SRT-4 test drive
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on SRT-4 test drive within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yesterday I had the chance to test drive a yellow SRT-4. So i'll give a full write up on it. ...

SRT-4 test drive

Yesterday I had the chance to test drive a yellow SRT-4. So i'll give a full write up on it.

My first impression of the exterior was, it's not as ugly as I expected, but it could do without the fake hood scoop. The FMIC looks mean! It looks a littler higher off the ground than in the pictures, but still not that bad.

Interior was cheap, that's for sure. Although the guages were pretty nice. Seats were very grippy, but not very comfortable. I hate the damn roll down windows in the rear. The rear seats were pretty descent, and good footroom for such a small car.

Now to the performance. The shifter is very sloppy and not very precise. I missed 3rd a few times. The clutch is very light for an American car, lets out at the top, and you have to let it out very carefully or you can easily chirp the tires just trying to take off slow.

The power delivery was much like a wrx. Descent until 3k rpms, then all hell breaks loose(but in this case so do the tires). From a stop, I mashed the gas and car took off then got to about 4k and the tires slipped and spun all the way to redline. Shifting into 2nd it is really easy to get the tires to break lose again. The exhaust is very loud and drones at cruising speeds.

I didn't get a chance to test the handling, but the ride felt very firm and the brakes felt pretty responsive.

Since this was the only other car I'm even slightly considering getting besides a WRX, I'm glad I drove it. It's definitely faster than a wrx, but there is no way in hell you can drive it in the rain with the traction issues. And with as much highway driving as I do, the exhaust would get annoying and the seats would not be comfortable for a 300 mile round trip once a month.

I have much respect for this car after driving it, it's a beast from the factory with alot of tuning potential, but it's just not the car for me.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    I like the srt-4 but never seen one on the road. I truely think they are made more for the 16-25 years old. But like you said they can be tuned to become a beast. I think in the long run the will become the next exclipse.

OT- So have you decided on a car yet?

Tom
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

Originally posted by Jack

OT- So have you decided on a car yet?

Tom
    Yep. I'm currently looking for a used 02-03 wrx sedan w/ low miles and none or minor mods. Hard to find in this area.

Originally posted by aheineken
    Yep. I'm currently looking for a used 02-03 wrx sedan w/ low miles and none or minor mods. Hard to find in this area.
    I think thats hard to find in any area.

Cool SRT-4........

went to local dodge dealer for the wife's durango.. they have 3of the SRT-4's in stock... they don't look bad, but the traction i believe is going to be more than a hand full to handle.. most kids buying this car are going to need to learn to launch this thing or do highway runs only... no if the WRX is stock.. that's a different story.. one things for sure, with all these choices for turbo cars and there tuning potential alot of V8 lovers are'nt going to be happy
    it's stock really....

You guys did hear that Dodge is offering some sort of engine upgrade right? Pushes the car up another 20 horses. Won't even void the warranty. I still don't know though.
    Matt in ATL

2002 White Protege5
    17" Black Racing Sparcos - Eibach Springs - True HID Conversion - Leather Interior - Silver Carbon Fiber Dash Kit - Silver Carbon Fiber Gauge Bezel - Cerwin Vega 10" Sub - JL Audio Components - JL Audio Amps - JVC Headunit - AEM Intake - DG Carbon Fiber Eyelids - DG Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers - DaveB Gauge Rings - Autoexe Grill
    The biggest problem with the SRT-4 is, it's a ****ing Neon.
    Coming Later: Nothing for a while

Originally posted by pro5man
    You guys did hear that Dodge is offering some sort of engine upgrade right? Pushes the car up another 20 horses. Won't even void the warranty. I still don't know though.
    I heard about that. Mopar is offering stage 1-3 kits. Right now only stage 1 is available. It's like an ECU and something else for 400 bucks and it gives 20 whp w/ full warranty coverage. I think the Stage 3 is susposed to give 300hp. People with that will be buying new tires every couple weeks.

Originally posted by Shard
    I think thats hard to find in any area.

Not too hard. I have one.

Don't know if I'm going to sell it yet though.

STi calls...

Where do you live, where you can't find a used WRX with low miles. I have 4k on my 03 with no mods except XM radio and I'd sell it for the right price. But, I do live in Central Illinois.

Originally posted by aheineken
    I heard about that. Mopar is offering stage 1-3 kits. Right now only stage 1 is available. It's like an ECU and something else for 400 bucks and it gives 20 whp w/ full warranty coverage. I think the Stage 3 is susposed to give 300hp. People with that will be buying new tires every couple weeks.
    I didn't know they were coming out with more too. Interesting.
    Matt in ATL

2002 White Protege5
    17" Black Racing Sparcos - Eibach Springs - True HID Conversion - Leather Interior - Silver Carbon Fiber Dash Kit - Silver Carbon Fiber Gauge Bezel - Cerwin Vega 10" Sub - JL Audio Components - JL Audio Amps - JVC Headunit - AEM Intake - DG Carbon Fiber Eyelids - DG Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers - DaveB Gauge Rings - Autoexe Grill
    The biggest problem with the SRT-4 is, it's a ****ing Neon.
    Coming Later: Nothing for a while

Hey guys, I can offer you a little insight. First, the hood scoop is functional. If you pop the hood, you will see that it channels air to the front and rear of the engine. A majority of the air gets channeled to the rear where the turbo is located.

Mopar, as of right now, is offering 4 staged packages.

Stage 1: New PCM and 527cc/min @58psi injectors. Dynoed at 238/262 to the wheels (out now- $328.00)

Prototype Stage 2: New PCM, 682cc/min injectors, wastegate, 3 Bar MAP sensor, 3 bar TIP sensor, IC water sprayer, and "dial-a-boost" w/race gas selector. Mopar 2.5" cat-back is optional. Dynoed at 256/297 at the wheels. (Dec 2003 target date)

Stage 3: TBD, but will have a TD05HR-15GK2 turbo upgrade in it.

Stage 3R: TBD, but will have a TD05HR-15GK2 turbo upgrade in it and cat delete. Offroad use only.

Mine BTW, dynoed at 228/250 stock to the wheels.

Yes, traction is an issue, that is why I have a EBC with scramble boost. Launch at 8psi and hit the magic little button to put me to 16psi.

The 2004 SRT-4 will have an LSD as std equipment.

I hope this helps clear some things up!!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Originally posted by oberkfell
    Where do you live, where you can't find a used WRX with low miles. I have 4k on my 03 with no mods except XM radio and I'd sell it for the right price. But, I do live in Central Illinois.
    Memphis, TN area.

Not all the upgrades keep the warranty intact. GT Cruiser owners were having a fit over staged upgrades until someone pointed out that they aren't covered by the warranty...more so when they realized they coulda done like me and just buy a turbo kit and do whatever they want.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Originally posted by renichms
    Not all the upgrades keep the warranty intact. GT Cruiser owners were having a fit over staged upgrades until someone pointed out that they aren't covered by the warranty...more so when they realized they coulda done like me and just buy a turbo kit and do whatever they want.

RN
    RN, it all depends on the servicing dealer! I've got mine inline!

Buying a turbo kit for the GT Cruiser/SRT-4 is immposible right now. The turbo in this car is reverse flow AND it is all one unit. By that, I mean the wastegate, surge valve, turbo are ALL bolted to the exhaust manifold. Noone has come out with a complete kit as of yet, but I do believe there are a few shops working on it!!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Those are some great upgrades to that car...make me want one now...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.