miata/mazdaspeed protege

This is a discussion on miata/mazdaspeed protege within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; whats up guys, i was just at the mazda revitup today, did pretty well, should have had like 570-580 pts ...

miata/mazdaspeed protege

whats up guys, i was just at the mazda revitup today, did pretty well, should have had like 570-580 pts but eneded up w/ 470, but i hit a stupid cone, sooo mad, i was only like 2.2 seconds off the pro driver, anyway, i spent a lot of the day driving the mazdaspeed protege and the miata 6speed. The miata feels like a go kart, and the mazdaspeed protege is pretty good for what it is, it is exceptionally balanced, but still lacking in the hp dept. it was a short course, but i was reving to redline and there was not a real kick like in a wrx, it handlede really well, not to much understeer, unless u get on the gas a little too early like i did, but it slaloms reall fast and quick, fun car, but not as fun as the wrx, and i got to launch it a few times, just straight wheel spin, the first time i slipped at like 4500 and the wheels spun for like almost a full second(im not that good at launching yet, but have launched a rex fairly successfuly), i was like jeez hook up already, but it was overall a fun day, and after i did my two runs, i took a hairpin turn in second in the miata, hard downshift to first mid turn and just drifted the whole way out, it was f u n, as well as not bein possible to do in the mazdaspeed protege, overall ,w/ the protege selling for up to 5k over retail(20k+5k=25k!), its not worth it when u can get a wrx for 23 and then have 2k in mods, and destroy that thing in corners, if they do this event again next summer, i would definitley reccomend it to all, esp for 40 bucks, and maybe well be able to drive the rx-8 next year!, peace
    2004 PSM sedan - 5 speed
    helix rsb + endlinks/gutted uppipe/whiteline steering rack bushings
    stg II next spring...
    AIM: maxler3
    gutted up pipe for sale - $60 shipped anywhere in the US. pm for details

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i drove a speed protege before my wrx, totally liked it except for the lack of hp, had only 900 miles on it when i swapped it for my suby, really no comparison
    ''ya wanna go"

the prot only had 852 on the odo, so im guessing it will increas pwr a little over time, but it feels like ud have to stick two motors in there to go fast!
    2004 PSM sedan - 5 speed
    stg II next spring...

Yeah, my felt the smae way, decided to trade mine in after gettring flamed by a wrx
    ''ya wanna go"

Originally posted by evilrex
    Yeah, my felt the smae way, decided to trade mine in after gettring flamed by a wrx
    good choice...
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Yeah, i thought so, love my car now
    ''ya wanna go"

just to clear things up a tad bit... the Mazdaspeed Protege is the turbocharged one, right?
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

yep, has small turbo and great suspension, they use Tokico shocks at all corners, they handle pretty good for 20k
    ''ya wanna go"

You get the record to the longest sentence on Earth. Congrats!
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by pdrpowerofWRX
    just to clear things up a tad bit... the Mazdaspeed Protege is the turbocharged one, right?

And I quote:

"The turbocharged version of the standard Protégé's 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engine means that the 2003 MAZDASPEED Protege can give out 170 hp at 6000 rpm versus 130 hp for the standard version. The MAZDASPEED also offers 160 lbs-ft of torque at 3500 rpm. Available in 5-speed manual transmission, it offers great fuel economy as well as a solid feel, and enviable cornering ability."

More specs here. Enjoy.

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/2003-ma...d-protege.html

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    You get the record to the longest sentence on Earth. Congrats!
    i take after jack kerouac, yea right
    2004 PSM sedan - 5 speed
    stg II next spring...

MSP is so bad ass. I had a deposit on one before my WRX. Kinda wish I still got it, its just detuned from factory, comes stock with a Garret T25.

even though mazda 2.0's have a good reputation for handling boost, its still the same motor as the N/a protege, and fwd, sorry but I'll take awd and 60more hp for less money anyday, although the interior is nicer than the wrx, imo

the MSP is selling for 5k over retail??? I have seen them for 19k in my area.

imo it is a seriously underpowered car, by just looking at statistics and talking to a guy who just bought one.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback