stock WRX VS. modded GTI 1.8T
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on stock WRX VS. modded GTI 1.8T within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Before you read: These races were done on 5-lane freeways at like 3am with no cars around. My buddy has ...

stock WRX VS. modded GTI 1.8T

Before you read: These races were done on 5-lane freeways at like 3am with no cars around.

My buddy has a 2003 GTI 1.8T with Borla exhaust, DP, N72 valve, APR chip w/ 100 Octane option. I raced him on the freeway going up to 120 w/ my stock 2002 WRX and we were head to head, if anything I'd pull on him by about half a car. He doesn't want to launch his car, so we never race off the line, but he did admits that hed lose. The only time that he beat me was when he pumped 100-octane gas in his car. With race gas he put about 5 cars on me racing from 60-120. The race gas makes a huge difference; he said it's something like 25WHP. (This was 2 months ago)

Just recently, I got a full exhaust (except the mid-pipe), Ecutek, K&N filter. Racing on the freeway from a 60MPH roll, me (91 octane), him (100 octane) wed be head to head until about 120MPH then by 140MPH Id pull on him by about 1-1 cars. His GTI with regular 91 octane wouldnt even have a chance with me on the freeway, lets not even discuss it from a stop. I'm actually very impressed with his car. Stock they are fairly slow, but it can be made a lot faster with a couple of easy mods and some race gas. GTIs are very cool cars, I just dont like the fact that they are FWD. I think the R32 AWD is a very nice car, even though Im not a big fan of VW.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would think a 1.8t with the mods you listed would pull a stock wrx fairly hard from a roll. Just a chip on those things (the 93 octane one I think) is good for 225 to the crank. Thats the same as a WRX, with better gearing, lighter weight, and less drivetrain loss. Racing from a roll is easy too so..... I'm not callin BS, it just doesn't sound right.

good kill
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Originally posted by Simp
    I would think a 1.8t with the mods you listed would pull a stock wrx fairly hard from a roll. Just a chip on those things (the 93 octane one I think) is good for 225 to the crank. Thats the same as a WRX, with better gearing, lighter weight, and less drivetrain loss. Racing from a roll is easy too so..... I'm not callin BS, it just doesn't sound right.

good kill

Yeah, he thought the exact same thing, and he was surprised. I hang out with him everyday, so we've raced many times, and every time we got the same results. He even brought his friend with the same setup, and we got the same results. Its cool, I know you're not calling BS; I actually have the race on a digital camcorder, but I don't have a firewire port on my computer to transfer it, otherwise I'd post it here. I'm in the Bay Area: so if anybody wants to do it for fun, let me know.

he must of had a weak car from the factory or somting then. i am at stg 2 and have ran 13.4 sec 1/4's and my buddy has a 03 1.8t with basically the exact same mods that yours has and with both of use using 92 octane i can normally gain about 6 inches from 30 - 100mph. so IMO there has to be somting up with his setup.
    2002 Silver WRX with:

TurboXS MBC @ 15.5, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Shift Bushings, Godspeed Uppipe, Custom 3" Turboback Exhaust with 4" Bellmouth and Flowmaster Muffler, Eibach Springs, Diablo C9 18" Rims, Wings West body Kit and Wing

Originally posted by bigchris
    he must of had a weak car from the factory or somting then. i am at stg 2 and have ran 13.4 sec 1/4's and my buddy has a 03 1.8t with basically the exact same mods that yours has and with both of use using 92 octane i can normally gain about 6 inches from 30 - 100mph. so IMO there has to be somting up with his setup.
    I don't know man, we've tried this many times. The only way that he'd keep up with me on a 3rd gear roll from 60-120 is when he has 100 octane. dude, are you sure you're friend is using 92 octane , cuz when my car was stock I'd be head to head with him (both on 91 octane).

I'm the friend... that they brought along... I've witnessed many of these races between these two cars... the 100 octane is SICK!!

between the 03 GTI 5 speed and my car.. with 91 octance from a roll.. he makes me look like I forgot to hit the gas pedal... Oh and I don't know if AWD mentioned but the GTI had 13 lbs wheels.. Stock they have 24 lbs.. so that is a big difference with weight loss from the drive train.

Let me tell you this car with the 100 octance is a sub 14. second car.. like a 13.6 to 13.8..

with in 50ft.. it puts like 2 cars on me and keeps going it's not even funny!

Hey whats up AWD Turbo 4!

Long time no see... I'm picking up the 100 octance this friday.. look out

The races that I saw were only after the car was modded (WRX) with chip and then with chip and exhust, not to mention the light weight wheels that AWD Turbo has.. BBS's right at like 15lbs.?

So I never saw any of the stock races..

But I did race AWD Trubo with my setup twice.. but that was after he had the chip put in.

and I lose both times.. but I have half of an exhust and had no 100 octance program
    Last edited by whodeani; 07-21-2003 at 06:15 PM.
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

Originally posted by whodeani
    I'm the friend... that they brought along... I've witnessed many of these races between these two cars... the 100 octane is SICK!!

between the 03 GTI 5 speed and my car.. with 91 octance from a roll.. he makes me look like I forgot to hit the gas pedal... Oh and I don't know if AWD mentioned but the GTI had 13 lbs wheels.. Stock they have 24 lbs.. so that is a big difference with weight loss from the drive train.

Let me tell you this car with the 100 octance is a sub 14. second car.. like a 13.6 to 13.8..

with in 50ft.. it puts like 2 cars on me and keeps going it's not even funny!

Hey whats up AWD Turbo 4!

Long time no see... I'm picking up the 100 octance this friday.. look out

The races that I saw were only after the car was modded (WRX) with chip and then with chip and exhust, not to mention the light weight wheels that AWD Turbo has.. BBS's right at like 15lbs.?

So I never saw any of the stock races..

But I did race AWD Trubo with my setup twice.. but that was after he had the chip put in.

and I lose both times.. but I have half of an exhust and had no 100 octance program
    hey, what's up man.......how is the 100 octane going for you!!! lot of fun ha? we'll have to give it a little try on the freeway sometime.... when I raced you last time my car was stock except for a cat-back exhaust. I do have the 15lb BBS from the factory, weight makes a big difference. I'll try to make it to the next VW meet @ MV.

Later,

I'm suppose to pick it up this Friday the 25th.. so I don't have it yet.. I should have it by the next VW GTG..
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.