correct way to race??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on correct way to race?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know this maybe a stupid question..but...i'm sure i am not the only one thinking it. starting at the launch ...

correct way to race??

I know this maybe a stupid question..but...i'm sure i am not the only one thinking it. starting at the launch till you cross the finish line explain what your technique is. I am most interested in the different techniques people are using to launch since this is one of the most important aspects for the wrx if we plan on beating many of those muscle cars.
    wrxfx Intake
    K&N Filter
    OZ 17" Superleggera
    Dunlop 215/45 W-10
    Brullen Cat-Back

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well.. there's plenty of notes on how to launch.. so technique during the race hmm.... well... like any sport you have to have the will to win and the heart to pound out the victory. my technique is actually very simple. redline every gear, and don't look back till you cross the line. For me personally, i have to block out the other car, just race yourself... i mean.. you can't change or alter the way the other person drives.. so just stay consistent. shift fast, but not hard... i'd rather lose the race than blow my engine.

---RaCinWRX

Re: correct way to race??

Win!

Seriously though, I think RaCin hit it right on the head. Race yourself and don't worry about the car next to you. You can only do as good as you can do and then just let the car decide if you win or not. It's too easy to psyche yourself out depending on who's (or what's) next to you. Just race it the cleanest way you can and you'll be doin' great. My $0.02...
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I would suggest not shifting at redline since boost tapers off around then. Shift at 6-6.5k. If you are worried about not messing up your car, don't race.

the correct way is on the track
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

when i say redlining, i don't mean actually being IN the red. i mean right when the needle is ABOUT to hit or does it 7krpms (redline for wrx) then we shift.

I still don't really like shifting early at 6 or even 6.5krpms, simply b/c when i shift to the next gear, i'll start (I believe) at the higher point on the power curve. Also if i shift a bit slower out of the last gear, i still have a little room for error.

--RaCinWRX

Here's the power curve for the subie wrx:

http://www.maitreg.com/cars/impreza/2002/wrx_curve.asp

Last edited by RaCinWRX; 03-20-2002 at 03:19 AM.

Quite an interesting debate brewing... which is more correct then? 6-6.5krpms or 7???

Almost all of my racing buddies agree that going to the redline is the best way to race. although they do concede it's really how the power curve is. Most of them do have vtech engines, and only a few turbo or super charged.

so anyone else want to chime in on the most correct way to race this wrx?

---my opinion still stands.. 7krpms baby!! RaCinWRX

From my experiences and knowledge, you should shift AT redline. (7000rpm, for stock Rex)
    I highly recommend you DO NOT shift at 6000rpm, depending on gearing. Assuming gearing is standard, if shifting at this RPM, you will drop off the bulk of the power and torque curve, and will slow you down. I tried it once, and was 0.6 sec slower to the quarter mile. It is more beneficial to go to redline, even though boost and power taper off a little, as once you have changed gear, you will land right back in the power band!
    I also know a few people with VTEC Honda's, and for their type of car, the HAVE to change at redline, according to them, as the VTEC doesn't come on till about 6000rpm! Some even say they shift after redline, at cuttout, as even when shifiting at redline, they fall out of the VTEC zone in some gears, and it takes forever to climb back to it. Back to the Rex, unless you have tuned your car for power down low, 7000rpm shifts are better (mabye at 6500rpm)
    Hope this helps, any other suggestions.

If you look at that curve that was posted, you'll see a downward slant starting at 6k rpm. That's what I'm talking about. If you shift at 6-6.5k, unless you shift really slow, you won't be out of the "power band". My boost starts at about 2800 rpms. If you shift at 6k and your car goes below that, something is either wrong with the driver or the car. If you have a MBC or EBC, don't worry about it, shift at redline.

BTW, not sure about on an AT, cause I don't have one.

Shift at redline.

I have spoken.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Shift at redline.

I have spoken.
    :bowdown:

All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

About time plat!!! thanks for the track story wrex4life, i've never tried it at the track, but i just intuitively knew that shifting before redline was wrong. i felt like i was the only racer for a little while defending the 7rpm thing!!

powerband does slope off at the end, but you're still high on the powerband after the slope. just don't go passed redline cause there's an almost exponential drop in power.

---RaCinWRX

I just looked at the power graph, and in my opinion, it shows all the more reason to shift at redline. It doesn't show the power all the way to redline, but by looking at the downward slope of the graph, it will not go down too much after that. Also, the power curve is pretty steep, so if you shift earlier, you will be at an rpm level with 25hp or so less. One more thing, someone said that they can shift early because full boost comes on at 2800rpm. You might have full boost then, but in no way do you have full power by then, and he previous graph proves this. I just pulled out my old stock power graph (geez it has small numbers on it, ) And my power increases to about 4500rpm, then is pretty much flat from there on, with a slight drop after 6500rpm. (Must consider that my Rex is the old Gen one)
    Anyway, time to stop rambling.

God
    I HAVE to shift at redline. In fact I need gears that are closer together for better results. Then again, my power curve looks a lot different than most people's.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.