WRX vs WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just raced my WRX against another WRX from stop, no launching just a regular step on gas when the ...

WRX vs WRX

I just raced my WRX against another WRX from stop, no launching just a regular step on gas when the light turns green race. The whole time we were neck and neck with him slightly ahead, but the funny thing is when we pulled over all he had was an uppipe and downpipe. My car has a turboXS hpbc, downpipe, uppipe, HKS catback, Samco intercooler hoses, Samco inlet, ported and polished throttlebody, K&N drop-in. Since I have more mods shouldn't I be a bit faster . I could only think of two reasons 1. Lack of engine management 2. My boost was only at 14psi in third. But isn't the advantage of an mbc faster spool? Well, it was good friendly race with another WRX .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

One word: Utec.

mbc != faster spool

an mbc allows you to run more boost in all your gears... It will not allow you to spool any quicker....

anyway 14psi is only nominally different than stock and the only mods you listed w/ any real power is the up and downpipe wich he had too.... also differnet downpipes catless vs single cat can make a big difference..

but yeah if you had a utec you would have walked him.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I Support ClubWRX
    The mbc also allows you to hold boost a bit better at the top of each gear. What kind if tranny do you have, 5MT or 4EAT? What about the other guy? That could be the difference....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

happened to me something similar too.... ran stock 04 WRX and we were neck to neck from 70 - 120mph. That was when my car had MBC@14.7psi w/o unichip.

Midnight, we both have 5mt.

He also said that other people noticed his car runs very strong. I guess I should just turn up the boost to 15psi in 3rd. And I'm going to buy some sort of engine management very soon .

Actually with the mods mentioned the cars are pretty close. Granted you have a mbc which can help a lot, but if he is a better driver he might still get a better launch which would allow him to keep up with you.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

maybe you suck at shifting
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by Kitt
    Midnight, we both have 5mt.

He also said that other people noticed his car runs very strong. I guess I should just turn up the boost to 15psi in 3rd. And I'm going to buy some sort of engine management very soon .
    What uppie and downie does that guy have?

Originally posted by MustGoFast
    mbc != faster spool

an mbc allows you to run more boost in all your gears... It will not allow you to spool any quicker....

anyway 14psi is only nominally different than stock and the only mods you listed w/ any real power is the up and downpipe wich he had too.... also differnet downpipes catless vs single cat can make a big difference..

but yeah if you had a utec you would have walked him.

That's just not true. Not only will an MBC allow you to acheive higher boost in low gears, it'll also allow the turbo to spool up MUCH quicker (of course we're talking about a ball and spring MBC).

Anyhow, no telling as to why the other WRX hung with you. Maybe you aren't shifting at redline and he was. Driving is a big part here.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

I would say I'm a good driver and I know exactly were to shift . Yesterday I turned my boost up to 15.5psi, this made a big difference on the top end. Anyway, somebody I know has met this guy, he has more then an uppipe and downpipe he also has a Cobb reflash.

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    the cobb reflash i am guessing evens you guys out. Get an UTEC and you will own him
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

How would a UTEC own a COBB re-flash if both cars have the same bolt-ons?
    I would think two off the shelf maps would perform pretty close. If the UTEC owner had spent lots of time customizing his tune and the COBB was off the shelf i could understand it.
    Otherwise I don't see how the UTEC would "OWN"

Not saying this is you, but a lot of people who think they really shift well actually shift like squat. I used to think that I drove like a champ until I took some lessons from people who knew what they were doing........it makes a huge difference.

As fast as the cars even, a cobb reflash will definately even you guys out.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Maybe your car was built on Fri. afternoon.

I am running a turboxs unichip stg3 @ about 16psi, raced my neighbor who has a stg 4 utec, couple runs from a roll, he couldn't pull an inch.
    Another guy on here, wrxinsc, his wagon is crazy. He thinks it was built on a Tues.
    Shifting can always be the answer, but when your both doing 60 in 3rd and go, the stg 4 should pull, he didn't. He said he was running 18psi.
    Oh, I have underdrive pullies, he does not.
    2002 PSM WRX, silencer removed, K&N filter, Unorthodox pullies, MRT uppipe, BPM turboback, Samco hoses, Turbo XS unichip, Turbo XS Top Mount,GReddy pro-fec B boost controller, Grounding Mod, Eibach springs, GFB BOV,Excel wheels, Cusco rear sway bar & end links, STI hoodscoop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast