Big Block El Camino Vs. Stock WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Big Block El Camino Vs. Stock WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; No it wasn't a race, but it was fun. Took my buddy's Elkie out today. 468 ci, 450+ hp, 500+ ...

Big Block El Camino Vs. Stock WRX

No it wasn't a race, but it was fun.
    Took my buddy's Elkie out today. 468 ci, 450+ hp, 500+ ft-lb, Richmond Gear 6 speed, curb weight about 3300 lbs. Holy Jesus. This thing will snap your neck off. Left about 100 ft of rubber in 1st and another 50 in 2nd on the first run. Sounded like a whole NASCAR race was happening in the engine compartment. Wheelspin on demand in 1st through 4th gears. Second run I just tried to shift slow and let it hook up and man it was great.

Then I took another friend out in the WRX. He drives a 383 stroker Camaro and hadn't ridden in the Elkie yet. I do a 4500 rpm full on launch. Passenger was like "holy **** this thing is fast, nice car!"
    I was like "WTF something is wrong with my car?!?" I launched again to make sure, and nothing was wrong with the car. It's just that after the Elkie my car felt like a POS.
    Classic domestics rule.

PS Next time we're going out in his "sporty car."
    1955 Austin Healey 100.

With a fuel injected 327.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Classic domestics are nice for strait line 1/4 mile sprints, Foreign classics are the best for road racing and handling. Give me a classic Porsche, Ferrari, Sunbeam, or BMW any day.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Originally posted by fengshui
    Porsche, Ferrari, Sunbeam, or BMW any day.

chris
    Sunbeam....antique brakes=scary, scary interstate encounters.

Friends dad has a Sunbeam(Tiger) with the 289 in it. Oodles of fun to stomp on the gas, but slowing down is a hair-raising event. A guy in a C5 rolled up next to us at around 60 mph, and gave me a thumbs up, so I did too, and promptly stomped on the gas. Ran it up to 90ish, Vette fella paced me and gave me two thumbs up. Now was the time to slow down. Not so much. If there had been traffic, I woulda been in some serious trouble.

Eh well, antique cars aren't supposed to act like modern ones, I just know now not to overextend the brakes.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Actually the Elkie has a Hotchkiss suspension, Bilsteins, huge aftermarket brakes, etc. Probably would outhandle and outbrake a stock Euro car of the late 60's without too much trouble.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.