WRX Vs. Lambo Countach - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. Lambo Countach within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I found this just to give an idea of the Countach performance #'s Model Magazine Year 0-60mph 0-100mph 1/4 mile ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I found this just to give an idea of the Countach performance #'s

Model Magazine Year 0-60mph 0-100mph 1/4 mile Top speed
    LP500S Car and Driver 1983 5.4 sec 12.1 sec 13.5 sec
    LP500S Motor 1984 4.8 sec 11.3 sec 13.2 sec 155 mph
    5000QV Autocar 1985 4.9 sec 10.6 sec 13.0 sec 178 mph
    5000QV (with wing) * Car and driver 1986 5.1 sec 11.0 sec 13.3 sec 166 mph
    5000QV (US) ** Road & Track 1986 5.2 sec 12.0 sec 13.7 sec 173 mph**
    5000QV Fast Lane 1986 4.2 sec 10.0 sec 12.5 sec 190 mph

I found somewhere else that quoted the 1986 Countach 5000S as doing the 1/4 in 13.8@105mph. By modern standards, the above are not supercar numbers and I don't find it outrageous that a WRX could hang. I'm sure the smoke billowing out the exhaust wasn't hurting the wrx's chances either
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by MidKnight
    I found somewhere else that quoted the 1986 Countach 5000S as doing the 1/4 in 13.8@105mph. By modern standards, the above are not supercar numbers and I don't find it outrageous that a WRX could hang.
    Just a question, though: What do you think the stock WRX's quarter mile time would be if you took AWD out of the picture? I'd also be curious to know the 60-100 times for a WRX and a Countach. That gets into territory where a torquey V12 is gonna shine. I suspect that the guy with the old smoking exoticar didn't want to push things too much.

I'm talking stock for stock, too. A stage 4 WRX is a whole different matter.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Just a question, though: What do you think the stock WRX's quarter mile time would be if you took AWD out of the picture? I'd also be curious to know the 60-100 times for a WRX and a Countach. That gets into territory where a torquey V12 is gonna shine. I suspect that the guy with the old smoking exoticar didn't want to push things too much.
    Just so you have an idea of what I'm saying, I looked on Edmunds.com and the 2001 Camaro z28 posted a quarter mile time of 13.8@105.4mph. The same time and trap speed tell me that these cars are very similar in power. Ask anyone in a wrx that is even slightly modified (boost controller?) and they can hang with a camaro pretty nicely (from a roll it is tough, no doubt about that). The point I'm making is that people are hailing the mighty lambo when in reality, this particular Lambo is no Murcielago... Also, I'll say it again... the smoke from the exhaust was probably a sign of a fairly poorly maintained car, so it's not outrageous that a wrx could hang.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    camaro pretty nicely (from a roll it is tough, no doubt about that).
    ^^^
    This was my point.

I hear where you're coming from, though. Of course the Countach isn't a supercar by modern standards; that's a given.

But some iterations of it were pretty darned quick. The 1986 5000QV could do 0-100 mph in 10.0 seconds, according to the magazines. Road and Track tested the stock 2002 WRX, and got a 0-100 of about 16 seconds. If I, in my stock WRX, come across a guy in a Countach 5000QV on the highway, and try to do a 55-100 run with him, I think he's going to eat me for dinner. Just a hunch...
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 08-12-2003 at 10:31 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    [BIf I, in my stock WRX, come across a guy in a Countach 5000QV on the highway, and try to do a 55-100 run with him, I think he's going to eat me for dinner. Just a hunch... [/B]
    He won't eat you for dinner... Appetizer
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

Don't forget about the power to weight ratio, do we know how many gold medalions the Lambo driver had on?
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

J-H
    I found this just to give an idea of the Countach performance #'s

Model Magazine Year 0-60mph 0-100mph 1/4 mile Top speed
    LP500S Car and Driver 1983 5.4 sec 12.1 sec 13.5 sec
    LP500S Motor 1984 4.8 sec 11.3 sec 13.2 sec 155 mph
    5000QV Autocar 1985 4.9 sec 10.6 sec 13.0 sec 178 mph
    5000QV (with wing) * Car and driver 1986 5.1 sec 11.0 sec 13.3 sec 166 mph
    5000QV (US) ** Road & Track 1986 5.2 sec 12.0 sec 13.7 sec 173 mph**
    5000QV Fast Lane 1986 4.2 sec 10.0 sec 12.5 sec 190 mph

