'03 Mustang Mach 1 vs. '02 WRX Sedan (stock)

This is a discussion on '03 Mustang Mach 1 vs. '02 WRX Sedan (stock) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yes boys, tis true, I wasn't even looking for a fight this morning on my way to work and I ...

'03 Mustang Mach 1 vs. '02 WRX Sedan (stock)

Yes boys, tis true, I wasn't even looking for a fight this morning on my way to work and I got one dropped in my lap.

Was just about 1 mile from work, (a 2 lane each way road which is as straight as an arrow) and happened to line up next to a Mustang Mach 1 (at the time thought it was just a Mustang GT with a different aftermarket hood and paint stripe) at a stop light. I was actually looking the opposite way at this light, at some new display they had on one of the billboards. (I mean, hey I was going to work, no desire to smoke someone this early in the morning, right?)

The stoplight turns green, the road ahead was clear, and the Mustang (with some Air Force guy inside) takes off like a bat out of ****. I assume he wanted to race, but I was very very unprepared. Nonetheless, I still punched it with a bit of engine bogging because I wasn't ready to take off. Before I knew what was happening, he had 2 car lengths on me, but I stayed just even at 2 car lengths with him through all the gears till 4th. When I looked down, I was doing 100!! Holy Crap!

I was very happy that I at least stayed with him in all the gears even with my bad start. I never even meant to race either! (Heck, I was just going to work)! Oh well, next time I see this guy, he's getting his money's worth.

So yep, I got beat, but considering the circumstances, I'll take him with a good launch next time.

EDIT: So then I look up this mustang (cause the Mach 1 looks a bit different than the regular Mustang GT) and find that it runs a 14.0 flat in the 1/4 mile with 305 hp stock. I'm thinking to myself that I'm proud of stickin' it to him cause I am still stock! Next time I'll know better (and will have some exhaust mods done)

Here is the Mustang Lineup for 2003:
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/Cars/mus...eatures/specs/

Any other experiences with these new Mustangs?
    Last edited by tubbytreats; 08-08-2003 at 08:21 AM.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You did well. If I'm correct, that engine is the previous gen cobra engine.

Thumbs up

2003 Mach 1's run low 13s at 105 at best. Since you blew your launch, he should have put more than 2 cars on you and kept pulling. Even if you would have got a good launch, he would have blown right past you around the 50mph mark. That's the beauty of street racing though, anything can happen. Nice race and continue to have fun .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Nice job. A well driven WRX (even with a avg. launch) can keep up with a Mach 1 considering that he doeesn't know his car that well.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying that you raced a bad driver. What I'm saying is that you drove it well to keep up with a nice stang.

I think it was one of those times when the Mustang wanted to at least show some speed, but was unsure of whether I was racing and didn't want to blow off the line looking like a retard. But when he saw me staying even, I'm sure he was pushing his car hard to stay in front.

I'm sure both of us would have had better launches if we actually knew a race was eminent. Either way, I know I did as well as possible considering the circumstances. I also learned that the Mach 1's even existed!!! (Didn't know about them till this morning)

I got educated and prepared for next time. (I also read they are only making 6,500 of them at the Dearborn, MI plant) A little getting beat can really educate a guy!

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

It would be interesting to see how both of you would have done if it was obvious that you guys were gonna race (before the light turned from a dead stop). I wonder if it was a 5-speed or an automatic. The 2003 Mach 1 was the first 4V 4.6 motored car to have an auto as an option (they were never available on the '96-'99 and '01 Cobras). I read a magazine test that had a quick comparo of the two and the manual trans was about .5 second quicker in the quarter than the auto tranny. Either way, nice job!
    '05 Subaru WRX STi

'96 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
    one of 254 made in Bright Tangerine

'03 Suzuki SV1000N

a lot of times when i am racing, or toying around, i don't necessaily widen the gap or push the car harder than i have to, to stay ahead. Especially if i think i am a lot faster than them. A close race is more fun than blowing them away. my $0.02.

Anything is possible because I had also heard those Bullits are suppose to be real fast (low to mid 13s stock), but I raced one in my Stage 4 WRX and made it look real slow. So its not totally out of line for a stock WRX to hang close to one. At least the one I raced.
    But hay I've raced C5 vettes that were actually pretty slow.

the bullits are nothing compared to the Mach 1.... they are hardly faster than stock gt's maybe a few tenths
    03 Cobra Satin Silver
    kenne bell sc

Originally posted by |T3|
    the bullits are nothing compared to the Mach 1.... they are hardly faster than stock gt's maybe a few tenths
    and then, you have the grand daddy of them all.... the 03 Cobra
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    i have friends who run 12.9s in bone stock mach ones on DR's. That guy wasnt racing all out or he was a terrible driver. Either way, im sure you put a scare into him!
    2003 SRT-4

Registered User Weeeeeeeeeeeeee's Avatar
    uh no offense but if he knew how to drive he would have dusted you even if you launched.

none taken.

After reading a bit more up on Mach 1's I'm pretty sure he wasn't pushing his car to it's full potential. Still, I could stay with him to 80 I'm sure. Past that, I'd get left in the dust.

Another day, another race, with more mods...

2002 WRX Mods:

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    i have friends who run 12.9s in bone stock mach ones on DR's. That guy wasnt racing all out or he was a terrible driver. Either way, im sure you put a scare into him!
    last time i checked drag radials werent factory options....

I Support ClubWRX
    I was at the local car wash last week and a guy in a new Mach 1 was there. Some computer geek with his shirt tucked in and dress shoes. They parked my car right next to his, and he said, "I smoked a WRX last week." I said "WOW "

He started by talking about how he smoked at Z28 on the way to the car wash. Then he asked me what I pulled in the 1/4 mile. I said my best was a 13.6. He looked suprised. Then I told him that my new turbo and injectors are going in(ALA Stage 4).

Then he did the dorkiest thing ever. He said,"Let me see your face again. I better make sure I am careful when I line up against you on the street "

I asked him why he didn't buy the '03 Cobra. His repsonse was, they don't make Mach1's every year like Cobras

God do I hate RUSTANGS. I really need to get my Stage 4 installed and tuned. Then its taking out V8's TIME!!!