Prick in a Ferrari... - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Prick in a Ferrari... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Didn't feel like reading the whole thread but...... Maybe the Ferrari guys gave you the finger because although you saw ...

Didn't feel like reading the whole thread but......
    Maybe the Ferrari guys gave you the finger because although you saw them coming up from behind, you did not yield the right of way and they had to pass on the right.
    Maybe they are used to driving on the autbahn where it is a major offense to pass on the right.
    OK OK they were probably just d1cks, I just wanted to play devil's advocate for a second.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 2point0
    Just because I didnt know what GTO stood for, I dont know what I am talking about?
    GTO's (Pontiac) back in the day could pump out WAY more than 400HP N/A without the use of TWIN TURBO. That's weak
    I think he was talking about when you said that the "GTO made its name as the baddest American Muscle car of the era, not some foreign supercar." The implication of your statement is that the Pontiac came first, when it didn't. (1962 vs. 1964, I think)

Also, before 1972 American manufacturers measured HP in terms of SAE Gross (no accessories on the engine when they measure the output) After that point they went to SAE Net, which means all emissions, pumps, alternator, full exhaust are on the engine. Usually SAE net comes up to about 80% of the Gross measurement. So really 400hp in 1984 is more like 500hp in 1970. Bottom line is you can't really make valid comparisons between the published hp figures from the 1960's and early '70's with those of a Ferrari from the '80's. Just a little car trivia. Anyone feel free to correct me where wrong!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Ike
    Perhaps it is true about the NSX and the Camero. Oh Well, NO ONE has NSX's anyways. What an overpriced, overrated car. Kind of like the Supra.
    Do you know anything at all about the NSX, when is came out it was considered one of the best sportscars ever made, and it was often compared and beat other exotics that cost 2-3x as much. They've done very little to change that car, mainly because it was just that good. I'm not even going to go into the Supra part, I have to be somewhere in a couple hours and don't have the time to list all the reasons why you're wrong.

Ike

Originally posted by PKer
    Didn't feel like reading the whole thread but......
    Maybe the Ferrari guys gave you the finger because although you saw them coming up from behind, you did not yield the right of way and they had to pass on the right.
    Maybe they are used to driving on the autbahn where it is a major offense to pass on the right.
    OK OK they were probably just d1cks, I just wanted to play devil's advocate for a second.
    Ah, but I moved over, and they passed me on the left. And I moved over a good 5 to 10 seconds before they got side by side with me and passed. So, I did yield.
    Had this happened today... I would have BOVed them.

So if the NSX is such a fantastic car why do the sales numbers say different?

TRUTH: I don't know a whole lot about NSX's.

TRUTH: I have driven a 2002 3.2L V6 NSX and then been in a ride in a Z06.

$90,000 for a V6 "supercar" come on now! For $55,000 a ZO6. For $80,000 a VIPER. Is the NSX still such a "supercar" next to these beasts? I think not.

Last Gen Supra was a cool car, but is it really worth it to pay $25,000 for one now, just because it has become such a hot item due to a movie or two???

Personally if we take out the daily four season driver factor, I would rather buy a 350Z than a Supra. I'm sorry the Toyota Supra has become the poster boy for ricers.

NOTE: I am not trying to make enemies or start fights, just a good debate.

No other country, Japan, China, Germany NO ONE will ever be able to match the PURE raw power from cars of the 50-60-70's.

(dont get me wrong I am still a sucker for the turbo four in my WRX The WRX is so damn fun to drive. I could not imagine taking those boats of cars with no power steering around corners all the time )
    " I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell "

I hate to tell 2point0 this, but he's wrong again. The supra is one HE!! of a car, because of its stout twin-turbo v-6.

There are several runnin' around with engines modified to well over 1,000 bhp. Some hovering around 1,200 hp. So I don't see how he could call that car weak.

As far as the mustang being a ******* when it first came out, you need to ask yourself, "how many pony cars are still sold in America?"

Here's a short answer: one - Ford Mustang.

Not the Camaro, not the Trans Am, not the GTO, not the Judge, not the HemiCuda, not the... (you all get the picture).

They all died off because they couldn't sell enough to justify their existence.

And Ford will reinvent the Mustang next year with a wild makeover, that harkens back to the day when Mustangs had a fastback body style, blunt nose and Mach I stickers plastered on their side.

It's going to ooze muscle car style -- something the new pontiac GTO will never do, because all it is is a barely reskinned Australian Monaro.

oops, make that an inline six for the supra. For some reason, I was thinking about the last generation 300z, which was also a hell of a performance bargain until the dollar to yen ration dropped through the basement.

Just because I didnt know what GTO stood for, I dont know what I am talking about?

GTO's (Pontiac) back in the day could pump out WAY more than 400HP N/A without the use of TWIN TURBO. That's weak

Perhaps it is true about the NSX and the Camero. Oh Well, NO ONE has NSX's anyways. What an overpriced, overrated car. Kind of like the Supra.

Edit: Do some research the Mustang was a ******* when it came out. It was NO competition to the current muscle cars of the time.
    The Ferrari GTO had a whopping 2.8L engine
    And they could still get that much horsepower out of it and make it go fast on a ROAD CORSE.

Now tell me just how freaking huge that pontaic's engine was.
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

drbyers and Jared pretty much said what I want to say to 2point0.

btw, 2point0, if you did some research, you'll see that the Camero when it first came out is on the same ground as the Mustang back then. They both are image car because people liked them. Later on, they began to compete more seriously and added various performance model to their line up.

The NSX may be an overpriced machine, but it is a car that competed with the Ferraris and Porsches in the same era: The Porsche 964 and Ferrari 348, and came out of the pack on equal ground. There's also nothing wrong with their engine choice. Jaguar used a twin turbo V6 in their XJ220 back in 1995, and that car is considered one of the greatest supercar. Porsche has been using the flat-six for years. Heck, Lotus has been using their inline-4 in the Espirit for years and only changed it to the V8 in recent years.

As for the comment on pure raw power, in the 70's BMW had a 2 liter 4 cyclinder F2 car that made 315hp. In 1982 BMW entered F1 with a 1.5 liter turbo 4 cyclinder engine that produced 540 hp. Later on this engine produced well over 800hp. If you talk about today, there's the MB/AMG kompressor V8 that makes 500hp and 500 TQ, Enzo's 660hp V12, Murcielago's 571hp V12, etc. All these engine far exceed what the engines in the muscle car is capable of in the sense of combining power and refinement.
    Last edited by FrankW; 08-10-2003 at 02:36 AM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

I Support ClubWRX
    No other country, Japan, China, Germany NO ONE will ever be able to match the PURE raw power from cars of the 50-60-70's.
    Hard to argue with you on that. Those huge displacement NA engines certainly had a mountain of torque. My dream car in high school was a Chevelle SS. I'd still like to have one, but not for a daily driver. Have you driven one lately? After being in modern cars for years, those old things feel unbelievably primitive and unwieldly.

My first car was a 1970 Impala with smallblock 350. It was a grocery-getter, but still accelerated with authority. It was amazing the cars that I could beat to 60 with that land yacht! Now I'm amazed that I can own a car that is quicker and faster, has handling on top of it, and gets 26-27 mpg. (for me, I know some people get much less...)

For the record, I love TT Supras. Nice styling, and you can make it breath-takingly fast for so little money...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Also, back in the 60s when everything was measured in gross horsepower (the engine could be dynoed with no accessories, and race fuel) cars weren't nearly as fast as they are today. If you listen to some older people, they'll tell you that back in the day, they ran 70-something mph trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. Now you have four-bangers running 90+.

---

I'd like to clear up some misconceptions about Supras. They're usually done in stages called BPU, BPU+, BPU++, and beyond that, APU. Basic/advanced Performance Upgrade. Supras already do 320 stock and most BPUs are near 400. Boost, exhaust, most of the stuff would be the same as a stage-1 WRX. It dosen't take much to figure out what + and ++ stand for. Swing by www.suprastore.com and check out how much a new turbo kit, or upgrade is. Not cheap anymore!

Most Supra owners stop at 400-500hp usually because they don't want to switch from the stock twins. Even if you had 1000hp capacity, you're stuck at 500-600 max, with pump gas in most states.

Advanced Performance Upgrades usually go beyond 600hp (on not-pump-gas of course). There's one APU Supra at Supraforums.com, who produces 958 horsepower at the wheels. It's a typical Supra, right?

Well, if you consider the shortblock is stock...

The guy drives it once every two weeks. Says it runs great.

Hey Now, I never said the Supra was weak.... it is everything but that

The old muscle cars would never be good daily drivers today duh. I just have a thing for seeing them on the track lifting the front end straight up and riding on the back two wheels, THAT IS COOL!!!!

Here is my dream car incase anyone cares: It may not be a "supercar" in some peoples eye but I love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magelise22.jpg  

The old muscle cars would never be good daily drivers today duh. I just have a thing for seeing them on the track lifting the front end straight up and riding on the back two wheels, THAT IS COOL!!!!
    Not to smash ur dream, but stock muscle car can't do that. Those thing you see on the dragstrip are pretty much all modded to hell with today's technology, and you gotta have quite some $$ to do that. A 68 Vette ran 6.3 second 0-60, and that's with 435hp from a 427 V8. In order for these cars to lift up the front wheel and run 9 second or less 1/4 mile, they need whole lot more power than what came stock.

About the Elise, it won't be much of a dream anymore as Lotus is planning to bring it to the states by tossing it's original Rover engine. In it's place there will be a Toyota inline-4. It'll be probably priced around mid-high $40k when they start selling'em in 05. You can get'em today for around $40-50k as well from that one company that's importing the car and swap the engine to a Honda 2.0 liter type-R engine in order to pass the emission.
    Last edited by FrankW; 08-10-2003 at 03:03 AM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

I know the old school muscle cars have to be modded to hell....

I would love to own a Lotus, sadly I dont think I will be able to afford $40,000 anytime in the next 5 years or so

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.