I found somewhere else that quoted the 1986 Countach 5000S as doing the 1/4 in 13.8@105mph. By modern standards, the above are not supercar numbers and I don't find it outrageous that a WRX could hang. I'm sure the smoke billowing out the exhaust wasn't hurting the wrx's chances either
    OMG, that 5000QV is fast

Thanks for the stats MidKnight. The Lambo did have a huge wing. And as you mentioned, the car was not in perfect running condition (smoke)...

It was crazy though...everyone on the freeway was trying to get next to this car and check it out...it was hard to brush all these people off...One other thing, he had his hand sticking out of the window after our runs...those windows are soooo small, I think it was getting all hot inside....hehehehe...smokey

JH

Have any of you thought of the possiblity that this was a REPLICA lambo?? replicas are probably more popular then an actual lamborghini.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by billy brown 66
    Have any of you thought of the possiblity that this was a REPLICA lambo?? replicas are probably more popular then an actual lamborghini.
    Entirely possible, though CONVINCING replicas aren't that common. Most I've seen are based on the Fiero chassis, and the proportions don't seem quite right. Also, the exhaust note is usually a giveaway. If it sounds like a Chevy V8 or a Fiero engine, well...

I guess I'm guilty of assuming this was a real one based on the original poster's account.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

J-H
    Now you guys got me. I don't know what a fake Lambo looks like. Especially the 25+ year-old ones. When I was in town riding in front, next and behind I was able take a good look at the car. Comparing it to the photos that were on the link I posted earlier, I ASSUME it was a real one. Looking back, I think that it would be very difficult to make a replica of that thing...The engine was exposed, everything looked just fine, the foglights were there (ugly, ugly, ugly), model name, Lambo's logo, dashboard, wing, air scoops...But then again, I am not an expert...

JH

A good giveaway of a cheap/mediocre kit car is that it keeps the factory dash/center stack and door cards.

A great way to tell kit cars (those that use the existing unibody as opposed to those that go on a rolling chassis) is to look at the door and window frames.

I saw an F40 replica based on a Fiero a few weeks ago in Alexandria.

At first I was then I was followed quickly by then finally
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Just a guess, if it was a Fiero: I suspect that one that's blowing smoke and lugging big fat rear tires would have been toast up to 110 mph.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

kit cars are looking more and more like the cars they are biting off nowadays...

if the engine was smoking... it could have been an american v8 kit (sbc 350) and judging by the pictures you posted - the style is one of the most popular kit cars in existance.. just my 2 cents

the thing is - i have ****ed with all kinds of supercars (m3's, m5's, 996's, and even a 355 modena) - most people with cars like this RACE when offered the challenge.. of course i got smoked by everything on the freeway but im still stock.. stage 2 - here i come!
    2002 WRX:sold...2004 sti:sold...1998 2.0rs:sold...2009 WRX:tuned

What's up w/ all this blowing smoke s***?!?

Of course it is going to have all kinds of crap coming out of it's rear end, it has 0 cats and is CARBUERATED!

My friend's dad's friend (yeah, that's right) has a countach and he has it in perfect condition and it still puts a pretty good amount of smoke out the rear end... he also has an E30 M3 w/ only 40k miles on it w/ no cats and it too blows smoke and carbon all over the place!

Point: just b/c it blows smoke doesn't mean it is not in good runnig condition.
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

J-H
    Alright, I never thought of a FAKE Lambo. The point that was made that it could be a fake one is indeed valid. Now I am contemplating about the idea of a kitted car. The sound of the car did not sound like a V12 at ALL. But then again, Ferrari' V8 don't sound anything like a Mustang or a SC Benz. I dunno...guess I'll have to ask him next time I see it (it can be a while!!!).

Thanks for all the input though....

JH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast