How good is the Mitsu Evo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How good is the Mitsu Evo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; really. I mean it does nada in the WRC and quite frankly all it reminds me of is that Who ...

How good is the Mitsu Evo

really. I mean it does nada in the WRC and quite frankly all it reminds me of is that Who Am I movie with Jackie Chan.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I also have issue with the fact that Mitsubishi seems to have reliability issues, especialy with their turbo powered vehicles.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

I Support ClubWRX
    Are we forgetting that Subaru isn't the greatest in reliability? I mean every car has it's problems but let's face it, the EVO is one sweet car and if it came out at the same time as the WRX(in North America), many of us would be driving an EVO. And possibly, that's not a bad thing either. Both cars are great and in part, for their own reasons. I'd love to own an EVO VI(Extreme that is...don't you love Ralliart?). Mitsu EVOs have sharper feel, in part due to Subaru reluctance to fix a pivot design from the 80's. On the other hand, boxer engines are sweet.
    In 'Who Am I?' the EVO is version IV btw.

Are we forgetting that Subaru isn't the greatest in reliability?
    Umm, actually, Consumer Reports tied them for 1st place with Toyota for BEST reliability.

I'd love to have an EVO. One of the elite class of Japanese supercars. That's why it hasn't come over here. US manufacturers are not willing to do what it takes to build production cars of that caliber. The only stock domestic cars that would really stand a chance would be a Z06 Corvette or a Viper. The power output on most of the Japanese hypersport cars (EVO, STI, Skyline, etc.) is deliberately underrated to satisfy a technicality in their vehicle code. My wife's best friend lives in Japan and works as a translator. Her last car was a 400hp Nissan Fairlady (300ZX). She's driving an R34 Skyline right now, she claims it's around 500hp. She says she's driven several EVO's and says they are no *****in' joke. Every time she comes back to the States, she talks smack about the cars over here compared to over there.
    I doubt a real EVO will actually come to the US, though. I mean, they're in the seventh iteration of the thing, and they're just now even starting to talk about it.
    Even if it did come over here, it probably wouldn't be the same car. It'd be watered down quite a bit to satisfy the DOT, like the WRX had to be.
    I'd prefer the EVO V over EVO VII though, I like the bigger platform.
    02 WRX TXS stg.1
    93 MX6 75 shot n2o
    00 Ducati M900

OK I'm confused..I thought Japan had a limit of 280hp. Is that to ship to US or just their limit.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Japanese stock hp limits were voluntarily placed by the manufacturers at 280 hp. As far as I know, the government never set that standard. The limits were only for cars coming out of stock...in the case of many cars, such as the Skyline, the stock de-tuning can be undone with minimal modifications.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Re: How good is the Mitsu Evo

Originally posted by masanz1
    really. I mean it does nada in the WRC and quite frankly all it reminds me of is that Who Am I movie with Jackie Chan.
    "nada in the WRC"??? Dude, are you kidding? Gee, they only won the manufacturers championship in '98, '99, and '00! Tommi was driving for them, he won the driver's championship in a Mitsu in '96,'97,'98, and '99!!!!

Is this not common knowledge?

Subaru's rally success was at its peak in '95, '96, and '97. Three consecutive manufacturer's titles with Colin behind the wheel. Hopefully they can do it again this year!
    Last edited by Porter; 03-20-2002 at 06:00 AM.

Welcome to the year 2002. I guess I should have rephrased to add this year in there instead of the broad statement I made. Also of those years mentioned Mitsu only won 1 manufacturer title and weren't even close in the other years which tells one just how good Tommi is driving.
    Last edited by masanz1; 03-20-2002 at 01:03 PM.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

I can't wait to see the EVO VII arrive...goin to be one hot ride...until the sti comes!

Well let's see stop associating the Evolution with your US Mitsubishi's cause they were built by totalling different companies and under vastly different management. The Evolution hasn't had even a fraction of the problems that the Eclipse had in the US. The blocks are roughly the same but yet there were internal differences. Can a WRX bone stock run 1.4Bar of boost, come with Brembo 4 piston brakes, have an option for a RS model with no A/C or power anything so its lighter with a lower price, capable of using the e-brake to turn without damaging the cars transfercase, have huge aftermarket backing at reasonable prices, be beat on all day long and not have to worry about the transmission coming apart? I doubt the WRX meets those. I mean lets be realistic none of you have driven them, you've never worked on one and you can speculate as much as you want but in person and at a price of $28K fulling loaded out the door there is no way in hell you would have bought your WRX. Say what you want about the looks but the new WRX isn't a beutiful work of art either. The main reason that the Evo had problems in the WRC was summed up best by Tommi when he told a reporter that he wanted to leave cause Diamler now wasn't putting nearly as much money into it as when Mitsubishi made the decisions.

I'm guessing it'll be more than 28k fully loaded here. From what I've heard, the car will start at 31 or so.

Are you comparing apples to apples. NO. Compare the almighty EVO with the STI. That is more of the right comparison. Let's see I paid 23000 for my wrx add 5000 into that and yes my wrx will do all stated and then some. Besides which that EVO is butt ugly, at least the pix are. I have to wait and see. In the meantime I found this article...scroll down a bit.

STI vs EVO

Originally posted by RNN14
    Well let's see stop associating the Evolution with your US Mitsubishi's cause they were built by totalling different companies and under vastly different management. The Evolution hasn't had even a fraction of the problems that the Eclipse had in the US. The blocks are roughly the same but yet there were internal differences. Can a WRX bone stock run 1.4Bar of boost, come with Brembo 4 piston brakes, have an option for a RS model with no A/C or power anything so its lighter with a lower price, capable of using the e-brake to turn without damaging the cars transfercase, have huge aftermarket backing at reasonable prices, be beat on all day long and not have to worry about the transmission coming apart? I doubt the WRX meets those. I mean lets be realistic none of you have driven them, you've never worked on one and you can speculate as much as you want but in person and at a price of $28K fulling loaded out the door there is no way in hell you would have bought your WRX. Say what you want about the looks but the new WRX isn't a beutiful work of art either. The main reason that the Evo had problems in the WRC was summed up best by Tommi when he told a reporter that he wanted to leave cause Diamler now wasn't putting nearly as much money into it as when Mitsubishi made the decisions.
    Last edited by masanz1; 03-20-2002 at 02:14 PM.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

I think some people just refuse to admit another make of car is better or even worth owning and no I'm not talking about the V8 crowd. Add $5,000 to the cost of your WRX and what do you get? The best SCC has shown is a high 12 second car. Why is it when a Subaru owner wants to show the Subaru is the better car they always dig out that lame ass Top Gear article or the one from AutoCar. Hmmm let's see the STI was seriously more expensive then the Evo7 and the thing that they liked best was its smooth ride. Its a sports car not a Cadillac. Thanks for the webpage trying to sell mags but I was talking about people who have seen and driven them first hand and not a magazine because we all know just how accurate and fair they are. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on either of the cars since I can buy a R32 GTR for $6K or $7K US. Then again I don't live in that automobile hell called the US.

take a pill. If you dislike subaru so much get off the board. The article, if you actually read it, i doubt it, had the EVO on top. you're an SCC reader are you, figures...we had people getting 12.3 on this board. Seeing how this is a Subaru board one would think we would talk highly of our cars. I know there are better cars out there and personally I enjoy my ducati 996 more than my scooby but like I said this is a WRX board. BTW what do you drive??.
    Last edited by masanz1; 03-20-2002 at 05:40 PM.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.