Prick in a Ferrari... - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Prick in a Ferrari... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Lets compare... I would take the latter....

Lets compare... I would take the latter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fcc20030509big.jpg  
    " I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell "

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

silly rabbit, lol. read your automotive history books.

Ferrari used the GTO moniker first in 1962 on its "Gran Turismo Omologato" race car, like the one pictured below.

Ferrari produced a handful of the race cars and sold them to customers just so they could qualify for certain GT races. (That's called the homologation process).

The original GTOs were so rare and prized that one sold for $15 million once at auction.

Ferrari revived the GTO moniker again in the 1980s with the 288 GTO (a twin turbo v8 beauty like the red beauty in my previous post) just to go racing again.

Pontiac started using the GTO moniker in 1964, basically just to cash in on the GTO nameplate during the muscle car wars of the 60s.

But you'll never see a Pontiac GTO (also known as a GOAT by muscle car enthusiasts) sell for anywhere near seven figures -- or six figures for that matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gto2.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    On the subject of F-50's.... A friend of mine's dad had one... (which was parked in the garage next to t his F40). He took the F50 out for a flogging one day, and wrecked the piss out of it. I saw pictures of the car wrecked, and it was ugly. So what did he do?! He bought another one of course! He's driven that one all of 5 times maybe (once at the track).

The police report said that he had to be doing at least 150 when he crashed the first one (not on the highway mind you)!! Talk about excersizing your wallet and not your brain!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yaay! Someone else KNOWS and APPRECIATES the 288GTO! I *heart* that thing, a LOT! It's cranky like an exotic should be. It's uncomfortable, uncompromising, and cramped and only short lil' people like myself (5'3), can fit in and even then, my arms probably won't reach the steering wheel unless I scoot the seat forward until my knees are on my chin.

ANd the 288GTO seems to be in smaller numbers than the F40 and F50.

Originally posted by drbyers
    I'd still buy a ferrari. but not any of the new ones.

I'd get the 288 GTO, the most beautiful sports car in history IMHO...
    YOU, my man, has GREAT TASTE...

The 84 GTO is definitely my ultimate dream car...and the most beautiful Ferrari ever...imo

one thing I can add to the 288 GTO story is that the car actually never made it on the race track due to some restriction that was imposed on the car.
    Last edited by FrankW; 08-08-2003 at 02:08 AM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Ike
    Any Ferrari with a 250 in the name is prettymuch my pick. The 80s model Ferraris in general just don't do it for me.

Ike

Ike
    By the way, could someone please buy this for me?

http://www.dennigcars.org/used_ferrari.htm

Originally posted by 2point0
    Why do they call it the GTO?

The GTO made its name as the baddest American Muscle car of the era, not some foreign supercar.

Why did they do that?
    PLEASE know what the hell you are talking about before you do talk.

Pontiac (in some CRAZY marketing scheme) took the GTO (which means grand touring obliganta) name from Ferrari.

Pontiac = name stealers
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

It really doesn't take a "pile" of money to get into the Ferrari world. My friends dad recentlly purchased a 308 GTB for around 30k. We did have to restore the interior and do a couple of maintanace things to the engine, but right now it runs like a dream, not to mention looks like one too.

If some guy is going to spend over $500,000 on a car (ie F50) then I can think how he would be just a little nervous to take the thing out in traffic.

If you are rich, then why would you not want to buy the best?
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

Originally posted by jar_e_d sti

If some guy is going to spend over $500,000 on a car (ie F50) then I can think how he would be just a little nervous to take the thing out in traffic.
    I agree with you on that. Hell, even if I spent $200,000 on a 360 Modena, I'd be scared to take it on the road. I can't imagine how scared I'd be to take out a Mclaren F1.

But, if by some stroke of luck I get a whole lot of money, I'd be at a Ferrari dealer the day after I get the cash.

Originally posted by jar_e_d sti
    Pontiac = name stealers
    You know, when the NSX came out in 1991, Pontiac made it a point to offer the Camaro in the EXACT SAME colors as the NSX? As a result the NSX suddenly became a lot less...noticeable.

Also...if you had so much money to spend that you didn't really have to worry about anything, you probably wouldn't be too nervous to drive a Ferrari around. Besides, if something breaks, you can afford to fix it! I'm sure there's some people out there with a WRX who baby the car as you would baby your Ferrari if you had one.
    Just about the only thing that won't devalue a Ferrari, is having the front bumper and front underbody replaced or redone. Anything else short of factory restoration, wreaks havoc on the value of your "investment"

It's the people who've worked for it very hard and can barely afford it, who are the ones that never touch the car. another thing I've noticed...I've noticed in some threads like this, it's "A car that nice shouldn't be driven" and when there's a picture of one on a flatbed, it's "A car that nice should be driven"
    Last edited by AREITU; 08-08-2003 at 12:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by AREITU
    You know, when the NSX came out in 1991, Pontiac made it a point to offer the Camaro in the EXACT SAME colors as the NSX? As a result the NSX suddenly became a lot less...noticeable.
    Ok, so I'm a nitpicker. Chevy produced the Camaro, Pontiac did the Firebird...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

288 GTO is the coolest Ferrari ever, and it seems a few of you feel the same way.

Could it be the "boxer 8"?
    Steve McQueen's got nothin' on me...
    I'll take you back, west of Pleiades...

Originally posted by GriffinREX
    288 GTO is the coolest Ferrari ever, and it seems a few of you feel the same way.

Could it be the "boxer 8"?
    no, man...it's the 2.8 liter 400hp Twin Turbo V8 and the buldging fenders.

how can you not love this car:

I think a lot of GM's muscle car wouldn't have be there if Ford didn't introduce the Mustang back in the days. It was the reason GM came out with the Camero. The only original GM sports car is the Vette.
    Last edited by FrankW; 08-08-2003 at 01:04 PM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Just because I didnt know what GTO stood for, I dont know what I am talking about?

GTO's (Pontiac) back in the day could pump out WAY more than 400HP N/A without the use of TWIN TURBO. That's weak

Perhaps it is true about the NSX and the Camero. Oh Well, NO ONE has NSX's anyways. What an overpriced, overrated car. Kind of like the Supra.

Edit: Do some research the Mustang was a ******* when it came out. It was NO competition to the current muscle cars of the time.
    Last edited by 2point0; 08-08-2003 at 01:29 PM.
    " I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell "

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast