Me against a new M3 SMG
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Me against a new M3 SMG within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I raced an M3 SMG my freind just got, from a second gear roll on the highway. He got the ...

Thumbs up Me against a new M3 SMG (story not vid.)

I raced an M3 SMG my freind just got, from a second gear roll on the highway.

He got the jump on me (or went WOT first) and took half a car right away, by the end of second he had almost a car length on me.. In 3rd gear I started pulling back slowly, and in 4th gear at about 110mph I got right next to him and even pulled ahead alittle to about 120mph!

Not so bad for a stock turbo car; In his defense he had a passenger and I didn't, plus the driver weighed about 250lbs. alone. But still, it's an M3 on the highway so i felt good about it

be safe!
    paul

sidestory, there was also an SLK32 AMG with minor mods in the mix.. making about 330+RWHP out of a SOHC supercharged V6. As you can imagine it was FAST! Last time I raced him he beat me by school bus lengths
    Last edited by PaulRex; 07-25-2003 at 01:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think he let off the gas and started coasting after 80mph....
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    3" custom cat-back w/ glass pack
    Gruppe-S uppipe

Hehe.. nope Like I said he weighs like 250lbs. and he had a passenger, thats like 350lbs. in the car probably maybe thats why it didn't pull that hard, but he was definatly on it the whole way

I'm talking about it with my other freind now and he thinks that maybe the car isn't running up to par? The car is brand new though it sounded fine to me..

m3 convertible (heavier than coupe), plus the fact that its an auto, plus the extra weight, i guess that sounds about right...
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

Originally posted by BassMan097
    m3 convertible (heavier than coupe), plus the fact that its an auto, plus the extra weight, i guess that sounds about right...
    An SMG car isn't an auto but you're right on the other counts.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

new M3's sport 333hp last i checked... it's not THAT much more weight to overcome 106hp difference between the cars... i love our cars, but i'd have picked the M3. now the STi, different story
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Originally posted by Lightning
    new M3's sport 333hp last i checked... it's not THAT much more weight to overcome 106hp difference between the cars... i love our cars, but i'd have picked the M3. now the STi, different story
    Well some modded stock turbo wrx's have put down 230-240WHP, thats about 280-300hp, so the M3 might not have had an 106hp advantage.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    I dont know about this...anything's possible, but I've run a few new m3's and more than a few WRX's, and the difference is rediculous...can bolt ons make that much difference?!
    2003 SRT-4

I thought the car was stock (WRX), I can't see how in the world that could happen, that extra weight should have made enough of a difference for you to pull ahead. That just seems impossible to me.

the WRX is not stock...

What he meant is that his WRX is on the stock turbo. I believe paul has a stage II wrx, and if i remember right he uses a utec that is also mapped for 100+ octane. So he is not stock, he just has the stock turbo maxed out. Hes probably running close to 230 whp. So if the BMW is brand new and not broken in, i can see how its possible that he kept up, and plus that BMW was hauling more weight.

-BobbyD

The stock turbo isn't maxed out at 230 whp. My TurboXS Stage 3 dyno'd almost 250 at the wheels on TurboXS's dyno with the help of Nathan's dyno tune.

Carl,
    your turbo is "huffing and a puffing!" That's some good power you are kicking out of that turbo. What boost are you maxing out at and do you hold 14 psi to readline?

I believe his story. I have an 02 with Strumong cat-back, Bosal DP, STI uppipe, K&N filter and Ecutek 91 octane. I raced a HARD TOP 6sp M3 on the freeway from a 3rd gear roll. I kept ahead until about a 95-100MPH, and by 120MPH he had me by about 2 cars. The convertible makes a big weight difference. here are the stats.

Here are the best times I've seen:

Convertible M3:

0-60= 5.1
    1/4= 13.7

Hardtop:

0-60= 4.7
    1/4= 13.2

I'd have to check my dyno files for sure on the boost question but it's a straight TurboXS Stage 3 (with a good dyno/road tune)running on 94 octane Sunoco Ultra. I believe the peak boost is around 16lbs or so.

See www.turboxs.com for more info on the Stage 3 package.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.