WRX vs. Corvette - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Corvette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; LIL SS, So I guess your Z is a newer one, LS1? What kind of mods do you have? I'm ...

LIL SS,

So I guess your Z is a newer one, LS1?
    What kind of mods do you have?
    I'm impressed is your can pull 3-4 car lengths on a Z06.
    I saw one run 12.2s@110+mph with only a CF K&N intake.

-Jim

Originally posted by LIL SS
    I ran a Z06 and had no problem moving 3-4 cars on the guy.. Helps if you start with close to what they are..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    LIL SS,

So I guess your Z is a newer one, LS1?
    What kind of mods do you have?
    I'm impressed is your can pull 3-4 car lengths on a Z06.
    I saw one run 12.2s@110+mph with only a CF K&N intake.

-Jim

Actualy it's a 2001 SS.. Not much difference in performance than a Z though.. I have quite a bit done to it.

Go Fast goods:

K&N filter
    Direct flow lid
    Fast toys Ram Air
    Granatelli MAF
    MAF Translator
    BBK Throttle body
    AIT resistor (tricks the PCM to think it is 36*)
    Cats removed
    Cut out in the Y-pipe
    NOS 5177 kit (Spraying a 125 dry shot)

Last time at the track I did not have the Fast Toys kit and was only at 800psi In the bottle with a 100 shot, trapped at 117.7X.. I'm thinking now, with the bottle at full pressure (1100psi) and the FTRA kit I should trap closer to 120mph..

I have also done some suspension work.. I want to put some slicks on the car and run sub 11.5 or so but I fear for my clutch and rear end.. I think I will wait until I buy those..
    LETS PLAY

Goddam, I'm impressed!!!

What were your ET's? All motor? With the NOS?

I always thought SS was just another package on top of the Z-28 package. Am I wrong?

This Z06 was not even broken in yet! With a little work, I'd wouldn't be at all surprised to see mid 11s.

They are a hell of a lot more money than an SS, tho!!!

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Goddam, I'm impressed!!!

What were your ET's? All motor? With the NOS?

I always thought SS was just another package on top of the Z-28 package. Am I wrong?

This Z06 was not even broken in yet! With a little work, I'd wouldn't be at all surprised to see mid 11s.

They are a hell of a lot more money than an SS, tho!!!

-Jim

Platinum,
    You are correct that the SS is infact an upgrade option to the Z28.. If you were ordering a SS they do have to start with the base Z28.. I never did think of it that way though..

In regards to my 1/4 times. I don't mind mentioning them, but please keep this in mind. No one was hooking the day I went to the track. The big tire cars were only cutting 1.5X-1.6X 60 foot times. A buddy went with me who has a 66 Nova with 33-12.50 and was spinning through the 60 foot mark to a high 1.5X..

My motor run was a 13.9X at 108.4 with a 2.6x 60 foot (left at 1/2 throttle 2200 rpm)

N20 run was a 12.8x at 117.7x high 2.5x 60 foot (Left 1/2 throttle 1800 rpm)

When the car was 100% stock I ran at the same track and came home with a 13.32 @ 105.x 1.97 60ft..

I really need to do the rear, clutch and slicks.. For now I am putting some drag radials on order though.. A little cheaper even though I still won't run what I want.. After the rear and clutch, it will be heads and cam.

The goal is a 10 second, full weight, daily driven car.. (I have 36k miles on it and it isn't even 1 year old.. 4/18/01 was date of purchase)
    LETS PLAY

LIL SS,

NICE!

Sounds like the track needed a good cleaning and some fresh traction compound. That stuff wouldn't fly up here at Atco. Everybody would bitch. I'm sure if you get some runs with your 60ft. down around 2.0 (where it should be), you'll be laying down some freaking awesome times.

-Jim

Thats what I'm hoping for.. I would be one happy person getting a 2.0 60 there and getting kicked off the track with a sub 12.00 pass..
    LETS PLAY

what are those Z06? I meant stats wise? I was fooling around with a z06 today, he gave me such a hard time to beat them. they kept up with me pretty well, scary cars those are.

I was riding my TL1000R.
    Last edited by slin02; 04-09-2002 at 07:02 PM.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

Originally posted by slin02
    what are those Z06? I meant stats wise? I was fooling around with a z06 today, he gave me such a hard time to beat them. they kept up with me pretty well, scary cars those are.

The Z06 is the top of the line production Vette.. GM claims 415hp. If memory serves me right, I have seen people claiming dyno numbers of around 350 rwhp stock. In a car that weighs something like 3000lbs with driver, thats pretty awesome..

I was riding my TL1000R.
    LETS PLAY

Originally posted by slin02

I was riding my TL1000R.
    The 2002 model has 405 HP. The magazines quote them as doing 0-60 in 4.3 seconds with a mid 12 ET. I know of a lot of people that do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds with a high 11/low 12 ET, with a stock Z06. They corner at 1.0g too. They are a sweet machine!
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I'll be on the track this weekend with a 405 Z06. I'll post how bad he left me on monday.

Platinum,
    You are correct that the SS is infact an upgrade option to the Z28.. If you were ordering a SS they do have to start with the base Z28.. I never did think of it that way though..

In regards to my 1/4 times. I don't mind mentioning them, but please keep this in mind. No one was hooking the day I went to the track. The big tire cars were only cutting 1.5X-1.6X 60 foot times. A buddy went with me who has a 66 Nova with 33-12.50 and was spinning through the 60 foot mark to a high 1.5X..

My motor run was a 13.9X at 108.4 with a 2.6x 60 foot (left at 1/2 throttle 2200 rpm)

N20 run was a 12.8x at 117.7x high 2.5x 60 foot (Left 1/2 throttle 1800 rpm)

When the car was 100% stock I ran at the same track and came home with a 13.32 @ 105.x 1.97 60ft..

I really need to do the rear, clutch and slicks.. For now I am putting some drag radials on order though.. A little cheaper even though I still won't run what I want.. After the rear and clutch, it will be heads and cam.

The goal is a 10 second, full weight, daily driven car.. (I have 36k miles on it and it isn't even 1 year old.. 4/18/01 was date of purchase)

A 10 sec daily driven LS1 is a pretty tall order.

I've owned 4 z28s. I've owned 1 SS. My last car was a 99 z28 - with stage 2 heads/ hot cam, long tube headers, 3200 stall converter, boral exhaust wide open, Mti box, modified zo6 intake, 3;73 gears. This was my 390 rear wheel hp ( 450 crank) daily driver. This was a 12.0 flat street tire car. I can tell you this car was barely streetable. I would not want any more power for the street.
    It was fast but two transmissions in one year and it had to go.
    For you to have a 10 sec LS1 as a daily driver you are going to have to be rich. Your going to be rebuilding the transmission/cluthes regularly.. You will also need to replace the rear end. The stock rear end will not handle the 600hp your going to need to get into the 10s.
    My friend has a WS6 - Stage 2 heads/cam/ full dual exhaust, every bolt on possible + 4000 stall converter and a 200shot of NOS. His car is out of control on the street. He has spent over 20k on his car. He is already rebuilt the engine twice and the car isn't two year old.

My advise is to keep the HP down to a manageable level if this is your daily transportation.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX

A 10 sec daily driven LS1 is a pretty tall order.

I've owned 4 z28s. I've owned 1 SS. My last car was a 99 z28 - with stage 2 heads/ hot cam, long tube headers, 3200 stall converter, boral exhaust wide open, Mti box, modified zo6 intake, 3;73 gears. This was my 390 rear wheel hp ( 450 crank) daily driver. This was a 12.0 flat street tire car. I can tell you this car was barely streetable. I would not want any more power for the street.
    It was fast but two transmissions in one year and it had to go.
    For you to have a 10 sec LS1 as a daily driver you are going to have to be rich. Your going to be rebuilding the transmission/cluthes regularly.. You will also need to replace the rear end. The stock rear end will not handle the 600hp your going to need to get into the 10s.
    My friend has a WS6 - Stage 2 heads/cam/ full dual exhaust, every bolt on possible + 4000 stall converter and a 200shot of NOS. His car is out of control on the street. He has spent over 20k on his car. He is already rebuilt the engine twice and the car isn't two year old.

My advise is to keep the HP down to a manageable level if this is your daily transportation.

SGO,
    You and I have been through this discusion before about what these cars run. I don't know if you are in denial or haven't seen what these things really do. Your claims about your friends cars and your cars in the past leave a lot to be desired in my eyes.. Some things for you to think about..

Last tims at the track I went through the traps at 117mph with only 800psi in the bottle. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I would have had a rear and clutch that would hold rather than the stock one, 117 is good for a mid to low 11 1/4 mile.. (A buddy with a 65 nova that day ran 11.5@115 with a 1.5X 60foot)
    I am not stupid enough to put slicks on a stock 10 bolt and jug it out of the whole. I know I would not be driving it home. Since then I have put a bottle heater in the car to hold 1050-1100 psi changed to 125 shot jets and added a fast toys ram air kit. I'm pretty sure it will trap at 120mph next time to the track. I also got 26mpg on the way home in 6th gear sitting at 1500-1700 rpm the whole way..

By the way, who is your friend, where does he post and what is his handle. If he knows anything about the LS1 F-body's he'll set you straight about these unning low 11's just as a full bolt on car with some good weight reduction (race weight around 3100-3200) I'm sorry to hear his package does not preform.. What exactly has he done? You say he has full bolt ons head/cam package with a 200 shot and a 4000 stall. Have him sign on and give me details. Or tell me where he posts.. If he truly does exist, he'll know what website is the best one around for LS1's and he'll probably be one of the faster cars out there given his package is right.. Time for you to prove what you preach. I'll back my **** up any day..
    LETS PLAY

SGO,
    You and I have been through this discusion before about what these cars run. I don't know if you are in denial or haven't seen what these things really do. Your claims about your friends cars and your cars in the past leave a lot to be desired in my eyes.. Some things for you to think about..

