WRX or Saab 9-3 Arc - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX or Saab 9-3 Arc within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Strider The Saab's are very nice, but they will always appear to be sort of yuppyish...something the ...

Originally posted by Strider
    The Saab's are very nice, but they will always appear to be sort of yuppyish...something the WRX will never be accused of. That in itself should allow you to choose the right one for your image.
    Eh, they both seem to have their quirky crowds.

The 9-3 sure is pretty though

Would be able to "grow into" the 9-3, getting married soon, etc
    While still having a good performance oriented car

Although the WRX is definitely the performance beast for
    today....might be my last chance for a pseudo sports car in my
    20's.

Choices choices. It may even come down to how good of a deal I
    can swing on either car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saabwaxed.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Err...a Saab 9-3 Arc isn't in the same league, performance-wise, as a WRX. High 7's to 60. However, it's a lovely car. My brother wants to get one to replace his Corrado VR6.
    2010 SSM STI

how much are you getting the saab for? maybe you should take a look at other cars as well. esp infiniti g35, which imo is the best bang for the buck, by far, in the entry luxury class.

I'd be getting the Saab for around $25k. The only reason why I'm even considering a car in that class. Couldn't afford the G35 or any others without that discount I'd get on the Saab.

Get a $32k luxury car for 25...or spend 25 on a performance beast.

Apparently with one of the Saab superchips their straight line performance can be brought up to par with a WRX. But that's certainly not what that car is all about. It's the luxury route at a discount. In theory the resale value would be more than I paid the moment I drove off the lot...hard to beat that.

Originally posted by WilliamG
    Err...a Saab 9-3 Arc isn't in the same league, performance-wise, as a WRX. High 7's to 60. However, it's a lovely car. My brother wants to get one to replace his Corrado VR6.
    Is that in the automatic? That's what most reviews say, but most reviews are of the auto. However, I hear the 6 speed is in the high 6's.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by NoUse4aName
    Is that in the automatic? That's what most reviews say, but most reviews are of the auto. However, I hear the 6 speed is in the high 6's.
    You could well be right. Is the Arc the same as the Aero? (UK name or something...)
    2010 SSM STI

Yeah the Arc is essentially the Aero with a few less options, same engine and all the basics though. The vector IS the Aero.

The Vector is being renamed the Aero here in the states for '04

Since it's such a new engine I'm having difficulty finding an at the wheels dyno. Just a couple in Greece and Spain(the european spec car is actually identical to the US). Certainly not what I'm used to coming out of an Honda/Acura where they keep the best for their home market. But what mention I have found says that the engine is actually underrated by Saab(210hp/221tq) and makes more at the wheels(219 hp). It looks to be an incredible sleeper due to how well it responds to ecu and turbo mods too.

A few US sites are indeed rating the 6speed 0-60 time in the 6.7-6.9 range stock with a 1/4 in the low 14's.

And you know what they say, "If it's on the Internet, it must be true"

Most problems with the car seem to be tied to the GM related features like On-Star. But the basics of the car are solid. The stereo is incredibly difficult to replace since it's tied in with the car's computer display and software. But the stock stereo setup is a 300watt 13 speaker monster anyway.

I'm thinking it's just going to come down to how much the dealers are willing to deal to determine which car I get.

I found this to be a shocker. Subaru is on par with GM in terms of repair work service calls? I was expecting the Subies to be up around Honda and Saab to be closer to the bottom. Turns out they're about equal.

"Which cars need repairs

Percentage of each brand's vehicles going in for service that needed repairs:

Manufacturer 1999 2003
    Buick 38% 21%
    Honda 31% 22%
    Toyota 25% 22%
    Lexus 36% 24%
    Acura 30% 25%
    Mitsubishi 37% 28%
    Suzuki 39% 29%
    Saturn 39% 31%
    Infiniti 29% 31%
    Mazda 35% 32%
    Isuzu 53% 33%