Ws6? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Ws6? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just traded in my 1999 WS6 (Caroline)............. For a 2003 Rex (Amber) The first (and only) time I ever ...

I just traded in my 1999 WS6 (Caroline)............. For a 2003 Rex (Amber)

The first (and only) time I ever went to the drag strip, I was in the WS6. I only ran two times (1/4 mile) and both times I pulled low 13's. It was stock then. Later on, I added an exhaust, lid\K&N, short shifter, and 315/35/zr17s on the rear. I'm sure that if I had taken it back to the track with those mods and a little more racing experience, I'd have broken into the mid/high 12's.

Just judging from my äss-dyno, however, my friend's '03 Rex with only a MBC and a turbo back could at least hang with the WS6. They aren't very light cars at all, and it was very tricky learning to launch that thing without breaking the rear tires loose.

Just a previous WS6 owner's 2 cents.
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A couple of guys in the club have WS6s they use as daily drivers. I didn't know the WS6 came in A4 considering the 6 is suppose to represent the fact it is a 6 speed car... Anyways stock these things run low 13s easy on the quarter, and any race where they are allowed to cycle through all 6 gears, they normally win. Like stated earlier, you have a good chance to take one if your going from a stop and less than a 1/4. and NO a stock WRX can't beat a WS6, so I don't know who said that or why... I raced one at the track, which is when I ran my 11.31@118.5 which was a while back, I belive the WS6 was hitting a good 386whp and 415lb-ft torque, probably got around 12.04. Later on he broke 11s. Nice cars, have lots of room for upgrades, just most people dont take the time to do them. I invisioned a silver one with black rims, T-tops and a black Firebird logo smack dab in the middle of the hood like they use to do with the early trans ams.
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

Originally posted by C9A1L1L
    A couple of guys in the club have WS6s they use as daily drivers. I didn't know the WS6 came in A4 considering the 6 is suppose to represent the fact it is a 6 speed car... Anyways stock these things run low 13s easy on the quarter, and any race where they are allowed to cycle through all 6 gears, they normally win. Like stated earlier, you have a good chance to take one if your going from a stop and less than a 1/4. and NO a stock WRX can't beat a WS6, so I don't know who said that or why... I raced one at the track, which is when I ran my 11.31@118.5 which was a while back, I belive the WS6 was hitting a good 386whp and 415lb-ft torque, probably got around 12.04. Later on he broke 11s. Nice cars, have lots of room for upgrades, just most people dont take the time to do them. I invisioned a silver one with black rims, T-tops and a black Firebird logo smack dab in the middle of the hood like they use to do with the early trans ams.
    ???

WS6 is an option package that has been around long before the 6 speeds were introduced in 1993. It was basically just a suspension upgrade on 3rd gens (1983-1992 Firebirds...), and also available on other Pontiac models (currently the new Grand Prix GTP as well). It does not represent anything to do with a 6 speed gearbox.

Also, I don't know why you state anything about a race with one cycling through all 6 gears. LOL 6th is such a deep overdrive, that it is entirely useless for anything other than improving your gas mileage. Top speed is actually achieved in 5th gear, as 6th gear is too tall to allow much, if any, acceleration beyond triple digit speeds. If you run 5th to redline and upshift, you'll slow down...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Yeah those WS6 are bad cars my freinds got one and he let me drive it that thing was defintly faster than my WRX, both of witch are stock I know spinning the tires when shifting don't mean its fast or has a lot of power but its just feels cool when you shift to 3rd full throttle with traction control on and it spins the tires

Eh, WS6 option, watever lol They've always just been second fiddle to the Camaro (although they did bring the heat a few years!) All I know is what the guys in the Club have told me, and we have raced (Corvette/WS6/Camaro) and I was in the car with the Edmond who was in the WS6 and he went through ALL 6 GEARS and from the shifting the other guys were doing, they did it too. Dunno about your statement on the 6th gear only being for gas millage People use to say that about the 5th gear, pfft, I don't believe the hype. But thanks for out WS6 history lesson. LOL very informative....