Last tims at the track I went through the traps at 117mph with only 800psi in the bottle. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I would have had a rear and clutch that would hold rather than the stock one, 117 is good for a mid to low 11 1/4 mile.. (A buddy with a 65 nova that day ran 11.5@115 with a 1.5X 60foot)
    I am not stupid enough to put slicks on a stock 10 bolt and jug it out of the whole. I know I would not be driving it home. Since then I have put a bottle heater in the car to hold 1050-1100 psi changed to 125 shot jets and added a fast toys ram air kit. I'm pretty sure it will trap at 120mph next time to the track. I also got 26mpg on the way home in 6th gear sitting at 1500-1700 rpm the whole way..

By the way, who is your friend, where does he post and what is his handle. If he knows anything about the LS1 F-body's he'll set you straight about these unning low 11's just as a full bolt on car with some good weight reduction (race weight around 3100-3200) I'm sorry to hear his package does not preform.. What exactly has he done? You say he has full bolt ons head/cam package with a 200 shot and a 4000 stall. Have him sign on and give me details. Or tell me where he posts.. If he truly does exist, he'll know what website is the best one around for LS1's and he'll probably be one of the faster cars out there given his package is right.. Time for you to prove what you preach. I'll back my **** up any day..
    I'm not about to give out anyone name. Thats his business but if your that desperate to try to prove a point contact Corvette Connection in Fort Myers Fl. There in the phone book - there on Arc way. They did all the work on his car. He had a Agostino Racing Stage 2 Head/cam setup/ 4000 stall, NOS the works. Kieth the owner of Corvette Connection did all the work and can tell you all about him. He the one that had bad trouble with his valve springs. They sent him the wrong ones. He will know who I'm talking about. He spent about 20k last year on his WS6. The last I talked to them he was running mid 11s. He may be running faster now. I don't know.
    Kieth the owner has a bad ass C5 fully rebuilt with a 200 shot the last I checked. He also blew up his motor last fall. You can talk to him about that too while your at it.

Also your running NOS. If your running NOS - thats not power the engine has all the time. I thought you were talking about having some real power. Its easy to run those numbers with NOS. Try running that kind of power without NOS then see how great a daily driver it makes. Not a very good one.
    Secondly you going to need deep pockets

Originally posted by SGOSWRX

I'm not about to give out anyone name. Thats his business but if your that desperate to try to prove a point contact Corvette Connection in Fort Myers Fl. There in the phone book - there on Arc way. They did all the work on his car. He had a Agostino Racing Stage 2 Head/cam setup/ 4000 stall, NOS the works. Kieth the owner of Corvette Connection did all the work and can tell you all about him. He the one that had bad trouble with his valve springs. They sent him the wrong ones. He will know who I'm talking about. He spent about 20k last year on his WS6. The last I talked to them he was running mid 11s. He may be running faster now. I don't know.
    Kieth the owner has a bad ass C5 fully rebuilt with a 200 shot the last I checked. He also blew up his motor last fall. You can talk to him about that too while your at it.

Also your running NOS. If your running NOS - thats not power the engine has all the time. I thought you were talking about having some real power. Its easy to run those numbers with NOS. Try running that kind of power without NOS then see how great a daily driver it makes. Not a very good one.
    Secondly you going to need deep pockets

I will agree that it is a lot easier to run fast with some N20.

Yes it is harder to run a 10 second 1/4 N/A.. It can be done though.. I have not seen or heard of or seen someone doing it though with the stock 346 cub motor with out N20. So yes it would cost quite a bit to go 10's N/A as you would have to bore/stroke the motor as well as heads/cam and full bolt-ons with some weight reduction.

I have seen 2 different low 11 sec senerios on stock 346 displacement..

1) Major weight reduction + full bolt on running low 11's (3100 race weight including driver) (No internal work)

2) Full weight heads/cam + full bolt ons running low 11's..

I have seen several of both scenerios so it wasn't a freak thing.

Taking that in to consideration my car when done will be a full bolt on with S2 heads and a cam in the .560-.570 lift range with about 220-226 duration (It's not sure what cam yet or exact specs as I am still researching).

So let me ask you, do you think this is going to be a 10 second daily driver??

By the way your comment "Also your running NOS. If your running NOS - thats not power the engine has all the time. I thought you were talking about having some real power." Come run me and we’ll see who wins. Your just sad because your not that fast. I’ll even run you on the motor if you want. My choice to go N20 is just that. Every one has there different way to make power. It doesn’t mean any of those different ways are wrong. You yourself in a previous post said you do things for yourself, not others right? Well guess what, the same applies for me.
    LETS PLAY

I know a guy here locally running 9.94@136.37 in a daily driven 1998 Z28. He is not using N20 and he is still has AC. Rumor has it, the car should run low 9's high 8's this year. I will post a video later, I am just curious as to what you guys think.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast