Me vs VW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Me vs VW within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was heading up Route 1 (the Boulevard) last night a little after 9. This VW passes me on the ...

Me vs VW

I was heading up Route 1 (the Boulevard) last night a little after 9. This VW passes me on the left and revs as he goes by. Couldn’t tell what it was, totally de-badged. I was thinking oh this will be fun. So we come to a red light, I’m in the right lane, somebody else in the middle, he’s in the left. He revs, I rev back. Hold it around 5k, light goes green and I’m out…wasn’t even close. I just jump ahead and don’t even look back.

Next red light we’re all in the same lanes still, but he doesn’t rev so I don’t think he’s gonna go again. Light goes green and neither of us really launches, but after a second he punches it. When I floor it I’m only around 2500 rpm’s so he gets out about a car length ahead…and stays there. I was like WTF?! We stayed pretty even. By the time I shift to fourth I know it’s over, I might have caught up about a foot, and was just like damn. Then he put his flashers on, so I hang my head in shame. He slows down a bit and I pull up next to him and just kinda laugh at myself and shrug. He gives me thumbs up so I return and we go on our merry ways.

Then this guy and his girl in an older Protégé get up next to me (on my right and the window is up) and he’s hanging out the window hollering and waving his arms around. Crap. So I roll the window down and he’s like “What the hell was that? How did you not beat him? I know I can smoke him and you can smoke me!” I just said I got a bad launch and he just kinda laughs, so I did too. Then the guy in that was between us (don’t know what he was driving, but it must have been cool because he had blue turn signal bulbs ) drives buy and shakes his head. I said to my girl “I’m so friggin embarrassed”, and then she says “I’m embarrassed for you too!” Wonderful.

So I think I’m gonna chalk this one up as a bad launch and I wasn’t boosting enough. I was spiking pretty bad on the way to fengshui’s place for Plat’s b-day extravaganza day 1, so I turned it down a bit. I was only hitting about 13.7 psi (like .095 on the factory gauge) in 3rd. I’ll have to fix that tonight. I’m guessing it was a GTI VR6 for him it to have been so close. Does it sound like he’s stock? It kinda surprised me that we stayed pretty even; even if he did get a little jump on me. Oh well, better get them up/down pipes in like now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

O Jared
    -Mitch
    Perrin uppipe
    Perrin Pulley
    Stealthback exhaust
    Magnaflow Muffler
    MBC
    TXS UTEC Stage 3 kit (just installed)
    Samco IC Hoses
    H&R Springs (just installed)
    Roof mount antenna (not installed yet)
    JUN (replica) Eyelids

Are you stock? If so then it coulda been a chipped 1.8T. A chipped 1.8T is a good match for a wrx that doesn't get a launch.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

Originally posted by WRXless
    Are you stock? If so then it coulda been a chipped 1.8T. A chipped 1.8T is a good match for a wrx that doesn't get a launch.

I talked to his fiance and she said it was an '04 Vdub bus

j/k Jared
    -Mitch
    Perrin uppipe
    Perrin Pulley
    Stealthback exhaust
    Magnaflow Muffler
    MBC
    TXS UTEC Stage 3 kit (just installed)
    Samco IC Hoses
    H&R Springs (just installed)
    Roof mount antenna (not installed yet)
    JUN (replica) Eyelids

Re: Me vs VW

Originally posted by kushdogg
    I’m guessing it was a GTI VR6 for him it to have been so close. Does it sound like he’s stock? It kinda surprised me that we stayed pretty even; even if he did get a little jump on me. Oh well, better get them up/down pipes in like now.
    Don't feel bad, man. It sounds like he got the jump on you and you went WOT at 2500rpms there after. Overall, not too bad if you ask me. Now if you were at like 4k rpms when you realized that he punched it then I think that you probably would've pulled him a bit and then the race would've evened out with you in the lead.

BTW, if it was a VR6 it would've had a distinctive deep growl (that's the only way I know how to describe it). Nice sounding engines!
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

WRXless,
    All I have is an MBC that was set too low.

Mitch,
    Kiss my ass!

Boosted,
    Did sound like a little louder than normal. And yeah it probably would have been different if I had some spool.

i guess you got caught off guard!

How much does passenger weigh? Might have been a factor. Just a thought.

Originally posted by driverj
    That's messed up d00d.
    It sounds like you're implying his fiance is fat.

Originally posted by PKer
    That's messed up d00d.
    No implying here. Just an innocent question.

PKer is trying to cause trouble...

Originally posted by PKer
    That's messed up d00d.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I told the world how much she weighs LOL...anyway, no weight really isn't a factor.

LOL, I wasn't trying to cause trouble. I thought you were the one stirring it up.
    No worries!

LOL! meaning to or not, that was pretty harsh with the weight comment
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

hmm...a vr6 you say? im surprised you had problems....bout a month ago i ran one from a stop...

the guy pulled up next to me and when the light goes green he just launches it, i think "oh crap" and punch it. he loses traction and it was even till i hit 2nd then just pulled away...ive been curious as to what kinda motors they have in em...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast