Audi A6
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Audi A6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So my dad is inspired to get a more exciting car than his Volvo after driving my rex. GOod choice, ...

Audi A6

So my dad is inspired to get a more exciting car than his Volvo after driving my rex. GOod choice, dads. So anyhow, he's pretty set on the A6, and he's having a hard time deciding between the regularly aspirated 4.2 L and the turbo 2.7

Anyone know enough to comment on the pluses/minuses of either or...have you heard any horrible stuff about the car that should dissuade him?

The 4.2 costs about 8K more, so that's an issue. But if it's a lot better, he'll go for it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The 2.7T engine is found in the older S4. Supposedly, it handles better than the heavier 4.2. You might want to swing by some audi forums (www.audiworld.com) and check out what people have said.

Re: Audi A6

Originally posted by dsel
    So my dad is inspired to get a more exciting car than his Volvo after driving my rex. GOod choice, dads. So anyhow, he's pretty set on the A6, and he's having a hard time deciding between the regularly aspirated 4.2 L and the turbo 2.7

Anyone know enough to comment on the pluses/minuses of either or...have you heard any horrible stuff about the car that should dissuade him?

The 4.2 costs about 8K more, so that's an issue. But if it's a lot better, he'll go for it.
    i would point him to www.mbworld.org and tell him to get a new E-class, maybe a 500, you can get great deals on em, they are awesome, a better ride than a A6, and much more features!
    2004 WR Blue WRX Auto with CBE.

Ike
    Well the 2.7T has several models listed as some of the worst used cars to buy, but I would imagine Audi took care of that. My brother has the 4.2 and it's a great V8 nice highway cruiser, and in general the 4.2s have better looks on the exterior. However performance wise they're about the same, and the price difference is usually closer to 10k. For 55k it's just not a car I would choose, nor the 2.7T for 45k. M3, S4, C32 AMG all come to mind in that same price point but are smaller cars.

Ike

I Support ClubWRX
    If he likes the way your Rex feels, and doesn't mind something a little smaller and less luxurious (barely!) than the A6, I'd point him toward the S4. It will blow the doors off any A6 and pretty much most cars out there. If he insists on the A6, I'd go 2.7TT all the way. Of course, the C32 AMG is pretty amazing, as well.

Too bad the S4 doesn't have the V6TT anymore! I like that motor, and I'm of course partial to AWD turbo vehicles. Oh well...
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by Integra96
    If he likes the way your Rex feels, and doesn't mind something a little smaller and less luxurious (barely!) than the A6, I'd point him toward the S4. It will blow the doors off any A6 and pretty much most cars out there. If he insists on the A6, I'd go 2.7TT all the way. Of course, the C32 AMG is pretty amazing, as well.

Too bad the S4 doesn't have the V6TT anymore! I like that motor, and I'm of course partial to AWD turbo vehicles. Oh well...
    I'm all over the C32 - some nerdy German engineer autographs the engine. What's better than that? But the dad is worried about the reliability issue. Mercedes has really hit rock bottom on repairs/reliability surveys. Buick now blows them away. Audi apparently has taken care of a lot of that.

Is there a difference in exterior styling between A6s with the different engines? I didn't notice. He also drove the A8 which was a huge tank, though an aluminum one. If I had 84K and a driver, I'd sit in the back of that apartment sized luxo mobile and play Madden all day.

About the reliability thing for german cars...

If your GM rattles, its fine.
    If your Benz rattles, it goes straight to the dealer.

Mercedes have a "Low washer fluid" light, which causes some old people to think there's a problem with the car when it turns out. "Check Engine" comes on when you don't screw the gas cap on tightly.

The reliability rating comes from a combination of German-car-stigma, and ignorance, although I'm sure that a fair share of the newer Mercedes have had minor electrical problems. But I like to think about it this way:
    Even though a GM and a Benz might visit the dealer twice in a month for an electrical problem, the Benz still feels better, drives better, sounds better, and their dealers are probably a lot more friendly.

---

As for the different A6s, the differences between the 3.0, 2.7T and the 4.2 are very subtle. The 4.2 has a different front grille, rims, and a chrome lining around the lower center grille on the front bumper. I think the 2.7T has dual exhaust instead of the 3.0, except on the earlier models.

How about the RS6? 450 HP!!! J/K That thing is too $$bank$$

'99.5 Silver Audi A4 1.8T Tip
    '03 Black WRX Wagon 5 spd

Cool

I'd go with the 2.7T. Ya can't beat having a turbo from the factory. Not to mention, the upgrades are awesome! With just a chip it goes from 250hp/258lb-ft to 307hp/366lb-ft. Yum yum yum.... Not bad for $600.00.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.