WRX vs Eclipse

This is a discussion on WRX vs Eclipse within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was in Jersey this weekend taking a friend of mine for a highway drive in the rex and we ...

WRX vs Eclipse

I was in Jersey this weekend taking a friend of mine for a highway drive in the rex and we passed one of the new body style eclipses. He had an exhaust and a bunch of gauges so I figured I would show my friend what the rex was made of. We waited for traffic to clear and dropped down to about 40 and floored it. I kept looking to my left to see if he was starting to pull on me and he never did. I never saw his car. We got to about 100 and he must have been about 1.5 car lengths behind. We went at it a couple of times and he was never able to get anything on the rex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ack cough a 3rd Gen model huh? Sorry but they aren't the sports car they used to be. You should have beaten that thing. Start modifying it and you should continue to beat them only bettering the distance between the two of you at the finish.

i did beat him....every time....i was the rex...he had nothing on me....

i didn't know that he was going to be such an unworthy opponent....first kill so i guess this will help with my confidence....time to start playing with the big boys....

Are you sure about the model year? If it had gauges than I am guessing it is not the current model. They are normally aspirated V6's. No need for the gauges. Did it have the grooves on the side (ala Ferrari Testerossa)?

It did have grooves in the side. I was pretty sure that it came stock normally aspirated so I figured it had some serious mods in it if it had gauges....that's why I was so surprised that I took it out with little effort.

Hopefully no Eclipse guys get offended by this, but the 3rd gen Eclipse is a girl car. It was specifically designed and marketed toward women, like the new Cougar was.
    I mean, the new Eclipse is a nice car to putt around in, it's kinda heavy and soft and rides & handles like a Buick. It's definitely not fast, nor is it mod friendly. The trans is only marginally stronger than plywood. My wife has a 2001 Eclipse GT and it had the trans replaced at 7500 miles because it tossed 3rd gear. The only mods were a CAI and an exhaust. My wife is not an abusive driver by any means, either.
    We know a couple of guys at the Mitsu dealer, and they say the trans is on the ragged edge, bone stock. It actually is kind of a shame, because the engine has loads of potential. Seems like a step backward for Mitsubishi, considering how many 2nd gens were running 11's and 12's.
    Urban legend has it there's one running a turbo kit and nitrous somewhere, I'd be interested to see how far it can go before it grenades the tranny, or what's been done to strengthen it. The only way I could see anyone having a heavily modded 3rd gen that didn't blow up trannys all day would have to get sportronic will the full-on Level 10 rebuild ($4k +), because the 5-speed might as well be made of rubber bands and popsicle sticks.
    I have yet to see a 3rd gen Eclipse that I'd need to go more than half throttle to walk. Mitsubishi took a great car and turned it into a joke, they must be run by former GM execs or something, it seems like they wanna turn all their cars into underpowered overweight luxo-crapmobiles or something. Maybe the EVO will come over here, to compete with the popularity of the WRX.
    02 WRX TXS stg.1
    93 MX6 75 shot n2o
    00 Ducati M900

Originally posted by willyg
    Urban legend has it there's one running a turbo kit and nitrous somewhere, I'd be interested to see how far it can go before it grenades the tranny, or what's been done to strengthen it.
    Actually, there is a turbo available for the 3rd gen now. A friend here at work has a spyder and is looking at getting it (around $3K, includes everything). I happen to think are pretty nice cars and fairly quick. Quick as a WRX, no. Quick as a previous gen Eclipse, no. But who knows, time will tell.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Originally posted by willyg
    I mean, the new Eclipse is a nice car to putt around in, it's kinda heavy and soft and rides & handles like a Buick. It's definitely not fast, nor is it mod friendly. The trans is only marginally stronger than plywood. My wife has a 2001 Eclipse GT and it had the trans replaced at 7500 miles because it tossed 3rd gear. The only mods were a CAI and an exhaust. My wife is not an abusive driver by any means, either.

because the 5-speed might as well be made of rubber bands and popsicle sticks.
    willyg,

Ouch. LOL I wonder if the Evo VII is going to eat it's own transmission.

-Jim