Acura CL-S on the highway
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Acura CL-S on the highway within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Coming home from work today on 395, all of a sudden Xenons right on my rear bumper. I move over ...

Acura CL-S on the highway

Coming home from work today on 395, all of a sudden Xenons right on my rear bumper. I move over and some hot shot kid in a new acura CL S-type pulls by, as his door is at my front bumper he wails on it. He's got open lane in front of him, I have to let off slightly and move in behind him to pass a car, I drop to 4th then move back to the right and pull right by him. Put it in 5th, and i was roughly 2 or 3 cars in front of him, probably around 110 mph or so, i glanced down quickly as i got off the gas. I slowed down for my exit and as he passed, he was laughing and shaking his head. I gave a wave and we parted ways. Anyone know about what kind of power those things make? I expected a little more out of it on the highway.
    02 aspen white wrx

1/4 ET 13.9

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

260 flywheel...there pretty quick modded ive seen a super charged one....fast..

As a pervious owner of a 2001 CL-S, I will say the CL-S has strong 1-2-3 gear pull then after that it dies down, because of the tall ass gearing for 4th and 5th OD.. From a roll an auto CL-S can put a fight with a stock wrx. They are big but they can move. If it's a 6spd CL-S it's a diff story.. They are quick and they are the same performance stat with 6spd Maxima.

Now remember the engine of the CL-S really respond to basic bolt on, I/H/E it's an eye opener.. Also, they can be equipped with Comptech Supercharger auto or manual so better watch out with this kinda set up..

Specs Stock*
    260hp and 232lb trq
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

By far the largest complaint about our performance in the WRX is our weak top end. My roomate has a Acura CL (non type S) which makes only 225 hp. We've raced from a roll before going from 80-115 mph or so and he's actually kept up with me. I basically I can't pull on him after 3rd gear on the WRX.

Considering that you raced a Type S, I would THINK that a Type S would pull on WRX EASY....considering I couldn't even lose a non-type S. The only thing I think that may have contributed to your win are:
    1) Your car does have a cat-back exhaust, which is suposed to be a mod that greatly improves our top end.
    2) The guy was driving an Auto, not a 6-speed.

Again, I'm not saying your story isn't true, but I personally think our top end is crap. I've raced an Acura RSX Type S before and even he kept up with me pretty good after 80 mph! They only make 200 hp and barely any torque.

WOW those things have 260 hp???? Well it def was an auto, and looked and sounded totally stock.

Also, my car has a totally catless 3 inch turbo back exhaust, so i have decent top end power. Regardless, with that kind of power and at those speeds i would have expected more from the acura. Maybe he coul dhave given it mroe and was holding back?? I would just be suprised if a 19 year old kid, and a bright red acura would race wrx and NOT floor it. But who knows.
    02 aspen white wrx

1/4 ET 13.9

catless turbo back at 2.5 in diameter and no bell mouth DP wouldnt be as good as a DP with bell mouth design and 3" diameter all the way thru.
    it does give better performance. it would be even better if u add a mbc.

good run tho.

also those CL-S are very heavy and on a sad note acura will stop making them in 2005.
    2002 WRX silver
    -281HP/258TQ @ 16 psi

I had two runs from a light with a friend in his 2003 Accord, 260 hp 5 speed AT. I got two bad launches, but even still with my prodrive stage 2 I could only get his front bumper to my rear bumper (I guess thats one car length) up to a little over 60 mph. Cars are just getting quicker and quicker these days. And if you don't get a good launch, well, it doesn't make the car look good, but atleast I still won. I did have a small race from a roll, I was slowly walking away from him, the prodrive stage 2 really helps with that midrange power and 3rd and 4th feel much stronger. But from the line the stage 2 helps me get about 1 car length ahead.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Originally posted by swipe112
    Again, I'm not saying your story isn't true, but I personally think our top end is crap. I've raced an Acura RSX Type S before and even he kept up with me pretty good after 80 mph! They only make 200 hp and barely any torque. [/B]
    Yep, but with our cars, you have to give up some power somewhere (me down low, you up high). That's what happens to a $22k dollar car.

RSX's are good from a roll...and Hondata for us is equivalent to a MBC for you (though MBC's are "better", relatively speaking). And you'll never know if that guy has Hondata, unless he loves stickers
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by smokey
    Yep, but with our cars, you have to give up some power somewhere (me down low, you up high). That's what happens to a $22k dollar car.

RSX's are good from a roll...and Hondata for us is equivalent to a MBC for you (though MBC's are "better", relatively speaking). And you'll never know if that guy has Hondata, unless he loves stickers
    so with your mods, how quick are you? A friend of mine has a well modded auto 2000 GT, runs 13.6@100 and he couldnt shake an RSX type S with unknown mods from a roll...Ive never run into one on the streets, so I dont know what to expect (im sure i'd win, but Im curious how quick they can be with regular mods)
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    so with your mods, how quick are you? A friend of mine has a well modded auto 2000 GT, runs 13.6@100 and he couldnt shake an RSX type S with unknown mods from a roll...Ive never run into one on the streets, so I dont know what to expect (im sure i'd win, but Im curious how quick they can be with regular mods)
    I haven't been to the track yet, so I don't know what to say to you other than what others are running with my mods.

Basically, worst times with Hondata and Intake are mid 14s. Average are low 14s (14.4-14.0) and the best so far is a 13.9 with Hondata, tires and intake.

If a guy was able to stay with a 13.6 GT from a roll, I'm thinking he had the following mods:

1. ITR cams (or other cams, such as Toda, Cat, etc...)
    2. ITR intake manifold
    3. Hondata ITR reflash
    4. Racing header (either Comptech's or Jackson Racing)
    5. Intake

There's no other way he could have hung with a mid 13 second Stang w/out having new cams...assuming he was N/A of course. I could understand a RSX running that was running low 14s hanging with a faster AWD car on a roll, but not a car like a 'Stang that doesn't suffer from rolling speed issues.

Of course, now there are a few F/I kits available for the RSX. A few turbo's, a supercharger kit and a really nice Toda N/A kit as well...all of which would easily allow a RSX to hang with a mid 13 second car from a roll...maybe not from a stop though (stupid FWD ) And then there's nitrous...RSX's have hit low, low 13s on the go-go juice.

Number of different things this guy could have had. The K series motor is really mod-friendly and tuners are going to town on it right now. Best time I've seen so far in N/A form is a 13.1, with drag radials he easily would have hit 12s (according to him). So it ain't no Mustang or WRX, but you'll find some on the street that can hang.

Late

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by smokey
    I haven't been to the track yet, so I don't know what to say to you other than what others are running with my mods.

Basically, worst times with Hondata and Intake are mid 14s. Average are low 14s (14.4-14.0) and the best so far is a 13.9 with Hondata, tires and intake.

If a guy was able to stay with a 13.6 GT from a roll, I'm thinking he had the following mods:

1. ITR cams (or other cams, such as Toda, Cat, etc...)
    2. ITR intake manifold
    3. Hondata ITR reflash
    4. Racing header (either Comptech's or Jackson Racing)
    5. Intake

There's no other way he could have hung with a mid 13 second Stang w/out having new cams...assuming he was N/A of course. I could understand a RSX running that was running low 14s hanging with a faster AWD car on a roll, but not a car like a 'Stang that doesn't suffer from rolling speed issues.

Of course, now there are a few F/I kits available for the RSX. A few turbo's, a supercharger kit and a really nice Toda N/A kit as well...all of which would easily allow a RSX to hang with a mid 13 second car from a roll...maybe not from a stop though (stupid FWD ) And then there's nitrous...RSX's have hit low, low 13s on the go-go juice.

Number of different things this guy could have had. The K series motor is really mod-friendly and tuners are going to town on it right now. Best time I've seen so far in N/A form is a 13.1, with drag radials he easily would have hit 12s (according to him). So it ain't no Mustang or WRX, but you'll find some on the street that can hang.

Late
    Cool...It probably had a small shot, intake and exhaust. When my GT was NA I ran my friends Integra LS that had intake, exhaust, and a 75 shot, and put about 3-4 cars on him from a stop to 110. I would think an RSX type S, (which is faster stock than the LS's were by a longshot) with similar mods, would be able to hang with a lightly modded stang.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    Cool...It probably had a small shot, intake and exhaust. When my GT was NA I ran my friends Integra LS that had intake, exhaust, and a 75 shot, and put about 3-4 cars on him from a stop to 110. I would think an RSX type S, (which is faster stock than the LS's were by a longshot) with similar mods, would be able to hang with a lightly modded stang.
    Yea, RSX's can handle about a 75 shot on stock internals before things start getting hairy. That should be more than enough to run with a mid 13 second 'Stang and maybe even outrun one.

Of course, a mid 13 second 'Stang - that can't be more than one or two mods, can it? I'm thinking exhaust and maybe gears...because once the Mustangs really start to mod, its lights out (you knew that of course)

So turns out one of the techs at my work knows the kid with the cl. He called him up, and the kid said he wants to go again, cause he was messing around with the autostick!?!? Only he wants to go from a dig. Im sorry but id be suprised if he would do better drop a dead stop! Hopefully ill get a chance to run him again and we can see how it goes.
    02 aspen white wrx

1/4 ET 13.9

Originally posted by TrekWRX SST
    So turns out one of the techs at my work knows the kid with the cl. He called him up, and the kid said he wants to go again, cause he was messing around with the autostick!?!? Only he wants to go from a dig. Im sorry but id be suprised if he would do better drop a dead stop! Hopefully ill get a chance to run him again and we can see how it goes.
    My friend has a modded TL-P (intake, headers, exhaust. All from Comptech) and it has serious high end power. His car has more power up top than a stock S4 6 speed. His car does have a little bit more power than a stock CL-S, but it shouldn't be a big difference. From a stop, you SHOULD get the jump, if oyu launch correctly. Up top, I would think he would pull. Just be safe, whatever you guys do.

Originally posted by TrekWRX SST
    Tell him to turn off the VSA.. It will really help get much power from the J32A2. The VSA detects wheelspin and if it monitors that your wheel is spinning it retards the engine, thus allowing less power to deliver. Hahaha, he want to race from a dig? Tell him don't even think about it with the stock Michellin tires... Horrible tires!!! Major wheel spin!
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.