Mustang GT just got schooled

This is a discussion on Mustang GT just got schooled within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Out in the STi returning rented videos. Traffic was too bad to turn left to go home so I turned ...

Mustang GT just got schooled

Out in the STi returning rented videos. Traffic was too bad to turn left to go home so I turned right to make a big loop. Along that loop, some kid in a Mazda kept trying to take off fast, so I dusted him but he flew by since he was willing to speed more. Then his brother came up behind me in a Mustang GT (not sure year model...newish, had "GT 4.6L" on the side and slight modification - he told me so), didn't slow down and revved as he went by, then took off. I thought this might be my opportunity, FINALLY...and as it happens, the route they were taking was the exact same as mine.

To get my house, one must cross one of two bridges here. We crossed the long, WIDE one. Unfortunately, I didn't get to catch the GT at the light at the start of the bridge. I also got spooked by cars on a hill (thought they were cops)...so I fell a bit behind right when we got on the bridge. Once I figured out that the cars weren't cops, I floored it in 5th, starting from about 60 mph. About the time I caught them, I had topped out 5th so had to go into 6th. I think I hit an obnoxiously high speed but didn't check the speedo. Needless to say, I caught them rather quickly.

At the end of the bridge is a series of hard curves, all almost 90 degrees. I slowed down, put it in 3rd and blew by the two other cars like they weren't moving. After the curves, there's another long, straight road to a light. They stayed behind me a while, but kept creeping closer (doing speed limit at the time), so I shifted back down to 5th gear. About 3/5 of the way down the road, the Mustang got up beside me, revved and took off. He got his front bumper in front of me before I got into 4th gear. I floored it in 4th and then his lead ceased opening, then started getting smaller until I simply flew by him. Cool thing is it seemed almost effortless for the STi.

They got behind me at the light and we turned left. I went slow on that road and I talked to them for a second. They asked if it was supercharged, so I told them turbo. They asked what I had done to it and they looked like they crapped their pants when I said it came that way from the factory. They told me the Mustang was pushing about 300 hp too. I finally found someone who didn't know what an STi was.

When I had to turn off to go home and they went straight, I gave them a thumbs up and waved. They waved back. Cool guys. Wouldn't mind meeting them again sometime.

A WRX may not have top end, but it sure seems an STi does.

RN
    Last edited by renichms; 08-09-2003 at 05:49 PM.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like fun, but at 60mph you should have dropped it to 3rd. THAT would wake them up.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    Sounds like fun, but at 60mph you should have dropped it to 3rd. THAT would wake them up.
    I know...but I'm still not quite used to the shorter gears. With a 5-speed I would know EXACTLY where to go...I haven't been able to run this car to find what speed at what RPM in what gear. Once I have that down, it won't even be close...unless they do a bit more to their car.

RN

They probably never heard of subaru and thought you were a ricer

Good Kill

Originally posted by TurnWRX
    They probably never heard of subaru and thought you were a ricer

Good Kill
    Thanks. Lots of people probably think it's rice...

RN

Re: Mustang GT just got schooled

Originally posted by renichms
    I finally found someone who didn't know what an STi was.

RN
    lol, I just ran into yellow late 90's 4.6GT with atleast exhaust, he had his girl with him, I hit a mild launch pretty good and put about 3-4 cars on him up until about 70-80. I was very surprised i beat him so bad. He pulls up to me at the next light and was like "is that a 1.8?" "no, its a 2.0" "you got a big turbo?" "no its the stock turbo" Then comes the domestic approval. "hmmm, not bad" he said . anyways, sorry to semi-hijack. I just thought it was funny I raced the same car and he seemed to have no clue what my car was.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    the first gen (96-98) GTs ran high 14s-mid 15s stock! They were not very fast at all. I had a 97 and it was a DOG...torquey, but not fast. Good kill. Even if you run into a newer GT, you should not have a problem if its close to stock.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    the first gen (96-98) GTs ran high 14s-mid 15s stock! They were not very fast at all. I had a 97 and it was a DOG...torquey, but not fast. Good kill. Even if you run into a newer GT, you should not have a problem if its close to stock.
    Thanks. They said their GT was about 300 hp but I'm not so sure that I could take them so easily up top if that was the case... What do you think?

RN

Thanks. They said their GT was about 300 hp but I'm not so sure that I could take them so easily up top if that was the case... What do you think?

RN
    300 without a blower or nitrous is almost unattainable in the 96-98 GTs. He would have had to have MAJOR motor work...like heads, intake, cams, full exhaust, intake, and a GREAT tune to reach 300 na. Sounds like the guy was full of it!
    2003 SRT-4

300 without a blower or nitrous is almost unattainable in the 96-98 GTs. He would have had to have MAJOR motor work...like heads, intake, cams, full exhaust, intake, and a GREAT tune to reach 300 na. Sounds like the guy was full of it!
    That's what I thought. LOUD rumble to it, so he might have had cams and I know he had exhaust. As far as FI, I don't think he had anything of the sort...so he probably was a bit full of it.

RN

That's what I thought. LOUD rumble to it, so he might have had cams and I know he had exhaust. As far as FI, I don't think he had anything of the sort...so he probably was a bit full of it.

RN
    well, offroad Hpipe ($100) and some 2 chamber flows (200) will make any stock 4.6 loud as hell, and *sound* very intimidating. Most mustangs are all bark and little bite.
    2003 SRT-4

well, offroad Hpipe ($100) and some 2 chamber flows (200) will make any stock 4.6 loud as hell, and *sound* very intimidating. Most mustangs are all bark and little bite.
    Dang...that deflates my ego some. Oh well...it was fun! Most people are asses about it or won't even look at me.

RN

Nice kill man!

I love when people have no idea what our cars are. It's all the more fun when you see their face when you fly by them.

I had a guy ask me if my "kia" was fast at the track one day. I told him that it ran mid 12's (this was a couple months ago) and he goes He asked what I had done.... I replied "I swapped in a WRX motor and AWD."
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125