Originally posted by ebr0t
    theres a yellow one with black wheels and a black top (of course i like it) i think its a ws6 anyways...i love the way pontiacs sound, they just look like ass 99.9% of the time
    thats the 2002 limited edition...

lol the 6 doesnt mean 6 speed... its just a suspension/raim air package. nothing more. it has a better lower air box too. thats IT. its no better than a regular t/a. imho, its not worth the extra cash for a hood and some suspension parts if youre into 1/4 mile only.

now, they usually run 13.5 at about 105-107... there have been a few freaks that trap at 109 or 110 stock. actually quite a few.

if youre on the stock turbo, you will not be beating any ls1 anytime soon. it just wont happen. the stock turbo wont put out enough power. i raced my buddies 03 wrx and put 12-15 cars on him from a roll on... i just have lid/exhaust/filter/headers/oryp. and i had a slipping clutch. you will need an upgraded turbo to hang. they are fast cars.

Eh, WS6 option, watever lol They've always just been second fiddle to the Camaro (although they did bring the heat a few years!) All I know is what the guys in the Club have told me, and we have raced (Corvette/WS6/Camaro) and I was in the car with the Edmond who was in the WS6 and he went through ALL 6 GEARS and from the shifting the other guys were doing, they did it too. Dunno about your statement on the 6th gear only being for gas millage People use to say that about the 5th gear, pfft, I don't believe the hype. But thanks for out WS6 history lesson. LOL very informative....

he must have had different gears for the 6th gear to be functional for racing... with the 3.42 gears the 5th gear is a single overdrive gear, and 6th is double overdrive... its useless. your buddy is probably a ricer in disguise.

Originally posted by AmethystGTO
    he must have had different gears for the 6th gear to be functional for racing... with the 3.42 gears the 5th gear is a single overdrive gear, and 6th is double overdrive... its useless. your buddy is probably a ricer in disguise.
    The Edmond, a ricer... Hahahahaha. Try a 38yr car enthusiest who I am sure knows at least a "little more" than your average ricer. There is a reason he is "The Edmond" lol I have no idea what any deal is with 6 gears or what ever, but while playin "hopscotch" in the street with Mert and Luis he popped all 6 of them. Who cares, everyoen knows REAL cars only need 4 gears anyways!

I ran a WS6 LS1 the other day, from a 20-30 roll, up to about 80-90.... it was pretty even, though I had him by a bit. I was surpprised casue from a roll they are bad, and trap real fast.

I have UP, DP, CAI, Pully, Cat back, and a Yoshio ECU.... oh yea and about 300lbs less that a WRX

The Edmond, a ricer... Hahahahaha. Try a 38yr car enthusiest who I am sure knows at least a "little more" than your average ricer. There is a reason he is "The Edmond" lol I have no idea what any deal is with 6 gears or what ever, but while playin "hopscotch" in the street with Mert and Luis he popped all 6 of them. Who cares, everyoen knows REAL cars only need 4 gears anyways!
    I open road race my WS6 and I can tell you that 6th gear is for gas mileage only. With the stock 3.42 gearing, if you remove the factory 162 mph speed limiting, 5th gear is good for 175 mph at 6200 rpm. If you hit 6th gear at those speeds your car will slow down by 30+ mph.

Originally posted by Simp
    Ah, how quickly I forget they make these cars with automatics

Yeah, high stall, bolt ons, and some juice will see mid 11s pretty easy.
    We've had some folks running 11.8s on stock heads and cam. One guy through a cam in the mix and is now running 11.20s at 119. The only time I wish I had bought an A4 is when I'm at the track. Otherwise, my M6 is way too much fun to drive.

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    I think the WS6 probably didn't feel impressive and that your WRX feels like it pulls harder merely due to the fact that the torque curve on the LS1 is so flat, and there is no turbo lag. So you don't have the feeling of the turbo kicking in, but rather just a strong constant pull the entire time from 2500-6200 rpm on the LS1.
    You hit it right on the head. That is why these two cars drive totally different. I'm not a fan of the turbo lag though, I wish my wagon was as smooth as my SS.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.