Ford Lightning!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ford Lightning! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I thought they were faster then us but this morning on the way back from the airport I pulled up ...

Ford Lightning!

I thought they were faster then us but this morning on the way back from the airport I pulled up next to one doing 90mph and took off for a few seconds to see if this guy would race. I had a car in front of me so I slowed and then he changed lanes behind me and took off and I followed as soon as he passed me and I easily caught up to him at 110mph. There was too much traffic on the bridge and too many cops so after I caught up to him I slowed down. I thought we sucked on our top end but I thought a big V8 would walk from me. Anyone else race a Lightning?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

is anything done to your car?

i wanna race a lightning!
    free food is the best food

I am stock except for a TurboXS bov-H.

Ford Lighting

ummm the ford lightening should whip our butts stock. v8 supercharger... i don't think he was racing, he might have just been trying to beat traffic and not you.

---RaCinWRX

I'd have to agree those things are alot faster stock vs stock then a WRX is. Either he wasn't actually racing you or he was just screwing around to see what your car had and not actually pushing his ride very hard.

One of my friends has a Lightning, and we raced both from a stop and from a roll. From a stop, I had him off the line thanks to awd, but by the time I was making the 2-3 shift, I could see him at my door, then he eased by me and started to walk. Once he gets that thing rolling and into positive pressure, he's gone. So, if you're gonna race one from a stop, go from 0-60 and quit.
    We also went from a 20mph and a 60mph roll, and I had no chance whatsoever. From the 20 roll, he freaking went sideways and I still had no chance at all. But it was neat to watch. If you're gonna race one from a roll, forget it.
    My buddy Mark raced him in his Cobra, and got his ass handed to him as well.
    I've ridden in that truck a lot, and it's scary fast and has gobs of torque. It's too fast to be a truck, and seems sort of dangerous in that platform. But I guess that's not the point here, eh?
    For what it's worth, the only mods the Lightning has are an intake and flowmasters. I'm running TXS stg.1 and an uppipe, and the Cobra is bone stock.
    Anyway, I've gone toe-to-toe with one Lightning, and that's enough for me until I get more mods. I'd challenge him with my motorcycle, but that **** has a Hayabusa in his garage too. Oh well, hopefully I'll live longer with my slower toys, hehe.
    02 WRX TXS stg.1
    93 MX6 75 shot n2o
    00 Ducati M900

I am pretty sure he was racing because he kept going past 120 and was weaving in and out of traffic with me. Maybe his weight and aerodynamics and gearing slowed him down.

Lightnings are fast. I doubt even if he weighed 300 pounds the wrx is not a problem. From what I have read, they have major top end also.

according to C&D the 2001 lightning does the quarter in 13.8 and the 1999 does it in 14.4. They have a stock WRX doing it in 14.1. So to say the lightning would spank the WRX is IMHO going a bit far.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

They aren't talking about a standing start but a rather a rolling start where the V8 and RWD would shine.

interesting link with numbers..SVT
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

Spank.. no.. beat... yes.. a STOCK wrx.

Ive seen the Lightning run 13.3 at the track with NO MODS. I even took a pic of his truck if any one needs the proof

Dont underestimate those puppys!

V-8

He was playing with you or just not interested. There is no replacement for displacement. Why do some people think because you pull a couple of silly manuvers in traffic on the highway that these little Subies on steriods are faster than Vettes, stangs, F-bodies and other seriously fast cars? See way to many of these posts. Personally I think the guy did not want to waste gas on you or risk wreckin in a street race with high speed sewing machine that he could eat up and spit out fer lunch.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

I have to agree with the general concensus - he wasn't actually racing. Playing maybe. He'd have torn you a new one if he was racing. I forget what kinda HP/TQ they're running, but it's a shyte-load. Those things run with new vettes and vipers, so....
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I think the torque ranges in the high 300s low 400s.. I think high 300's to be honest.

"Gobs" of torque to waste alot of cars.. ESPECIALLY on the highway!!! May get one of the line... but i dont think you will on the highway.. unless you have Dans car!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast