03Cobra highway pull and 0-160 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03Cobra highway pull and 0-160 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by THE ONE Yeah, not too smart, but it's one fast car. We have all sone stupid high ...

Originally posted by THE ONE
    Yeah, not too smart, but it's one fast car. We have all sone stupid high speed pulls though.
    guilty

Cool video, 440 or less sounds right on the money. My freind has one with those basic mods, runs high 11s with drag radials it's amazing how fast they are with only a few thousand spent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's one crazy video...

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Do you watch the rear view mirror when you drive a 03 Cobra? I would. Sounds like the cops are always behind you. Sick car though, thats for sure.

Is that your supercharger or a small crying baby LOL

Steve

I Support ClubWRX
    I would hate the sound of the SC.... It's just too loud and annoying... It's awesome in that car because that's the only time I'll ever hear it....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

For those of you that have a problem with the supercharger sound, I have a comment. I don't know if it matters or not, but when you aren't accelerating hard, the supercharger doesn't make a sound. All you hear is the normal engine noise. I don't think that most people would have a problem with that kind of whine that lasts for 4 or 5 seconds during brisk acceleration.

Consider all the WRX owners that remove silencers, install noisy blowoff valves, and put on loud exhausts. With the exception of the silencer, the other two mods are far more intrusive and occur more often than brief trips into the positive side of the boost gauge on the Cobra.

I Support ClubWRX
    Typhoon, to me, there is a difference between a BOV sound or an exhaust note and that banshee scream. Granted, it does sound bada$$... there's no doubt about that. But to hear that every time I go WOT.... I'd go crazy! As it is, with my intake I can hear the turbo spooling. It's not loud, but I can hear it, and that's too loud as far as I'm concerned. For that SC whine to be louder and more audible in the cabin than the exhaust (that's how it seemed in that video) it must be extremely loud... too loud.

That being said, if you gave me an 03 SVT Cobra, I'd take it
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

The scream of the supercharger is surprisingly addictive. I recently sold my Lightning, and it uses the same SC as the Cobra. You are completely correct that when you are at WOT, the SC drowns out all of the engine noise. The best part about that is the fact that everyone around you is hearing that banshee wail too! I got on it next to an M3 owner that was trying to squirt around me as we made a turn and I ripped by him. The look on his face was classic as he looked at the engine area of my truck wondering what the hell that screaming was as I pulled away from him! I loved it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Like I said, definitely bada$$... It would make me do a double-take, that's for sure. I was just talking to a muscle-car buddy of mine.... his dad has a car (he told me what it was and I of course forgot) with a SC that apparently you can hear from a few blocks away.... that's just rediculous.... and I thought my BOV invited interesting looks!!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

And the scream/whine of the SC only gets worse when you switch the pulley to overdrive the unit. Not sure if the one in the vid had changed the pulley or not?
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Judging by previous posts in this thread, I would think that he does have a different pulley.

I can't believe you guys actually found this video. That's my car. You can find the full details on the car on the site. The car is just BPU with a 2.80" pulley, chip, intake, catback and o/r x-pipe. Dynoed 460 RWHP and 501 RWTQ SAE. I had Jon and his brother with me during those runs. The car will run a lot quicker without the extra weight.

btw, it wasn't to 160, it was only to 155 on a straight, smooth, no traffic highway.
    2003 SVT Cobra Coupe, BPU+
    - 14.5 @ 101 MPH
    - Slow snake = STi food (come get some )

Originally posted by CustomS10
    yes that car is just awesome!!!! I have another video of it looks like the same guy with a couple races against a modded fox and then an SS camaro. needless to say the cobra smokes them both
    Nope. Not me. That wasn't me against the modded fox or SS camaro. If you look on that site, you'll find another vid of my car vs. a full BPU 98 Supra on race gas!

(incase you guys do find that vid, it seems like I left on the 2nd honk, but we both left on the third honk at the same time. We just cut the first honk off due to the vid showing the supra driver's face.)
    Last edited by Fragbait; 07-30-2003 at 05:26 PM.
    2003 SVT Cobra Coupe, BPU+
    - 14.5 @ 101 MPH
    - Slow snake = STi food (come get some )

Originally posted by Fragbait
    Nope. Not me. That wasn't me against the modded fox or SS camaro. If you look on that site, you'll find another vid of my car vs. a full BPU 98 Supra on race gas!

(incase you guys do find that vid, it seems like I left on the 2nd honk, but we both left on the third honk at the same time. We just cut the first honk off due to the vid showing the supra driver's face.)
    i have that vid it looks to be a red supra with greddy on the side right. if thats the one u got 0wn3d by that supra. was a sweeeet race tho
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

hmm

14.5? that's a joke to annoy people right? My buddy's '03 ran 12.0 with a few mods......as for sti food, that remains to be seen....haven't caught one on the road to see how the two cars compare but there sure is enough scuttlebutt on here to make it an interesting discussion...if you read the post about the stock sti running 12.75/12.79 on sport compact car testing, I think it would be an interesting race.......especially if the road is not straight... my hunch is you will become a quick meal
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast