Will a chipped GTI beat ME ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Will a chipped GTI beat ME ??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My friend just chipped his '02 GTI the other day and took me for a ride. It's really *****ing fast ...

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Exclamation Will a chipped GTI beat ME ???

My friend just chipped his '02 GTI the other day and took me for a ride. It's really *****ing fast and he claims the output is now 210hp and 240 lbs/ft... all of his VW boys are talking s*it that it will now smoke a stock WRX any day. My concern is, w/ no other mods but the chip, is all the smack talk accurate? If so, what would be the outcome if I ran a stage1 against his chipped GTI???
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    if you really suck as a driver, and he's a better driver....well he stands a good chance of winning.
    Last edited by tan; 07-24-2003 at 02:29 PM.

What exactly do you mean?...both cars are even and it's up to the driver? (regarding stock WRX vs chipped GTI)
    PICS & MODS

If he has an APR chip w/ 100 octane, he'll most likely take you on the freeway.. off the line you'll still kick his ass. The only time that he'll take you rolling is if he has 100 octane gas w/ an APR chip that has the 100 octane mode.

Read this:

stock WRX VS. modded GTI 1.8T

I got you AWD Turbo 4, he WILL own me on the highway anyday. But, are you sure my stock WRX can take him on the street?
    PICS & MODS

I'm tempted to call BS on AWD turbo 4's post about his GTi encounters. But he says its his friend so who knows...

All I know is I raced a 02 GTi thursday night. He had intake, chip, and full exhaust. I probbaly put about a car on him by 85 from a 10 mph roll. The stock WRX's I've raced I put atleast a buslength on from a roll. I would think a chipped GTi and a stock WRX wouuld be good from a roll, 100 octane or not. intake/chip/exhaust will pull a stock WRX HARD. 1.8t's are no joke. Respect the VDub
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Originally posted by Simp
    I'm tempted to call BS on AWD turbo 4's post about his GTi encounters. But he says its his friend so who knows...

All I know is I raced a 02 GTi thursday night. He had intake, chip, and full exhaust. I probbaly put about a car on him by 85 from a 10 mph roll. The stock WRX's I've raced I put atleast a buslength on from a roll. I would think a chipped GTi and a stock WRX wouuld be good from a roll, 100 octane or not. intake/chip/exhaust will pull a stock WRX HARD. 1.8t's are no joke. Respect the VDub
    SOUTHPAW only mentioned that the guy has a chip!
    no intake and no full exhaust......The 100 octane mode makes a HUGE, and I mean a HUGE difference. If you are unsure of it, ask the VW guys. I've experienced the 100 vs. 91, on 100 he'd pull 4-5 cars, and on 91 we'd be dead even. the VW exhaust system is very restrictive, so I don't know how good just a chip is going to perform. SOUTHPAW, racing off a roll, don't even worry a bit about losing if he is running 91 OCTANE. And from a stop, I wouldn't even call it a race.

Please let me know how it turns out...

Me vs VW

I don't know about this 91 octane nonsense. I guess every city/state is different, cause high-test here is 93 octane. Anyway, all I was tryin to say is that a chipped 93 octane 1.8T will put up a fight to a stock wrx from a roll. I'd even give the edge to the 1.8t. From a stop its no contest.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

My freinds 1.8T GTI runs high 14s@95ish mph, he has a chip, and a turboback exhuast.

A stock turbo wrx with bolt ons should be able to beat one in the 1/4mile and from a roll if he only has a chip and exhuast like my freinds VW.

02 gti 1.8t with apr93 chip, intake and bigger diverter valve WP - 14.18 @ 97.05 2.201 60". he used to spank me from a 40mph roll when i was near stock. but from a stop you will stay ahead for awhile. goodluck

The next time I see him we aregoing to run just to end the ever burning question. Next month, I will have a stage1 Txs chip though...
    PICS & MODS

Well I've raced AWD Turbo 4 a couple times.. he beat me both times.

But recently I've raced three different WRX's up at Sacromento race way.

The WRX's were all stock, one a wagon auto, the other two were Sedan's both 5 speeds..

I beat them all.. the wagon was 15.0 flat all day long. launch from 4K to 5K

Both the sedans were 5speeds stock, well they both and intakes that was it.. I'll call that stock.

One was pulling down 14.6's while the other one was pulling 14.8's

There were two others that I didn't line up with. They both had stage II kits. one was pulling down 13.6's while the other was pulling down 14.0 flat.. I pulled down a 14.422 that day but..
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

Originally posted by whodeani
    Well I've raced AWD Turbo 4 a couple times.. he beat me both times.

But recently I've raced three different WRX's up at Sacromento race way.

The WRX's were all stock, one a wagon auto, the other two were Sedan's both 5 speeds..

I beat them all.. the wagon was 15.0 flat all day long. launch from 4K to 5K

Both the sedans were 5speeds stock, well they both and intakes that was it.. I'll call that stock.

One was pulling down 14.6's while the other one was pulling 14.8's

There were two others that I didn't line up with. They both had stage II kits. one was pulling down 13.6's while the other was pulling down 14.0 flat.. I pulled down a 14.422 that day but..

Well, nice wins! BUT it really comes down to driver competency in a WRX. They can be difficult to drive fast for the noobs. The first element is the launch (AWD can be tricky - bog and lose to a stock Honda Civic) and the second is nailing the shift points. It's completely necessary to bang the redline through each gear, otherwise you'll fall back below the turbo sweet spot.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

My room mate has a 00 GTI 1.8t with the garret chip and that thing pulls pretty hard tons of wheel spin in 1st & 2nd from a roll he stays pretty much at my side my car is stock at least engine wise good race though very fast on the freeway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast