Will a chipped GTI beat ME ??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Will a chipped GTI beat ME ??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know someone with a 02 GTi APR chipped w/ exhaust and when I only had an intake I destroyed ...

I know someone with a 02 GTi APR chipped w/ exhaust and when I only had an intake I destroyed him from a dead stop and then from a 20 I won but just by a tad so they are a respectable car but don't let all these posts fool you into thinking they are monster rex killa's!

Of course now I have up/mid/down pipes on the rex he dosen't play anymore and wants to sell the car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

SBW
    Im predicting that with just the APR chip, he'll run a low 15. If you drive at the very least decently, you'll beat him. A buddy of mine ran at waterfest with apr chip, turboback, shortshifter, intake I think and he ran a mid to high 14, on stock tires + wheel setup with lower tire pressure in front.

This I know, my friend and I were just at Waterfest and APR chipped his car(gti 337) and its quick but not mid to low 14 quick.

By the way, props to my boy Ugly who won the european car magazine 1.8t shootout. 372 @ the wheels, if anyone was at waterfest and saw the cosmic green gti under the euro car mag tent, that was his.

WRONG!! last year my season best with only and intake and a BOV, was 14.998.. which is a 15 basically... Car and driver says 15.2 for the GTI 1.8t stock.

Right now my best so far with a chip and half an exhust (3" Down pipe and 3"cat.. with stock muffler) Is 14.414. Chiped cars alone are scoring 14.5's +/- now that is still not what a stock WRX runs.. I don't have half of your buddys mods and I'm quicker..

With a full turbo back and chiped APR 100 octane, which I don't have.. people are scoring 13.8's

With this race I would put my money on the guy who has had his car the longest.. basically saying the driver who knows his car the best will pull ahead in the race.
    Last edited by whodeani; 07-29-2003 at 10:42 AM.
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

SBW
    Originally posted by whodeani
    WRONG!! last year my season best with only and intake and a BOV, was 14.998.. which is a 15 basically... Car and driver says 15.2 for the GTI 1.8t stock.

Right now my best so far with a chip and half an exhust (3" Down pipe and 3"cat.. with stock muffler) Is 14.414. Chiped cars alone are scoring 14.5's +/- now that is still not what a stock WRX runs.. I don't have half of your buddys mods and I'm quicker..

With a full turbo back and chiped APR 100 octane, which I don't have.. people are scoring 13.8's

With this race I would put my money on the guy who has had his car the longest.. basically saying the driver who knows his car the best will pull ahead in the race.
    I watched several different 1.8t gti's that were APR chipped with full turbo back and more run high 14's, with my own eyes. How can you even argue that?

15.2 is the best times that could be had with a professional driver, as real world experience will show most 1.8t gti's stock run mid 15's.

Southpaw - I know most of the vw crew in milford/stratford area, who is it that you're racing?
    Last edited by SBW; 07-29-2003 at 11:20 AM.

Well True I can't argue with what you saw.. but those are some sad times....

I could see those times if it were in colorado at 5200 Ft above see level.. but here in Cali, Chiped cars with full turbo backs are running VERY low 14's and some even running high 13's here check out this link for your self..

Look at the mid 14's those guys are with chips and oem Cat backs and oem down pipes.. no exhust what so ever on some of those.. just a chip #'s 83 to 91 no exhust just chips

First colum is the 60"
    Second colum is motor type AWD and so on..
    Third colum is what turbo.. K03 is stock K04 is what the Audi TT 225 runs (upgrad for us).
    Fourth Colum is what chip (APR, GIAC, UP, REVO...)
    Fifth colum is what size DP they are running 2.5" or 3" or OEM (factory = oem)
    Sixth colum is Cat back size (oem, 2.5", 3")
    Seventh colum is NOS

Look and see these times for yourself.

http://www.18turbo.com/quarter.html
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03

SBW
    I've seen that site, I was into vw's for a long time. I dont know the variables about those peoples runs, but even most of my friends who currently drive 1.8t's agree its pretty tough to break into the 14's with just a chip.

Look at the times on pocketrocket.ca, many of those times posted are unbelieveable.

You must consider what else produced those times involved on that page. They post nothing about what tires or LSD's were used, which are usually needed to get good times with 1.8ts. Usually, APR chipped 1.8ts have gobs of torque anyway and gets lots of wheelspin. If this kid lowers his tire pressure, isn't running stock tire's, and does the ABS fuse trick, and only has a chip he may break 15's IMO.

You have some good points.. LSD and slicks..

More people run slicks than LSD.. LSD cost $1K not including labor.. so most guys don't have them unless. 1) they have deep pocket books. or 2) The word is that once we hit 250 -270 to the wheels,at this point the car can't handle it, and a LSD is needed.. At 250 to the wheels people are right around 13.5's +/- and that is respectful..

I've yet to run into a 1.8t with a LSD. most guys that I run into aren't running the slicks.. until they enter the high to mid 13's.. I would say 99% of the guys in the 14.s on the sight are running stock rubber.. the guys in the 13's I would say that 80% are running slicks.

But your times are still way off.. like I said I ran a 14.998 stock NOOO chip.. Your friends can't drive their cars then.. enough said. That is just sad to get break into the 14's with a chip. just sad. and intake can get you into the 14's.
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03

My buddies beth and brian

ran a 9.4 in the 1/8...in the 1/4 I think his best time now is a 14.6 or 14.7...here is a list of the mods...

AEM CAI
    Milltek Catback Exhaust
    Forge DV

SBW
    Its obviously debatable till we're blue in the face. But waterfest was held at englishtown which is normally a fast track since its at sea level and I saw mostly high 14 sec times from my friends and others. They had turboback, chips and more. I apologize for going OT, but I think southpaw can beat him. Even if the gti's chipped...

Argh! I've been monitoring this thread for days so I can see what the results of the race are. Every time I see it at the top of the list it gets my hopes up, and then they are dashed down by debate. C'mon Southpaw, race the guy!
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I think we are dealing with a difference of what a good driver will pull and what a phenomonal driver with plenty of car prep (race gas, pulling seats, drag radials etc.) will pull.

Drew has the fastest K03, non nitrous run. He lives near me and we have hung out several times. I don't know about that specific run but I know that he normally takes out everything he can from the car. front/rear seat, spare etc. I believe he also is running a 100octane program and with his 60' he is running some kind of drag radial.

The time below his has a really really high trap speed. It looks like he either sprayed a little or used a 'g' meter (forgot the brand name) to determine his time. They can be several mph high on the trap speed.

I know of a few guys with LSD's in their 1.8ts.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Yes my street time in my sig was from the G Tech Pro Compatition. The MPH is off.. but the times are right on.. I carried it along to the track one time and my times at the track were off .002 and .005.

I then handed it over to my buddy running his 300zx TT. who scored 13.2's. Also his times were off by about the same.. 1000 th's of a second.
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03

I stayed neck and neck with a stock WRX when I had a APR chipped '02 AWP GTI. The biggest problem I had was from a stop in first geat. If you mash the pedal down, you get some rediculous wheel hop. Also, hehe...I was lucky enough to hitch a ride in a VW Golf with the APR Stage 3 kit on it. I think they claim 300 HP and high 12 second 1/4s with that kit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12