are not exactly "Big old Buicks." They also make enourmous turbo whine. You would think he would have mentioned that.
    That and the fact, it was not at a track with times, the driver and launch are in question. A car length is not that much, depending on the times etc. He also stated that he was not an experienced racer- so I was in doubt there too.
    I have bullets in the garage that only make 500 that will run 11's in a heavy lead sled.
    But you could very well be right.

Last edited by capt'n'caveman; 08-11-2003 at 07:40 PM.
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by silverscooby
    If it really was a 350, I don't think it was a Grand National. Grand Nationals had a 231 V6 Turbo Charged motor in them.

The 350 is a pretty popular GM motor, it can be found in a lot of cars. Buick did make a GS350, which was a pretty cool muscle car.
    Did the car you raced look like this?

Here
    don't be so sure. theres a GN 350 TT in my area...makes R1's look like hondas ;x