WRX or Saab 9-3 Arc
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or Saab 9-3 Arc within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off let me say I've got a GM supplier discount to bring the two cars to an equal footing ...

WRX or Saab 9-3 Arc

First off let me say I've got a GM supplier discount to bring the two cars to an equal footing price wise.

I have an RSX that was nailed by a drunk driver. I'm going to be selling it and getting a new car. As much as I loved that car, I'm not going to buy the same car twice. Something with a similar feel to that car is what I'm looking for.

I was seriously sold on the '04 WRX with the premium package. Then I drove the 9-3 Arc. Now I'm torn. I'd be getting the 6 speed.

The new 9-3s solved all of the torque steer and turbo lag problems Saab had been known for. They come with more amenities than you can shake a stick it. And they make a great sleeper with a classy and unique look. The stock turbo is supposed to be good for low 14s and there are several performance chips and aftermarket turbos to be had to go even faster if you care to. And it's got true luxury car features.

Anyone else compare these cars while shopping?

I've also looked at the Accord Coupe, Mazda 6, and TSX. I'm looking for something that's sporty, fun to drive, and reliable. I don't really race and I'm not into modding yet. But I love a spirited drive on winding roads as much as the next guy.

Tempted to hold out for the 9-2(WRX in Saab's clothing) next year as well.
    Last edited by NoUse4aName; 07-27-2003 at 01:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I am from Sweden so I am biased. I have a WRX and have test driven the new 9-3. It all depends upon what you like. Reliability is great with both cars. The Saab is aimed more towards comfort and luxury. The Subaru is more towards performance and fun. If I made long trips the Saab would be an easy choice (I drove 8 hrs straight in the Subaru ONCE!). However, I like to modify towards extreme performance and the Saab cannot support that area as well as the Subaru. Both cars do have their own "cult" following in the States and are not high volume autos. It is down to personal taste. Good luck!

Another thing the Saab had going for it. It's dirt cheap to insure vs a WRX or my RSX. But it's in the same territory performance wise and is more expensive, go figure.

I don't know anything about SAAB reliability. Or really any modern turbo car. I've just got the brainwashed turbo=bad image going. But I know that's not necessarily true anymore.

I know the resale value isn't that great since it's such a niche market car. But the substantial discount I'm getting will counteract that.

Ike
    I'd be pretty surprised if the Saab was really that much cheaper in insure than the WRX. I think I pay about $10 more a month over my 95 Nissan Maxima, and I'm sure most of that was because of the value of the car.

I'll tell you the same thing I told you on the RSX boards, hold out for the saab 9-2 if you can wait that long

Well I actually got quotes. The 9-3 only cost me $600/6 months. The WRX costs me $970.

Ike
    Youch, I pay less than 500 every 6 mos. for the WRX and I live in a pretty high insurance rate area.

I pay just around $400..every 6 months. I live just 10 minutes from the Tijuana Mexico border.

Not to go too off topic, but what insurance companies are you guys with (Nouseforaname, IKE, and EionJess)? I'm in PA, and I havn't found anything less than 800/ 6 mo.....
    thanks..
    Brandon

EDIT:This is for full/premium coverage with collision Ded. at 1,000 and comprehensive at 250.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

Originally posted by BrandonWRX
    Not to go too off topic, but what insurance companies are you guys with (Nouseforaname, IKE, and EionJess)? I'm in PA, and I havn't found anything less than 800/ 6 mo.....
    thanks..
    Brandon

EDIT:This is for full/premium coverage with collision Ded. at 1,000 and comprehensive at 250.
    I am with 21st Century Insurance...full coverage. Had them for years. My wife and I both get the Professional discounts so that does help in the price.

If the 9-3 is the turbo Saab, I know this doesn't help much for comparison...but some ass around here kept messing with me (STi) so I completely destroyed him. If you take a lot of long trips, go Saab. I've had to do multiple 9 hour trips in a WRX and in the STi...not the most comfortable thing.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

I would go with the Rex personally.. although that is ofcourse a biased opinion, but i have driven both. The Saab had its upsides, especially the posh amenities and all of that luxury stuff... however I drive a whole lot, and would really rather drive the Rex on such a long trip, I feel more connected to the drive and won't fall asleep or relax too much and possibly hurt something.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Ike
    I'm with American Family, I get a multiple car/good driver/preferred customer discount though. Plus I'm 28 and ages makes a pretty big difference.

Ike

The Saab's are very nice, but they will always appear to be sort of yuppyish...something the WRX will never be accused of. That in itself should allow you to choose the right one for your image.
    Not all who wander are lost

Get the Saab if you like watching all the WRX passing you all the time

Originally posted by BrandonWRX
    thanks..
    Brandon

I'm with USAA(have to have some sort of military affliliation to get in)
    25/single
    $250 collision $100 comprehensive
    Comes out to around $670/6 months for my base RSX
    Varies a lot by location of course, but I imagine PA isn't that much different.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.