WRX Vs. Ferrari

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. Ferrari within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I still can't believe it. Yesterday I was driving with a friend on the I-215 near my house. I was ...

WRX Vs. Ferrari

I still can't believe it. Yesterday I was driving with a friend on the I-215 near my house. I was cruising at about 60 (speed limit was 45, the freeway is not complete yet), when I spotted a dark grey Ferrari up ahead, after checking on the net I found out it was a 360 Modena, it looked pretty new. There was a lot of traffic but I worked my way up to it for a closer look. I got behind him and he must of saw me, and started weaving through traffic to stay ahead. Nothing too extreme, I could tell he wasn't really on it because I was keeping up no problem. I followed him for about 3 or 4 miles. Then we came up to a turnoff for Summerlin Pkwy (which is almost a freeway but has traffic lights), He turned off and I followed, he was cruising at about 80-90 and I was right on him. He was in the right lane and I switched to the left. Up ahead I saw a traffic light, and no traffic between us and the light, my heart started pounding. We approach the light and it is red, I say to my passenger "Do I dare race a Ferrari" Well we roll up to the light it's still red, I'd say we were going about 10mph I can't say for sure because I was in shock, his rear tire is about even with my front bumper at this point. I was in first gear and about 15 feet from the white line, then it happened, the light turned green. I thought to myself "oh crap there goes any chance of me getting a good AWD launch". I gunned it and so did he. All I remember next was looking down at my tach and I was at 4000 RPM in second gear pedal through the floor, I looked over and I could see his red calipers on his rear tires. His rear tires where lined up with my front tires, and amazingly enough he wasn't pulling away I swear, I couldn't believe it. I thought to myself my second gear must be taller than his or something. I hung with him a good 3-4 seconds which seemed like an eternity. I could tell he shifted right before I maxed out in second. Then I hit third and he started pulling away, at this point he was about 1/2 - 1 car length ahead of me. By the time I hit the dreaded 4th he was about 5-6 lengths ahead, I kept if floored to about 110mph, he was pretty far ahead so I decided that was it. I flashed my blinkers he was at least 50 yards ahead of me. Me and my buddy were like holy crap! High fiving and laughing, it was such a rush. He slowed down to about 70mph I caught up to him to take a second look, and give him the thumbs up. I pulled up along side of him (he was driving solo) and he wouldn't even look at me, I gave him a thumbs up anyway. I am still amazed, that I hung with him at all, especially since my car is stock. I'll never forget that race, funny thing is, that was the first car I raced since I got Rex back in May (I've been looking for EVO's but no luck). Great way to break him in. What kind of sucks is, the day before I reset my ECU, changed my boost selenoid hoses back to stock configuration, and I wasn't getting as much boost as I usually do, oh well. When I get my Vishnu stage 0, that guy better look out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ferrari 360.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

same car approached me at a red light the other night, i gave him a thumbs up and told him his car was nice and he replied "ill give you a 1/4 mile head start up to the next two lights for ownership slips", i replied "im not retarded i know what your car is" and that was that. that guy was a ***got that though his car was hot sh!t, i mean its a gorgeous car but c'mon, a 1/4 head start? thats seriously doubting the power of the rex. he has no idea what i could have had under my hood and has the nerve to race me for slips? too bad my rex is a stock 4eat otherwise i would have me a new ferrari

-Brian

That guy deserved to lose his Ferrari if he's willing to bet it in a street race. No respect for the work of art he's driving, and no respect for God-knows-what is sitting next to him at the light. What if you were a Godspeed Stage IV? 200 shot nitrous? Warp speed? That would have been an expensive (and well deserved) lesson for him.

Well actually since you bring up Ferraris, the other night me and my friend in his wrx (and me in my ReallySlow) were going down I-93 to pick up one of my other friend's new 03 cavaliar we saw a ferrari 348, it looked like an early 90s model. As I was switching over there was 2 clear lanes so I hopped in trailing him and flooring it as hard as I could, my friend in the wrx saw this and figured out what I was going to do and hopped in behind me. As I pull up next to the 348, I tried to go by but with no luck (obviously) he would keep inching forward not letting me get ahead. So my friend in the wrx decided to try and fly-by and actually did but since this was on the highway, it wasn't by much. This pretty much started our little adventure, of my friend's wrx chasing after the Ferrari with my trying to keep up. Surprisingly the wrx didn't totally get destroyed, the most the Ferrari could pull was around 5-6 car lengths away. I was pretty surprised because he could kinda sorta hang with the Ferrari. Maybe the guy wasn't trying or i dunno.

Actually, that sounds about right. The 348 had a 0-60 of about 5.5 sec and a 1/4 mile time in the low 14's. Write off the loss to the WRX's weak top end. Off the line and you'd have a driver's race IMHO.

the ferraris may not be a whole lot faster than a WRX, but i spend lots of time with the FCA, and have been able to drive many different ferraris...when it comes to turning, and cornering...the ferrari rules...they are soo low to the ground, will not roll over...they can take almost anything

I also have a 2004 WRX 5-speed.
    2004 Silver WRX

I Support ClubWRX

my Ferrari encounter

One of my coolest kills ever was when I got to race a Ferrari 355 F1 that a local guy has (I'm told its a '98 model year). I've seen him several times on the road, but one time was on a 4 lane in midafternoon when I was on the way to Philadelphia with my jdm WRX motor swap (mid 12 sec car, ported 16g turbo, every accompanying mod you can imagine).

I couldnt' pass up the chance to race an exotic, especially since his woman was in the car with him, which makes it even more embarrassing if I win. So I used a technique that seems to work to make a car engage me in a roll on. I figured a Ferrari won't even want to bother with some mid '90's Subaru economy car with a loud (3") exhaust.

So it was wide open highway, I passed him, but not too aggressively, pulled maybe 6-7 carlengths ahead, then slowed to 35 mph in 2nd (which is a sweet spot on my jdm WRX). This is an ******* thing for me to do, but it usually does get the other driver annoyed enough to try to blow by me That's exactly what the Ferrari did. I could head the high pitched scream from his motor (I was disappointed by the sound to be honest), and I timed him just right, and floored it right as he was coming up on me. He was figuring he'd blow by me, but just as his rear tires pulled even with my front tires, I started to reel him in and proceeded to slowly walk his rich ass up to 95 mph before I had a half carlength on him, and he shut down, no doubt frustrated, cursing, and humiliated in front of his woman, bewildered that his Ferrari couldn't even pass some ******* Subaru! It was classic.

I looked up his car, and it is a 13.2@108 (IIRC), so it makes sense that I'd walk him. I'm always amazed at what a topend turbo the 16g is, especially in my '94 L, since it weighs in at 2580 lbs.
    Last edited by annointed; 08-03-2003 at 08:31 AM.
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Man, what a fun race. I run into so many Modenas on the streets of Houston. Never raced one...yet. Someday though, it'll be on
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Aside from my thread about the encounter I had... If it was to race... I would tell the sucker I want to race from a dead start, no handicaps, and for both of us to hold nothing back. I'd get whipped since I'm stock... but I would love to see the difference in power.

On the other hand... I would love to have an ESX 740 or 800 upgrade... Pull up next to one of these riich snobs, and eat them alive, leaving them with only one alternative... Fly past me once I top out the cars max speed. Even then, no way would I get to that unless I had a good 2 miles of open land to race on.